Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2013, 05:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,541 times

Advertisements

My wife and our 2 children plan on moving to Chicago in a year or so. I currently work for a company building decks, fences, pergolas, etc. What is the easiest way to find a job similar to what I'm doing now? I would also be fine with other types of construction such as working in the downtown area. Is most of the construction through the union or not? Im not interested in joining a union unless I had to. While in Chicago a few weeks back I noticed alot of construction downtown seemed to happen at night. Is 3rd shift common for construction there? Any help is appreciated. I've googled this but don't really find anything helpful. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 01:10 AM

6 posts, read 11,642 times
Chicago is union. Union trades have a vast majority of the market share. Shift work depends on the project or the neighborhood ordinances but usually it is during the day. Unless you are union there is little chance on doing work in the city legally. Many trades in the city are required to have proper training that is documented to even enter the job site. Building engineers will also check workers for credentials and union membership before allowing them to work in their buildings. You can get away with not being union more in the suburbs but even then you'll be making 30% less than the union worker. If all you plan on doing is "building decks and fences etc" you don't have to join a union but don't expect to be working in the city.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:29 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,963,361 times
Sounds like the type of work you do might be found more in the suburbs. Try places like Airhart, Keim, etc.
New Custom Home Builder and Developer - Airhart Construction They might be hiring..they build homes mostly. You probably won't be able to live in the city but could live in a nearby suburb.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:57 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,686,090 times
Construction is slow even for the unions, and fences and decks won't exactly be booming in the city limits. Maybe hire on with a place that makes garages?

Old 11-08-2013, 01:23 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,366,683 times
Fences and decks are non union. Work sucks for construction though.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,541 times
Thanks for the replies and apologies for it taking so long to respond. Is there a lot of competition for the carpentry union in Chicago? I am also considering going into business for myself (either what I'm doing now or trim carpentry) but not sure what the market is like in such a big city. I currently live about 2.5 hours southwest of Chicago in a city of about 100,000. Its not too hard to find a construction job around here but I can only imagine more people means more competiton for jobs. Whats your take on union construction? I've heard both good and bad things but don't know much about it. Thanks.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:36 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,796,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpyx View Post
Whats your take on union construction? I've heard both good and bad things but don't know much about it. Thanks.
Wages and benefits are better, working conditions and safety are better and you can retire with a nice defined benefit pension. I won't get into particulars in public but you can do very well, very well indeed, when the work is good.

The good guys find their way into the unions, there are ways, I know several once nonunion carpenters who became union. Talent finds money.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:09 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,527,835 times
Default This in not really honest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Wages and benefits are better, working conditions and safety are better and you can retire with a nice defined benefit pension. I won't get into particulars in public but you can do very well, very well indeed, when the work is good.

The good guys find their way into the unions, there are ways, I know several once nonunion carpenters who became union. Talent finds money.
Tom:

In all seriousness there is no such thing as a "union" garage / fence / pergola builder! I have met several union carpenters when I worked for CPS as well as when I had some contact with guys involved in office build-outs. These were very nice guys with good skills but they would freely admit that they did not get "recruited" from any normal light residental builders nor did they show up at the union hall without connections to existing union members. Even experienced people have to jump through some rather "insiders only" type hoops to have ANY SHOT at a rare apprenticeship slot -- http://goo.gl/Cp763T
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: