Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 08:35 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
Thanks guys, great tips. I decided I'll leave suits at home as doesn't look like I will need them and this time I will have more lugagges to carry around because of the weather. I'll try with my leather jacket and a sweater underneath (and shirt) and see what happens. If it is still cold, then I'll buy some heavier piece of cloathing, either a coat or one of those windy jackets.

I do have gloves and even a hat (both bought in Chicago in October 2009, when one day I was walking in a shirt, the day after it poured rain and it went in the low 40's).

I have a scarf as well, aso I shall be fine, probably the worst issue might be with the feet as I don't have any heavy shoe/boots (I have been living in South Florida since 1998 so...no ned for that), but I'll leave some room in the luggages in case we have to buy something (which is something my wife will make sure of...).

We should get there on Saturday evening, so Sunday we'll go out and see if we need to buy something to wear. I mean in the morning, because at 1 pm I need to be in a bar to watch football.

Monday night we are at the Green Mill as Patricia Barner is playing live and don't want to miss her and TUE morning I plan on going to Christkindlmarket. By then I will know how we are dealing with the cold....

Honestly I am more concerned about the flight with this weather than the cold once I'm in Chicago.

Thanks and all I got to say at this point is: -2!!!!
A good pair of socks and you'll be alright, I still don't have any winter boots/shoes. This is going to be the first really cold weekend for us as well, so you can share in the adjustment. Booze helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 08:45 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Not good advice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
A good pair of socks and you'll be alright, I still don't have any winter boots/shoes. This is going to be the first really cold weekend for us as well, so you can share in the adjustment. Booze helps.
No "smiley face" so the OP (and any other goofballs...) ought to realize:

Alcohol for Warmth? -- Increased risk of hypothermia

Alcohol and cold weather don't mix : News : UpperMichigansSource.com

Old 11-22-2013, 08:53 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Thanks guys, great tips. I decided I'll leave suits at home as doesn't look like I will need them and this time I will have more lugagges to carry around because of the weather. I'll try with my leather jacket and a sweater underneath (and shirt) and see what happens. If it is still cold, then I'll buy some heavier piece of cloathing, either a coat or one of those windy jackets.

I do have gloves and even a hat (both bought in Chicago in October 2009, when one day I was walking in a shirt, the day after it poured rain and it went in the low 40's).

I have a scarf as well, aso I shall be fine, probably the worst issue might be with the feet as I don't have any heavy shoe/boots (I have been living in South Florida since 1998 so...no ned for that), but I'll leave some room in the luggages in case we have to buy something (which is something my wife will make sure of...).

We should get there on Saturday evening, so Sunday we'll go out and see if we need to buy something to wear. I mean in the morning, because at 1 pm I need to be in a bar to watch football.

Monday night we are at the Green Mill as Patricia Barner is playing live and don't want to miss her and TUE morning I plan on going to Christkindlmarket. By then I will know how we are dealing with the cold....

Honestly I am more concerned about the flight with this weather than the cold once I'm in Chicago.

Thanks and all I got to say at this point is: -2!!!!
Is it bad down in Florida this weekend? Chicago looks perfectly fine as far as weather for the next week. Doesn't matter how cold it is as far as the airports in Chicago.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:06 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
I wouldn't worry about the shoes unless you mean no heavy shoes with the fact you just wear sandals around There's no snow on the ground, nor is there any snow in the forecast, so you don't have to worry about boots or shoes regarding that. The coldness factor will only be a big factor probably if you have shoes that breathe a lot (i.e. some tennis shoes). When there's no snow on the ground, I wear normal leather shoes (Italian leather by the way ;-) ) and it's adequate.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:52 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Relax, grandpa. Drink some whiskey.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:43 PM

590 posts, read 1,012,829 times
Thank you all. I have regular Italian leather shoes, I wear in my hometown (Trieste, Italy) when I go with 35-40 degrees, I guess they'll be fine with 20 as well. My leather jacket is not super heavy, but I'll wear a sweater underneath and we'll see. Between the hat, scarf and gloves that my wife and I bought in Chicago in 2009 we should be fine. If it gets too cold...well, there's plenty of bars in Chicago!

At this time tomorrow I will be almost landing in CHI. I got to say it: right now, I am happy man! Who said happiness has to be about chasing dreams or crazy stuff?

Old 11-25-2013, 03:47 PM

424 posts, read 973,918 times
Winter/ cold weather clothing in Chicago requires a warm winter jacket or overcoat, definitely a hat and gloves. Don't forget a scarf since it can be windy, especially near the Lakefront. I was surprised when I worked in the Loop and in the dead of winter I'd see office workers going without a hat and in some cases scarf and gloves. A local news station did a segment about it during a very cold snap asking people why they weren't properly dressed haha

My friend who recently moved from LA to NYC wasn't sure what to wear to prepare for the cold weather and is still going without a hat in below freezing weather. Hasn't bought a hat since the cold caught him "off guard" Which I don't understand since 40 degrees feels more like 20 to him.

No need for winter boots unless there's a lot of snow and slush on the sidewalk. Sneakers and good walking shoes are fine. No sandals or flip flops though, even during summer that's a bad idea.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:09 PM

Default I think the guy is back home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
Winter/ cold weather clothing in Chicago requires a warm winter jacket or overcoat, definitely a hat and gloves. Don't forget a scarf since it can be windy, especially near the Lakefront. I was surprised when I worked in the Loop and in the dead of winter I'd see office workers going without a hat and in some cases scarf and gloves. A local news station did a segment about it during a very cold snap asking people why they weren't properly dressed haha

My friend who recently moved from LA to NYC wasn't sure what to wear to prepare for the cold weather and is still going without a hat in below freezing weather. Hasn't bought a hat since the cold caught him "off guard" Which I don't understand since 40 degrees feels more like 20 to him.

No need for winter boots unless there's a lot of snow and slush on the sidewalk. Sneakers and good walking shoes are fine. No sandals or flip flops though, even during summer that's a bad idea.
...it was a trip that ended Nov. 24. The OP has posted some updates.

BTW -- Anythought of using this as your avatar:

Old 11-25-2013, 05:41 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,954 times
Actually, no. He just got here on Saturday night.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:47 PM

Default Hey I guess so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Actually, no. He just got here on Saturday night.
Quote:
Great, thanks Maro. When I say near my hotel I mean within a 20-30 minute of either walking or public transportation so on the Red Line path is good as we are 2 blocks from the Chicago Red.

Thanks again for your help guys, time to head to the airport!
He apparently did LEAVE West Palm Beach last night. My bad

Last edited by chet everett; 11-25-2013 at 05:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago