Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 03:20 PM

12 posts, read 71,691 times

Advertisements

So my employer wants me to move to Chicago in January. I haven't accepted the position yet but am very very close to moving. I've done a bunch of trolling around the forums here and they seem super useful, but I haven't quite found an answer to my question yet (unless there isn't really one).

I'll be working a block from the Clark stop in the loop, but am hoping to find a large-ish 1-bedroom or maybe smaller 2-br (I just recently got married so there needs to be plenty of space for 2) for less than $1500, and I'd like to not be right in the city. We both grew up in the suburbs, and she doesn't want to live right in the middle of the city. I also have a car (dont really want to use it for commuting though) so easy parking would be nice too.

I've got about an hour commute to work right now (living in queens and walk/subway to midtown) so anything less than that is fine. Are places like Lincoln Park or Logan Square worth looking into? or are there other places that might be better? Rogers park has some nice looking places listed on CL, but seems a little far. I do want to stay a short walk to the subway/metra. thanks for any info/input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 08:59 PM

55 posts, read 274,733 times
Wicker Park? It's only 4 stops away on the blue line...

Old 10-29-2007, 07:00 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
If you don't want to be right in the city, then you can try the nearby burbs of Oak Park and Evanston. Lincoln Park and Wicker Park are very much in the heart of the city, so those aren't the best options if you don't want city living. You could try some place like Ravenswood, or West Lakeview for more of a neighborhood feel.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:59 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Do you want to live in a similar neighborhood as Queens here? If you want a more residential area of the city, I would suggest areas like Jefferson Park, Lincoln Square, Ravenswood, Old Irving Park. These areas of the city are a bit less dense, but still in the city proper and you'll be able to take public transportation downtown.

Finding a two bedroom for less that 1500 shouldn't be much of a problem unless you are wanting a full amenity two bedroom apartment on the gold coast or in the middle of the LOOP. In many of the nicer city neighborhoods you should be able to find one from between 1100-1500 that should fit the bill, further out, even less.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:10 AM

thanks for the suggestions jessie and j.. those sound a lot more like what I'm looking for.

do you think a car would be useful/necessary if I'm living that far out? or would I be fine without it if I'm withing a few blocks of public transit?

Old 10-30-2007, 09:58 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachb7 View Post
thanks for the suggestions jessie and j.. those sound a lot more like what I'm looking for.

do you think a car would be useful/necessary if I'm living that far out? or would I be fine without it if I'm withing a few blocks of public transit?
If you are living in the burbs, it is doable, but a car would probably be nice. Anywhere in the city is doable without a car.
When you find places, you can go to Chicago Transit Authority | 1-888-YOURCTA and enter your apartment address and work address to see what the commute will be like via the el/buses.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:45 PM

319 posts, read 1,250,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachb7 View Post
So my employer wants me to move to Chicago in January. I haven't accepted the position yet but am very very close to moving. I've done a bunch of trolling around the forums here and they seem super useful, but I haven't quite found an answer to my question yet (unless there isn't really one).

I'll be working a block from the Clark stop in the loop, but am hoping to find a large-ish 1-bedroom or maybe smaller 2-br (I just recently got married so there needs to be plenty of space for 2) for less than $1500, and I'd like to not be right in the city. We both grew up in the suburbs, and she doesn't want to live right in the middle of the city. I also have a car (dont really want to use it for commuting though) so easy parking would be nice too.

I've got about an hour commute to work right now (living in queens and walk/subway to midtown) so anything less than that is fine. Are places like Lincoln Park or Logan Square worth looking into? or are there other places that might be better? Rogers park has some nice looking places listed on CL, but seems a little far. I do want to stay a short walk to the subway/metra. thanks for any info/input!
yay! another relocating new yorker. my husband and i just moved here 2 months ago (time flies). i grew up in the burbs but my husband grew up in brooklyn. i lived in nyc for several years and always had a challenging commute (most recently from bklyn to LIC, what a headache!!). i think you should come visit and check out different neighborhoods to get a feel for them. we both had lived in park slope, carroll gardens, williamsburg, etc. and we fell in love with the lincoln square/ravenswood/north center area (not sure where one ends and one starts). we like how it's more quiet, residential, but also has great restaurants and bars. i'm off the brown line as well as the metra, and i just take the brown line to transfer to the red for faster service downtown. good luck!

Old 11-02-2007, 11:51 AM

187 posts, read 945,974 times
no no no if your just moving there you gota live in the thick of it. how old are you? if your under 25 you gota live in lincoln park off lincoln avenue. any other age you gota live in wicker park or wriglyeville. if you have the money the gold coast is also in the thick of it.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:15 PM

I'm 26. the wife and I both grew up in the suburbs (her of a small city in ct, me of boston), and she kinda wants to get out of the city. So restaurants and bars is ok, but just looking for a place that feels more "neighborhoody" than "city"

Old 11-02-2007, 07:42 PM

97 posts, read 326,742 times
you should also consider that Chicago has MUCH less reliable public transportation than new york. trips that would take 10 minutes on the new york subway can take an hour in Chicago. Plus the CTA is always threatening to cancel service every 3 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago