Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 11:33 PM

158 posts, read 144,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
Whenever I see a dog tied up outside I stop to pet him or her and sometimes keep them company til their people come back, and nearly every time I see someone walking a dog I ask if I can pet them. If you live in Lincoln Park and regularly walk your dog in the Clark/Belden area, chances are I've petted your dog at least once :3

I've never had anyone say no and they're usually pretty chatty about it, but I wondered if people might think it's weird or impolite.

Sue me, I love big cuddly doggies.
I think it’s very sweet. We have 2 dogs and sometimes while I’m walking them people do come over and pet them. The dogs love it and I think it’s very nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 12:57 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
I live in Lincoln Park and at the Trader Joes on Diversey, there are always dogs on leashes waiting outside (Trader Joes puts a water bowl out there for them when it's hot). I can't help but pet them

Old 11-15-2017, 02:07 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,810 times
I'ts not rude if you ask. I think these days many people keep to themselves and think it's wierd when people are friendly, something that years ago would be completely normal.

In regards to dogs definitely ask before you pet a dog. My dog is a great dog but if you come up and try to pet him he may bite you and then you'll be pissed off at me and try to report him and have my dog killed and then I'll have to send my dog out of state to live with family to avoid being killed all because you invaded his space and he bit you.

I don't mean to sound jerkish because my other little dog you can come up and pet no problem but it's always good to ask and not just rush up to a dog as you can startle the dog and if the dog isn't friendly or is skittish about strangers invading his space he'll be the "bad guy" even though he was approached and someone invaded his space.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:08 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
I think its ok but it does bring up the question, Who would get in trouble if a dog that is tied up bites you if you took it upon yourself to pet it? One would think it would be the "petter" but I've seen cases where the owner got in trouble too even though they weren't around when it happened.
A family friend had someone hop a 7 foot fence into their backyard, got bit by the dog and the dog was put to sleep so pretty much 99.9% of the time the dog is at fault even if according to common sense it isn't their fault.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:51 AM

306 posts, read 365,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
A family friend had someone hop a 7 foot fence into their backyard, got bit by the dog and the dog was put to sleep so pretty much 99.9% of the time the dog is at fault even if according to common sense it isn't their fault.
WTF has this world come to...

Old 11-16-2017, 12:10 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
Its very unwise to pet a strange dog. You don't know how it can react and you can get bitten. Also everyone says their dog is friendly and would never bite anyone. Yes they are friendly to their owners but unpredictable to strangers. Do not pet strange dogs period.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:02 PM

1,022 posts, read 773,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
WTF has this world come to...
That is very disturbing!!Human animals get away with everything and sadly the innocent animals are the ones that suffer

Old 11-20-2017, 09:15 AM

6,375 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Just to be on the safe side, I never do it unless the dog actively comes up to me. I'd rather not get to pat that particular dog than have to deal with an angry owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago