Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2013, 07:08 PM

405 posts, read 573,344 times

Advertisements

I don't know what this neighborhood is called but I'm relocating from Michigan and my office is located near DeVry University. Are there any modern high rises close to this area or would I have to go downtown for that? If so, what neighborhood or area would be the closest commute for what I am looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 07:17 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
The main DeVry Campus is technically in Roscoe Village I believe, but it's on the border of that, North Center, and Avondale. There's also some space in the Loop which is the CBD.

What is your monthly rental budget? It's easy to say you want something downtown until you realize how much it costs especially since you're coming from Michigan.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:23 PM

What is the CBD? Max $2,000 but I would really prefer to stay between $1,500-$1,600.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyab523 View Post
What is the CBD? Max $2,000 but I would really prefer to stay between $1,500-$1,600.
CBD = Central Business District. Where a bunch of office space is in a dense way. That would be the Loop. It has a lot of high rises but not a ton of people live there (~30,000). There are other neighborhoods around it with a bunch of high rises and way more people it should be noted.

$1500-$2000 per month can afford you a high rise. I'd think about these, and if you answer them we can give some guidance probably.
* What's the maximum commute each way you'd be willing to put up with?
* What do you want in a neighborhood?

To answer before, there's no neighborhood nearby with a bunch of high rises. However, there are high rises along the lake a few miles east of the DeVry Campus (if it's not the one in the Loop). Since the campus I'm thinking of is off of Belmont Avenue, if you lived in a high rise close to that street, you could just take a bus across the campus which would be like a 20-25 minute ride each way. That area is an excellent area to be in just in general anyway.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
CBD = Central Business District. Where a bunch of office space is in a dense way. That would be the Loop. It has a lot of high rises but not a ton of people live there (~30,000). There are other neighborhoods around it with a bunch of high rises and way more people it should be noted.

$1500-$2000 per month can afford you a high rise. I'd think about these, and if you answer them we can give some guidance probably.

To answer before, there's no neighborhood nearby with a bunch of high rises. However, there are high rises along the lake a few miles east of the DeVry Campus (if it's not the one in the Loop). Since the campus I'm thinking of is off of Belmont Avenue, if you lived in a high rise close to that street, you could just take a bus across the campus which would be like a 20-25 minute ride each way.
The campus I'm referring to is on West Bryn Mawr Avenue. I'd like to be at 30 mins for a commute and in a safe good neighborhood. I don't have to be close to shopping and stores, I just really like modern updated high rises. If one was in the middle of the country I'm sure I'd just live there.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyab523 View Post
The campus I'm referring to is on West Bryn Mawr Avenue. I'd like to be at 30 mins for a commute and in a safe good neighborhood. I don't have to be close to shopping and stores, I just really like modern updated high rises. If one was in the middle of the country I'm sure I'd just live there.
Oh that campus. That's basically in the suburbs. I think you have the wrong picture of Chicago though if you think most of it is high rise living and that you can get a high rise in any old neighborhood. Certainly there's a lot of it, but there's muuuuuch more low rise living. If you want to live in a high rise, then your commute via train each way is going to be in the minimum 30 minutes (for one building) and probably more.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:12 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

To answer before, there's no neighborhood nearby with a bunch of high rises. However, there are high rises along the lake a few miles east of the DeVry Campus (if it's not the one in the Loop). Since the campus I'm thinking of is off of Belmont Avenue, if you lived in a high rise close to that street, you could just take a bus across the campus which would be like a 20-25 minute ride each way. That area is an excellent area to be in just in general anyway.
Not even! I live off of Belmont and Kedzie. It's usually only a 15-20 minute bus ride, sometimes between 10-15 minutes from there to Belmont and Broadway. So I can imagine from East Lakeview to Devry it is probably like 10-15 minutes on average. Perhaps 20 on rare occasions when traffic is terrible, but I wll be honest, for some reason, Belmont doesn't get bad traffic. At least the section east of clark and west of the river. That section rarely does it get too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: