Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2013, 01:31 AM

11 posts, read 19,543 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering, Does anyone know what the job market is like for Master's level social workers (received my MSW earlier this year) in Chicago? I'm thinking about relocating in 6-12 months and by that time I will have about 1.5 years of experience as a mental health/substance abuse counselor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 07:10 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,538 times
Not sure about the job market here, but I have a friend with an MSW who got a job at the VA. It pays really well for social work.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:22 AM

846 posts, read 1,400,433 times
I would say the job market here is decent. It depends on your effort, as with anything. I'm about to graduate with my MSW and have about 5 or so years under my belt. I'm confident about my prospects, but not overly so. I'm already starting to network and I go to career development workshops to prepare me (such as how to prepare my resume, so forth). Networking is invaluable.

Where are you moving from?

Old 11-23-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
I would say the job market here is decent. It depends on your effort, as with anything. I'm about to graduate with my MSW and have about 5 or so years under my belt. I'm confident about my prospects, but not overly so. I'm already starting to network and I go to career development workshops to prepare me (such as how to prepare my resume, so forth). Networking is invaluable.

Where are you moving from?
Well, at least the job market is decent. Networking will be a challenge for me since I'm moving from the Oklahoma City area. Although, I don't mind flying out for a week or two to network/job hunt. I have seen several staffing/recruiting agencies for social work in the chicago area and was hoping that maybe I could find a temporary/contract job that would pay the bills while I find permanent work.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:18 AM

846 posts, read 1,400,433 times
I'm not sure if OKC has a YNPN (YNPN | Young Nonprofit Professionals Network) but they are a great place to start networking, Chicago has a chapter and it's free to join. The NASW also has great networking events. LinkedIn is pretty important here, so start building a profile if you don't already have one. The medical social work field is growing rapidly, btw.

Most jobs prefer/require a MSW and licensure, for what it's worth.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
I'm not sure if OKC has a YNPN (YNPN | Young Nonprofit Professionals Network) but they are a great place to start networking, Chicago has a chapter and it's free to join. The NASW also has great networking events. LinkedIn is pretty important here, so start building a profile if you don't already have one. The medical social work field is growing rapidly, btw.

Most jobs prefer/require a MSW and licensure, for what it's worth.
Thanks. I joined Chicago's chapter of the YNPN. I'm also active on LinkedIn. Yes, I've noticed there are many more MSW jobs in the medical field than there are in Oklahoma City. Most medical jobs here are instead being given to RNs.

Regarding licensure I suppose I will have to talk to the Illinois licensing board as to whether I can apply for licensure without currently being a resident of the state. In Oklahoma the LMSW (LSW in Illinois) is not required if you are under supervision for clinical (LCSW) licensure. So as a result I haven't taken the ASWB Master's level examination yet.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:32 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
My sister is a nurse and now works in an academic setting. She tells me that many of the larger healthcare organizations in the region are relying on folks with social worker licensure to do the grunt work in "counseling" folks about their options with regards to everything from payment option & decisions about loss of their prior insurance plans to end-of-life decisions. Lots of these hires are basically being treated like "telemarketers" -- they get a script and told to stick to it or else. Not good.
Worse, the compensation for these roles are more like telemarketing clerks than the once decent wages that folks in more government oriented social work roles were paid.

I would think long and hard about ending up dealing all day with angry people that have the insurance "promised" to them taken away and getting telemarketer wages...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: