Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 10:42 AM

596 posts, read 821,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
typical misogynist CD Chicago posts, so trashy
Aleking, Come on it was a joke. Don't take yourself so seriously
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 12:49 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
typical misogynist CD Chicago posts, so trashy
Don't be ridiculous. Simple observation of human behavior.

Try getting a sense of humor.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:13 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,420,366 times
Aleking had one two many ales I see.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:55 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Marothisu, you guys may have a point that the OP's looks may have something to do with her experience.

Not to toot my own horn but I'm a bit "ample" up top, I'm slim and I have an attractive face (so I'm told lol).

I recognize that whether I'm in Chicago or Atlanta, men go out their way to be nice or chivalrous to me because of what I look like--even giving me things at a discount or for free when I'm out shopping or doing business. Last time I was in Chicago, I went into a convenience store to buy bottled waters, the attendent gave me the water for free. I rented a car for the weekend and the clerk gave me a higher grade car for the price of a lower grade one. When I bought my car, the salesman like me so he took $2300 off the price. Things like this happen to me all the time.

However, I definitely see what the OP is talking about. I have traditional views when it comes to dating. I'm pretty old-fashioned and I have to say, Chicago men appeal to my old-fashioned sensibilities more.

When it comes to dating, let me also say that southern hospotality is a bunch of BS! When it comes to dating, I find that Chicago men are much more chivalrous than the men in Atlanta in my experience. Now I can't speak of what the current dating scene is like for the OP since I don't live there anymore, but as a native Chicagoan and a woman, I agree with the OP that Chicago men are definitely more chivalrous.

You have a point that looks influence how men treat women, but I grew up and I lived my life in Chicago seeing men be helpful to women regardless of what they look like, simply being courteous.
My guess is that in addition to your outer beauty, you also have inner beauty, are friendly and out-going. I don't see a beautiful but stuck up woman getting the extra attention. BUT an attractive AND friendly woman will have men tripping over themselves

Old 11-26-2013, 03:18 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,070,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
My guess is that in addition to your outer beauty, you also have inner beauty, are friendly and out-going. I don't see a beautiful but stuck up woman getting the extra attention. BUT an attractive AND friendly woman will have men tripping over themselves
Especially because an unfriendly woman doesn't appear to want any men tripping over themselves.

Is the OP even reading these replies?

Old 11-26-2013, 05:23 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlcvd View Post
Chicago is in the Midwest. But it's also kinda out on it's own. The culture here is quite different than most places in the Midwest.
Not as much as they would like to believe. (that is when comparing to other metro areas of 2 million +).

Old 11-26-2013, 05:38 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post

Is the OP even reading these replies?
Doubtful.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:55 PM

6 posts, read 11,749 times
I am reading the replies and they're making me laugh. I think my looks make me stand out a bit- not that I'm necessarily more beautiful than the next girl but in Chicago I noticed many times I was the only one who looked like they'd just come off the boat from Holland- Dutch grandparents. I won't comment on the size of my boobs. I will say that I smile and say thank you when people open doors for me, and I dress well, but I don't dress to the nines. So, hopefully that makes me more approachable. Maybe in a way I'm a little tired of Boulder so I just notice the good in other places I go. People here in Boulder are either early 20's and single or in their 40's and married. I just don't seem to meet a lot of single guys my age. But, who knows, maybe I'm going to the wrong places to meet men. It just seemed like there were a lot of single men around my age when I was in Chicago. I just don't see that so much here. Thanks for the responses. For anyone else still reading this thread, do you have comments on neighborhoods to think about renting from and neighborhoods to avoid?

Old 11-29-2013, 04:57 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
neighborhoods and all that will depend on what you expect your monthly rent to be. Any ideas?

Old 11-29-2013, 05:04 PM

319 posts, read 604,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartlisbon View Post
I am reading the replies and they're making me laugh. I think my looks make me stand out a bit- not that I'm necessarily more beautiful than the next girl but in Chicago I noticed many times I was the only one who looked like they'd just come off the boat from Holland- Dutch grandparents. I won't comment on the size of my boobs. I will say that I smile and say thank you when people open doors for me, and I dress well, but I don't dress to the nines. So, hopefully that makes me more approachable. Maybe in a way I'm a little tired of Boulder so I just notice the good in other places I go. People here in Boulder are either early 20's and single or in their 40's and married. I just don't seem to meet a lot of single guys my age. But, who knows, maybe I'm going to the wrong places to meet men. It just seemed like there were a lot of single men around my age when I was in Chicago. I just don't see that so much here. Thanks for the responses. For anyone else still reading this thread, do you have comments on neighborhoods to think about renting from and neighborhoods to avoid?
For renting I suppose it depends on who you want to date, to some degree. If you want ease of access to doctors/medical professionals/PhD students there are quite a few in the Ukrainian Village area. If you are in to Michigan/Wisconsinites/Iowans/other Midwesterners that only think Chicago is north of Jackson, and some adventurous ones Roosevelt, there is Lakeview, lol...

If you are into artsy hipster hippies there is always Logan Square, there are countless threads on all of these places.

Probably not a good reason to open more threads regarding "good/bad" places in Chicago. Just search for the individual neighborhoods in the forum.

City of Chicago :: Chicago Maps

http://www.cityofchicago.org/content...ods_poster.pdf

If you tell us what you are into, we can help guide you to where you want. Budget information is critical, what your profession is, or what you can do, and as much information as you are willing to share will help all the intelligent contributors direct you on a plethora of good paths.

Also, I don't know for sure, but I think it's pretty easy for guys to *stay* single in Chicago. The allure of Marriage has been on the down-slide for Men for many years, and rightly so, the courts/divorce attorneys have seen to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago