Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 10:05 AM

86 posts, read 158,635 times

Advertisements

Iowa City has hipsters?

This list is so dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 10:08 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,751,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantless1 View Post
Iowa City has hipsters?

This list is so dumb.
Yeah, I'm thinking that, based on their stated criteria, places on this list such as Iowa City and Madison don't have "hipsters" so much as "students." Granted there's some overlap, but if you're going to perpetuate the "hipster" stereotype there are so many things wrong with applying that label to many of the places that meet the stated criteria.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:06 AM

11,973 posts, read 31,644,361 times
Madison certainly has hipsters, though definitely a lot more hippies.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:05 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,844,640 times
In Madison, it would be difficult to distinguish the students from the hipsters, although more of the hipsters might be serving beer or driving cabs...or sitting in coffeehouses.

On second thought....who can tell?

Old 11-22-2013, 10:02 PM

536 posts, read 825,836 times
Just follow the long line of tucked back balls, skinny jeans, and grown men that look like a cross between Paul Bunyan and the artist formerly known as prince.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:12 AM

29,392 posts, read 19,480,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Albany Park is great..good people (for the most part) and good food too.
I lived in Albany Park for 36 years and moved out 3 years ago. At one point, it was about to turn into a ****hole back in the late 80's early 90's. Now, it's a little better, especially east of Kimball (really east of Kedzie), but imho not good enough to raise my two boys (which is why I moved).

As for it being "Hipster"..... NOT. It's a middle and lower income working class immigrant community.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:14 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,384,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I lived in Albany Park for 36 years and moved out 3 years ago. At one point, it was about to turn into a ****hole back in the late 80's early 90's. Now, it's a little better, especially east of Kimball (really east of Kedzie), but imho not good enough to raise my two boys (which is why I moved).

As for it being "Hipster"..... NOT. It's a middle and lower income working class immigrant community.
LOL my friend moved out of my flat when I was 5, and later said they moved because of the gangs. I lived in that same flat until I was 21 and barely(possibly never) encountered gangs. I lived on Troy and Sunnyside.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:50 PM

29,392 posts, read 19,480,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
LOL my friend moved out of my flat when I was 5, and later said they moved because of the gangs. I lived in that same flat until I was 21 and barely(possibly never) encountered gangs. I lived on Troy and Sunnyside.

Boy you must have either had blinders on, or never walked around after dark? Did you go to a public or private school? My cousin lived on Sunnyside, but moved to the north suburbs many years ago.

I lived on Leland and Kedzie, from 1974 to 1998, when I got married, then moved a couple blocks southeast to Wilson and Kedzie (east of Noon Kabob). I encountered gangs ALL the time. Latin Kings, Future Stones, SCR's, Cobras, SD, and yes even Vicelords at some section eight apartments on Kedzie and Argyle near the laundry mat north of Lawrence. The community has cleaned up over the last 10 years this is the truth, but the schools still suck, which is why I moved out.

I live in the far south suburbs now and for the foreseeable future. I used to make fun of my friends and family how lived in the suburbs.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:34 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,771,714 times
There's still some gang stuff here and there but it's not that bad. There are a lot of new immigrants there from the middle east as well recently. Can't speak to the schools there, but I like it from a community standpoint (i.e. businesses, some parks, etc). Have never felt unsafe there but it's not like i've been visiting since the 90s.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:50 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,185,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
It's a middle and lower income working class immigrant community.
and this is bad because?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There's still some gang stuff here and there but it's not that bad. There are a lot of new immigrants there from the middle east as well recently. Can't speak to the schools there, but I like it from a community standpoint (i.e. businesses, some parks, etc). Have never felt unsafe there but it's not like i've been visiting since the 90s.
My son did his student teaching at Mather"s High School. No problems, actually the immigrant community
actually has some respect for teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago