Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 09:40 PM

590 posts, read 1,012,304 times

Advertisements

Geronimo, the Indian guy? How did he make the list with Al Capone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 10:49 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,738,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
Geronimo, the Indian guy? How did he make the list with Al Capone?
Geronimo was a brigand. He was not an Indian patriot fighting for the freedom of his people, he was no Tecumseh or Little Turtle. Rather he was a predator who enjoyed a life of stealing, raiding, kidnapping and murder, in both Mexico and The United States. A brigand who happened to be an Indian.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 11-22-2013 at 11:01 PM..

Old 11-22-2013, 10:58 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,365,858 times
why would we disdain the french for pointing at the elephant in the living room? the violence pleads for your attention. why try to shut the crying child up? as long as france thinks u have a problem it will not get better, when u think there is a problem that will be the beginning of healing.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:42 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,059,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
What the French wrote wasn't any different from what many north siders and suburbanites write and speak daily.
Memphis, I think you're a very good poster.. But also, I have my own rants and agenda. And your bringing up "suburbanites" did make me think a little bit.

If you had kept it at "north siders," that would be on point. But you made the statement award by including suburbanites (north suburbanites?). It's an incredible generalization. And it's big talk for a Hyde Park resident. Hyde Park is filled with north side transplants and college students transplanted from another area of the country. Culturally, it's not very "south side". It serves as a mecca for south side business and a lot of upwardly mobile black south siders live there. But they live on the north side too. Any south side Irish or Polish culture will not be found in Hyde Park. I love Hyde Park's location. It's well within the city limits but still close to my home by both Metra Electric trains and I-94. However, IMO it doesn't have a whole lot that isn't offered on the north side.

I think that if you were to randomly select a Hyde Park resident, he or she would be far less likely to have explored Chicago's south side than a resident from suburban Oak Lawn or Dolton.. Hyde Park people stay in their little island unless they're going to the north side, the South Loop or downtown. People in Oak Lawn go to Ford City and are often times pretty familiar with the southwest side of Chicago. Black south suburbanites often family on the south side of the city or even used to live there themselves. I'm not black but I have family in Hegweich (a neighborhood south of 59th street).

Last edited by urza216; 11-24-2013 at 04:03 AM..

Old 11-24-2013, 10:25 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,956,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Memphis, I think you're a very good poster.. But also, I have my own rants and agenda. And your bringing up "suburbanites" did make me think a little bit.

If you had kept it at "north siders," that would be on point. But you made the statement award by including suburbanites (north suburbanites?). It's an incredible generalization. And it's big talk for a Hyde Park resident. Hyde Park is filled with north side transplants and college students transplanted from another area of the country. Culturally, it's not very "south side". It serves as a mecca for south side business and a lot of upwardly mobile black south siders live there. But they live on the north side too. Any south side Irish or Polish culture will not be found in Hyde Park. I love Hyde Park's location. It's well within the city limits but still close to my home by both Metra Electric trains and I-94. However, IMO it doesn't have a whole lot that isn't offered on the north side.

I think that if you were to randomly select a Hyde Park resident, he or she would be far less likely to have explored Chicago's south side than a resident from suburban Oak Lawn or Dolton.. Hyde Park people stay in their little island unless they're going to the north side, the South Loop or downtown. People in Oak Lawn go to Ford City and are often times pretty familiar with the southwest side of Chicago. Black south suburbanites often family on the south side of the city or even used to live there themselves. I'm not black but I have family in Hegweich (a neighborhood south of 59th street).
Maybe you are right.

My experience in Chicago suburbs is very limited. With the exception of Oak Park and a few other areas to the west, my experience is limited.

Hyde Park is a bubble that many refuse to travel outside of. I've mentioned many times that I assumed the whole city was Hydeparkish and there are many others who are like me.

Great post.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:45 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,059,287 times
I forgot to mention that Hyde Park is by the lake when I said that I love Hyde Park's location. A nice place to ride my bicycle or go grillin'. In spite of my comments, if I were to move to the city, Hyde Park is probably one of the first places I'd look.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:20 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,956,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
I forgot to mention that Hyde Park is by the lake when I said that I love Hyde Park's location. A nice place to ride my bicycle or go grillin'. In spite of my comments, if I were to move to the city, Hyde Park is probably one of the first places I'd look.
I lived in Oak Park for 6 months, Lakeview for a year and Hyde Park 4 years.

Hyde Park is my favorite with OakPark a very close second. Lakeview wasn't liked at all.

I've fallen in love with Edgewater as a visitor so I rank that high on my recommend list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago