Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 07:59 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times

Advertisements

I think blame is the wrong word. The absence of a strong middle class in CPS is the reason many of the schools are bad. I don't blame families for not living in Englewood and West Garfield Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 08:17 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Either way, there are a lot of great options in CPS right now, IF you are lucky, wealthy, or your kid is a brainiac. That's great for some of us, not great for the majority.
I feel like the neighborhood school options for K-8 are finally "good enough" to keep many middle class parents engaged in the system in select neighborhoods, but high school is still a real problem since the only true quality options are selective enrollment. And if your oldest kid tests in to one of the better schools, it doesn't mean your second or third or fourth child will. And it can be a really logistical pain to have your kids in various schools across the city.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:21 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
The reason there are not "solid middle class families" has more to do with the hostile attitiude toward legitimate employers. Look at places like Elk Grove Village, Romeoville, Addison, Bensenville, or even Gurnee, the kinds of jobs there are heavily biased toward "logistics", which, no secret, are often kind of labor intensive and not really all that hard to fill with folks of just average skills. If folks that run those companies no doubt COULD have put their warehouses and distribution facilities INSIDE Chicago especially out near the airports or down near the terminus of the Skyway or Dan Ryan, but the Teamsters would have had clout with City Hall and the connected building contractors would have charged boatloads more to do the same work that some non-union firms did out in the collar counties.

The same sort of forces that have caused the bankruptcy of Detroit are part of the problem in Chicago and folks that do not want to acknowledge that are not going to make any progress...

Old 11-12-2013, 09:48 AM

Well, the employment center for the "middle class families" that are being discussed in this article is clearly the greater Loop, and the jobs that they have are typically professional-level. 46% of 25-34 year olds living in the city of Chicago have at least a bachelor's degree, and that is higher than any other major city in the U.S. for that particular demographic (according to the Tribune article being discussed). Employment is not the issue.

"Chicago demographer Rob Paral points out that the 25- to 34-year-olds counted from 2007 to 2011 are even better educated than those in 2000. The Census Bureau's American Community Survey found 46 percent of the residents in that age bracket had a bachelor's degree or higher, compared with 36 percent in 2000. Among America's top 10 cities, Chicago recorded the highest percentage of young college grads and the largest increase since 2000."

Old 11-12-2013, 10:20 AM

The overall base of employment that Chicago once had literally stretched from corner to corner and the trend that has destroyed the "old" Central Manufacturing District AND the Southeast Side mills AND the Northwest Side smalleer assembly facilities has NOT been offset with growth in the Downtown white collar employment that has LARGELY benefited Report: Downtown Chicago Job Growth Excludes Most City Residents | Progress Illinois

Old 11-12-2013, 11:54 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I feel like the neighborhood school options for K-8 are finally "good enough" to keep many middle class parents engaged in the system in select neighborhoods, but high school is still a real problem since the only true quality options are selective enrollment. And if your oldest kid tests in to one of the better schools, it doesn't mean your second or third or fourth child will. And it can be a really logistical pain to have your kids in various schools across the city.
Bingo. This.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The overall base of employment that Chicago once had literally stretched from corner to corner and the trend that has destroyed the "old" Central Manufacturing District AND the Southeast Side mills AND the Northwest Side smalleer assembly facilities has NOT been offset with growth in the Downtown white collar employment that has LARGELY benefited Report: Downtown Chicago Job Growth Excludes Most City Residents | Progress Illinois

I get that, and understand that most of the city is suffering from white flight and job loss while other areas are flooded with young college-educated people with higher-paying jobs. But the article referenced here is about people from the Midwest who move to Chicago after college, and then move to the suburbs when they have families. 100% of the warehouses/logistics operations could move from Bensenville and Franklin Park to the Northwest side of the city, and it would have little effect on this segment of the population.

But perhaps the Tribune missed the boat by focusing on 25-34 year-olds with college degrees. The "middle class" used to be a lot larger and more inclusive, and included many without college degrees. So I see where you're coming from, Chet.

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 11-12-2013 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: Needed to add Chet's quote for it to make sense.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:58 AM

158 posts, read 302,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Why? It's unAmerican - I mean, literally - and deeply divisive. There is no fair way to do this.
A kid could go to a secular private school too.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:14 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
it was the kids from dysfunctional environments that made going to school a problem.
And it's still that same way, in the schools and the neighborhoods.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:29 PM

Default Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I get that, and understand that most of the city is suffering from white flight and job loss while other areas are flooded with young college-educated people with higher-paying jobs. But the article referenced here is about people from the Midwest who move to Chicago after college, and then move to the suburbs when they have families. 100% of the warehouses/logistics operations could move from Bensenville and Franklin Park to the Northwest side of the city, and it would have little effect on this segment of the population.

But perhaps the Tribune missed the boat by focusing on 25-34 year-olds with college degrees. The "middle class" used to be a lot larger and more inclusive, and included many without college degrees. So I see where you're coming from, Chet.
Believe me, I like having neighbors out in the burbs that are part of the 1st generation immigrant experience as I think the drive and ambition they bring is a good thing. I similarly have no problem with folks that may not have a college degree but becuase of technical saavy can command a salary well into the six figures but the elites that are so eager to help connected developers make over parts of Chicago that used to hold appeal for these same folks are a trading short term "pop" of gentrification for a long term bimodal distribution of a permament underclass and an urbanophile upperclass with no signficant real "middle"...

When I see folks that are not just the advanced degree holders from Birla Institute of Technology settling first into Naperville but also folks that maybe came from a much less prestigous school or never finished college working as a technician but choosing to live in the burbs that really signals some problems that Chicago is going to face when it immigrants skip over Chicago altogether....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago