U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-20-2013, 06:09 PM
 
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
585 posts, read 929,561 times
Reputation: 918

Advertisements

In 3 days I will see my favorite city again, can't wait. I have a question: I see that this year and especially next week temperatures will be below average with a few days way below zero. Beside the fact that my heaviest piece of clothing is a leather jacket, I was wondering if I should just buy a comfortable heavier wind jacket, or an overcoat, The reason I mention overcoat is because I don't know if some of the places I plan to go this year require a suit or at least a jacket.

The famous Green Mill for instance, are you expected to dress up in there? Violet Bar also seems to have a fame as "fancy". Does it mean you have to wear something different than jeans, sweater and leather jacket? I plan to go to several jazz clubs, and bars and I am targeting the Logan Square, Wicker Park, Bucktown area this time with some Uptown destinations.

Can anyone give me an idea if there are places like the ones I mentioned above that even if they don't mandate a jacket/suit, if you go too casual you'll be out of place?

Sorry if the question sounds silly, but I know for a fact that if we had a Green Mill down here in Sputh Florida, with that lineup they have, it would be "fancy galore" and everybody would be dressed up to the ninety.

Personally I have no problem wearing a nice jacket or suit, nor I mind jeans and casual dressing, it's the same, I feel comfortable anyway. I am just trying not to look like the obvious idiotic tourist...LOL

Thanks in advance!

-3!!!!!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2013, 06:52 PM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
15,322 posts, read 21,310,685 times
Reputation: 7293
Ha, you must still be on celsius . Definitely a little under average for the time of year though. How heavy is your leather jacket? Some leather jackets are definitely made for warmer weather and some for the cold. The overcoat idea is not a bad idea, though if you could just find a wool one, it would do. If you don't have gloves already, get some. If you have them, then bring em. Your ears may feel a little cold too which if you really are feeling cold with that, get some 180s (you can get them at Macy's and I think Target for example - 180s: Products for Unisex, Men's). Basic ones are around $30, though Macy's often has them on sale for closer to $20, and Target may have some knock offs for $10-$15.

As far as these places go that you mentioned - no you don't have to wear a suit or jacket at either of those places. Certainly there are places in town where it may be required, but Green Mill? No dress code there. You could basically come as dressed down or as dressed up as you want. You may see both on any given night.

I think you meant Violet Hour too. They have a little bit of a dress code, but it's more trendy. You could certainly wear a jacket there, but I've gone in there with nice jeans, a nice sweater, and a leather jacket before. I'd say that many guys go there without a jacket/suit but there are definitely some that do. If it looks good, and not like ****, that's pretty much what they care about. Their rules are basically along the lines of no hats, no tennis shoes, no sporting gear type of thing. Nice jeans, shoes, and sweatshirt is totally fine there though.

Read these about Violet Hour, basically:
The Violet Hour - House Rules - House Rules

Other places like Rosa's Lounge is again pretty casual.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2013, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Not where you ever lived
11,543 posts, read 28,025,501 times
Reputation: 6371
My experience with leather in winter is it is not warm. But, if you layer under it, and have warm slacks such as wool or insulated underwear you should be okay. Don't wear it on a plane (too hot) but do change before you leave the airport. The "Lake effect" winter weather in Chicago is hard to explain; it must be experienced. It makes me think Greenland is warm by comparison. However, you may not experience it. Hopefully it will warm and pleasant trip for you.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2013, 08:08 PM
 
28,461 posts, read 78,234,402 times
Reputation: 18590
Lake Effect snow is extremely unlikely in Chicago as the prevailing winds are from west to east. There are some rare instances when cold air is pushed out of the NE and that leads to moist air over the lake seeding localized snow flurries but that is all but impossible with the predicted weather patterns.

No sane person would wear insulated underwear this time of the year especially if they are heading to crowded lounges / nightspots. It is appropriate for enduring an outdoor sports event like a Bears game but in the sorts of weather we are likely to experience this weekend it would be MASSIVE overkill.

The predicted weather is almost certainly best addressed with a normal leather jacket with perhaps a heavier wool or cotton long sleeved shirt under it. If you also have a nice cotton, wool,or cashmere sweater to layer under it you should be fine. Similarly normal "outdoor weight" corduroy or wool-blend slacks are undoubtedly sufficient for the likely weather we will experience.

I like to wear gloves when the temperature are at a sustained sub-freezing state and/or I will be spending extended period outdoors but neither of those sound like the situation the OP will be facing. I do like to have a "performance fabric" type winter hat or earband to shove into my jacket pocket and pull on should I have to deal with cold /windy /damp weather but again if you not spending any extended period out in the cold (as I do when my dog decides to really sniff every last square inch of the park...) you very likely will be fine without such extra gear.

Last edited by chet everett; 11-20-2013 at 08:25 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2013, 09:29 AM
 
13,311 posts, read 15,173,292 times
Reputation: 8017
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Ha, you must still be on celsius . Definitely a little under average for the time of year though. How heavy is your leather jacket? Some leather jackets are definitely made for warmer weather and some for the cold. The overcoat idea is not a bad idea, though if you could just find a wool one, it would do. If you don't have gloves already, get some. If you have them, then bring em. Your ears may feel a little cold too which if you really are feeling cold with that, get some 180s (you can get them at Macy's and I think Target for example - 180s: Products for Unisex, Men's). Basic ones are around $30, though Macy's often has them on sale for closer to $20, and Target may have some knock offs for $10-$15.

As far as these places go that you mentioned - no you don't have to wear a suit or jacket at either of those places. Certainly there are places in town where it may be required, but Green Mill? No dress code there. You could basically come as dressed down or as dressed up as you want. You may see both on any given night.

I think you meant Violet Hour too. They have a little bit of a dress code, but it's more trendy. You could certainly wear a jacket there, but I've gone in there with nice jeans, a nice sweater, and a leather jacket before. I'd say that many guys go there without a jacket/suit but there are definitely some that do. If it looks good, and not like ****, that's pretty much what they care about. Their rules are basically along the lines of no hats, no tennis shoes, no sporting gear type of thing. Nice jeans, shoes, and sweatshirt is totally fine there though.

Read these about Violet Hour, basically:
The Violet Hour - House Rules - House Rules

Other places like Rosa's Lounge is again pretty casual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Lake Effect snow is extremely unlikely in Chicago as the prevailing winds are from west to east. There are some rare instances when cold air is pushed out of the NE and that leads to moist air over the lake seeding localized snow flurries but that is all but impossible with the predicted weather patterns.

No sane person would wear insulated underwear this time of the year especially if they are heading to crowded lounges / nightspots. It is appropriate for enduring an outdoor sports event like a Bears game but in the sorts of weather we are likely to experience this weekend it would be MASSIVE overkill.

The predicted weather is almost certainly best addressed with a normal leather jacket with perhaps a heavier wool or cotton long sleeved shirt under it. If you also have a nice cotton, wool,or cashmere sweater to layer under it you should be fine. Similarly normal "outdoor weight" corduroy or wool-blend slacks are undoubtedly sufficient for the likely weather we will experience.

I like to wear gloves when the temperature are at a sustained sub-freezing state and/or I will be spending extended period outdoors but neither of those sound like the situation the OP will be facing. I do like to have a "performance fabric" type winter hat or earband to shove into my jacket pocket and pull on should I have to deal with cold /windy /damp weather but again if you not spending any extended period out in the cold (as I do when my dog decides to really sniff every last square inch of the park...) you very likely will be fine without such extra gear.
These are both good advice. Enjoy your trip, I love reading your reports!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2013, 10:15 AM
 
11,288 posts, read 24,135,847 times
Reputation: 11227
definitely getting cold! It's 11C right now, but highs only around -3C this weekend and lows of -12C. Back up to highs around 1C for next week. You'll definitely be COLD coming from Italy.

Normal highs this time of year are around 6C to 7C. Unfortunate it's going to be cold.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2013, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Chicago
2,884 posts, read 4,465,254 times
Reputation: 2762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
definitely getting cold! It's 11C right now, but highs only around -3C this weekend and lows of -12C. Back up to highs around 1C for next week. You'll definitely be COLD coming from Italy.

Normal highs this time of year are around 6C to 7C. Unfortunate it's going to be cold.

Mo is actually coming from Florida, so yeah, it will be cold for them. I think that's probably a bit colder than normal for the end of November.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2013, 12:42 PM
 
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
585 posts, read 929,561 times
Reputation: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
definitely getting cold! It's 11C right now, but highs only around -3C this weekend and lows of -12C. Back up to highs around 1C for next week. You'll definitely be COLD coming from Italy.

Normal highs this time of year are around 6C to 7C. Unfortunate it's going to be cold.
No, the shock will be even worse: I am not coming from Italy, but from West Palm Beach, Florida (84 degrees today)...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2013, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
15,322 posts, read 21,310,685 times
Reputation: 7293
Just get a wool coat (unless your leather jacket is heavy), bring some gloves (leather works), and when you're here buy some 180s if your ears start to feel cold.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2013, 12:53 PM
 
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
585 posts, read 929,561 times
Reputation: 918
Thanks guys, great tips. I decided I'll leave suits at home as doesn't look like I will need them and this time I will have more lugagges to carry around because of the weather. I'll try with my leather jacket and a sweater underneath (and shirt) and see what happens. If it is still cold, then I'll buy some heavier piece of cloathing, either a coat or one of those windy jackets.

I do have gloves and even a hat (both bought in Chicago in October 2009, when one day I was walking in a shirt, the day after it poured rain and it went in the low 40's).

I have a scarf as well, aso I shall be fine, probably the worst issue might be with the feet as I don't have any heavy shoe/boots (I have been living in South Florida since 1998 so...no ned for that), but I'll leave some room in the luggages in case we have to buy something (which is something my wife will make sure of...).

We should get there on Saturday evening, so Sunday we'll go out and see if we need to buy something to wear. I mean in the morning, because at 1 pm I need to be in a bar to watch football.

Monday night we are at the Green Mill as Patricia Barner is playing live and don't want to miss her and TUE morning I plan on going to Christkindlmarket. By then I will know how we are dealing with the cold....

Honestly I am more concerned about the flight with this weather than the cold once I'm in Chicago.

Thanks and all I got to say at this point is: -2!!!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top