Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 09:19 PM

3 posts, read 22,070 times

Advertisements

I've read that Pratt is pretty much the dividing line between good and bad Rogers Park. I'm looking for an apt or condo near Loyola, which I'll be attending, and wondering whether I should confine my search to south of Devon. One place I looked at, a condo building at 1106-1118 W. Pratt (which is east of Sheridan and north of Devon), was really nice. However, it was across the street from an apartment building that has "No Loitering" signs surrounding its entrance and down the street from a 7-11. Those seemed like bad signs to me, in terms of potentially attracting sketchy people.

Any advice? I'm interested in feedback on the above address as well as on the "would I be better off south of Devon" question.

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 09:31 PM

Smile Also...

if the answer is to stay south of Devon, what are the south and west parameters of the good student areas. What I need is probably best described as "high-end student". Thanks.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:07 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
I would not move on Pratt Ave. It is also the divide between warring gangs the Disciples and the Latin Kings and they shoot it out a lot around that area.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:06 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
7-11s signal bad neighborhoods??? ... Must be the slurpies.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:11 AM

Default Re the 7-11

The reason I mentioned it was I was reading the Roger Park Bench (or something like that) blog, and the whole 7-11 phenomenon was much discussed. Caveat - I believe the negative influence was limited to stores that sell liquor (and I'm not sure the one on Sheridan and Pratt does). The 7-11 causing the controversy was a few blocks west on Pratt.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:01 AM

15 posts, read 76,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emberle View Post
I've read that Pratt is pretty much the dividing line between good and bad Rogers Park. I'm looking for an apt or condo near Loyola, which I'll be attending, and wondering whether I should confine my search to south of Devon. One place I looked at, a condo building at 1106-1118 W. Pratt (which is east of Sheridan and north of Devon), was really nice. However, it was across the street from an apartment building that has "No Loitering" signs surrounding its entrance and down the street from a 7-11. Those seemed like bad signs to me, in terms of potentially attracting sketchy people.

Any advice? I'm interested in feedback on the above address as well as on the "would I be better off south of Devon" question.

Many thanks.
That area is very nice. Pretty much all of Roger's Park east of Sheridan is good. It is a good neighborhood overall with some building here and there that are bad, but even those are being bought and turned into condos. Gentrification is occuring pretty rapidly here (can be good and bad for some residents), but the fact is that more professionals and even upscale residents are moving into this area. It's a really good time to buy a condo while prices are reasonable. I have lived in Roger's Park for a number of years and have never had any safety issues. Much of what you've read or heard are people who believe everything they read or hear or those who have lived in Roger's Park in the distant past. Anyone who has lived here for some time cannot deny how much improvement this neighborhood has seen. This does not mean you should not be aware of your surroundings. Just use common sense and you will be fine.
There is a lot of police presence here. Cruisers patrol a lot and park in many areas regularly. Pratt is not at all what is used to be in the past. There are not shoot outs all the time between rival gang members on Pratt. Truth is, I live close to Pratt and west of Sheridan and have never seen or heard any kind of gang shoot out.
If you are not sure of an area, drive thru it on a friday or saturday night. If you feel uncomfortable, choose another location. Good luck in your search.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:35 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty9 View Post
That area is very nice. Pretty much all of Roger's Park east of Sheridan is good. It is a good neighborhood overall with some building here and there that are bad, but even those are being bought and turned into condos. Gentrification is occuring pretty rapidly here (can be good and bad for some residents), but the fact is that more professionals and even upscale residents are moving into this area. It's a really good time to buy a condo while prices are reasonable. I have lived in Roger's Park for a number of years and have never had any safety issues. Much of what you've read or heard are people who believe everything they read or hear or those who have lived in Roger's Park in the distant past. Anyone who has lived here for some time cannot deny how much improvement this neighborhood has seen. This does not mean you should not be aware of your surroundings. Just use common sense and you will be fine.
There is a lot of police presence here. Cruisers patrol a lot and park in many areas regularly. Pratt is not at all what is used to be in the past. There are not shoot outs all the time between rival gang members on Pratt. Truth is, I live close to Pratt and west of Sheridan and have never seen or heard any kind of gang shoot out.
If you are not sure of an area, drive thru it on a friday or saturday night. If you feel uncomfortable, choose another location. Good luck in your search.
I agree with that. Take a walk late Saturday night when the weather is nice. begin your walk at Sheridan and Morse Ave. Note how nice and tidy the area is. Clean and people out walking their dogs and children. Walk west on Morse Ave a few blocks to the EL station stopping along the way to get a good slice of pizza at the pizza joint there (it is good BTW). Note the change. Keep walking down past the Osco drug store. More drugs are sold outside of this store than inside! No prescription needed! Keep walking and cross over to Pratt Ave at Ashland. Stop in 7-11 for a Slurpee! If it isn't being robbed at gunpoint when you are in it, today is your lucky day! Actually "Mare Daily" has done a decent job of removing the graffitti that used to cover the walls of the laundry there. If you were a good reader of it, you'd soon learn that the Disciples use a 6 point star and they occupy the north side of Pratt and the Kings use a 5 point star and occupy the south side of Pratt. Walk back east on Pratt to Sheridan Rd and once again you made it out safely! (hopefully). Don't just take my word for it. Read what actual residents think about the area here: The 'Broken Heart' of Rogers Park

Old 11-26-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I agree with that. Take a walk late Saturday night when the weather is nice. begin your walk at Sheridan and Morse Ave. Note how nice and tidy the area is. Clean and people out walking their dogs and children. Walk west on Morse Ave a few blocks to the EL station stopping along the way to get a good slice of pizza at the pizza joint there (it is good BTW). Note the change. Keep walking down past the Osco drug store. More drugs are sold outside of this store than inside! No prescription needed! Keep walking and cross over to Pratt Ave at Ashland. Stop in 7-11 for a Slurpee! If it isn't being robbed at gunpoint when you are in it, today is your lucky day! Actually "Mare Daily" has done a decent job of removing the graffitti that used to cover the walls of the laundry there. If you were a good reader of it, you'd soon learn that the Disciples use a 6 point star and they occupy the north side of Pratt and the Kings use a 5 point star and occupy the south side of Pratt. Walk back east on Pratt to Sheridan Rd and once again you made it out safely! (hopefully). Don't just take my word for it. Read what actual residents think about the area here: The 'Broken Heart' of Rogers Park

KevK, do you live in Roger's Park? You obviously believe everything you read in a blog. There are some people who complain about EVERYTHING negative, but never give kudos on the positive. Your sarcastic remarks are based on what? What you heard or read? I am just stating MY experience of living in Roger's Park. I would not give misinformation just to make someone choose this neighborhood. If I felt unsafe or had bad experiences believe me I'd be the first to leave. I can afford to live in areas like Lincoln Park or Wrigleyville if I want, but I am comfortable and have sincerely enjoyed living in this area.
Actually it's quite ok that many continue to stereotype this neighborhood because there are many who don't and we are the ones who will make out like bandits on the rising property values because we are the ones who "get it". It doesn't take a genius to realize that the city is gentrifying many areas, especially the lakefront (from north to south). Crime is everywhere, even in River North, Wicker Park, etc. Roger's Park is not "the hood". It is not what it was in the past. That is not to say that there are not sketchy areas, but you can't compare morse ave with pratt for instance. It is not the same. There are also current renovations planned and under construction for morse and howard streets.

Rogers Park Chicago > DevCorp North

Old 11-26-2007, 10:41 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Good luck up there. You won't get meaninful change in Rogers Park until you get rid of your terrible Alderman. Although I do like it when he stands up to Daley!

Rogers Park is going to be a mixed-income neighborhood with a slight gang problem for many years to come. It's not the hood, but it's definitely got more crime than the rest of the North Side--perhaps with the exception of Uptown, which seems to be changing faster these days (and also has a crazy Alderman).

Old 11-26-2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Good luck up there. You won't get meaninful change in Rogers Park until you get rid of your terrible Alderman. Although I do like it when he stands up to Daley!

Rogers Park is going to be a mixed-income neighborhood with a slight gang problem for many years to come. It's not the hood, but it's definitely got more crime than the rest of the North Side--perhaps with the exception of Uptown, which seems to be changing faster these days (and also has a crazy Alderman).
You are so right, Joe has got to go. There has been issue over the last election that somehow it was rigged. Not sure if Joe will make it next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: