Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 01:31 PM

13 posts, read 21,821 times

Advertisements

Anybody else with a recommendation? Like what places to visit, buildings, neighbourhoods, streets, typical dishes (and where to get them)?
Anything?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 04:45 PM

162 posts, read 217,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayel View Post
Thanks to all of you.

Aren't almost all places decorated at Christmas?

Anyway, if anybody else has some place (which doesn't have to be a Christmas-type place) they want to recommend which I definitely should check out, then please do.
I would strongly advise against staying in the Ohare hilton, unless you can get a good rate for it. Most hotels downtown in the winter time can be found for about 90-110 a night during the winter. The hilton is built into the airport so they will charge for that privilege. Also, if you stay at ohare you're going to need a day pass otherwise you're going to be charged $5 just to leave via the Ohare blueline station.

Things to do: What are some offbeat & fun things to do during a Chicago winter? : chicago

Old 12-02-2013, 05:05 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Wha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monksy View Post
I would strongly advise against staying in the Ohare hilton, unless you can get a good rate for it. Most hotels downtown in the winter time can be found for about 90-110 a night during the winter. The hilton is built into the airport so they will charge for that privilege. Also, if you stay at ohare you're going to need a day pass otherwise you're going to be charged $5 just to leave via the Ohare blueline station.

Things to do: What are some offbeat & fun things to do during a Chicago winter? : chicago
To borrow from a well know 80s TV show: Whatca talking about!?! Day pass? Assuming the OP, or anyone else checks-in and puts their luuggage in their room upon arriving there is no "fee" for leaving the hotel. Good rates are frequently available and I for someone like the OP that knows in advance they'll have a long layover this is pretty much the ideal situation...

Old 12-02-2013, 06:27 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
To borrow from a well know 80s TV show: Whatca talking about!?! Day pass? Assuming the OP, or anyone else checks-in and puts their luuggage in their room upon arriving there is no "fee" for leaving the hotel. Good rates are frequently available and I for someone like the OP that knows in advance they'll have a long layover this is pretty much the ideal situation...
He's talking about the O'Hare blue line station, not the airport. They raised the price of the fare from that station a while back.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monksy View Post

Thank you, there seem to be some really nice suggestions in that thread.

Can you buy a day pass at the airport? (If so, where?)
Is there a chance the Blue Line (or any other line) could have technical difficulties (like because of the weather)...could there be delays? I'm asking because if I'm going to stay away from the airport, it'd be good if I don't miss my flight.
And I don't think I can afford booking a hotel room, but maybe a hostel. That'd be ok.
Has anybody stayed at the airport overnight? Is that even possible (almost sure it is)? Just in case...

Are there any good places to shop, maybe a department store to just browse around?

Oh and, are there any ethnic neighbourhood/places you'd recommend?
I'm actually latina, so I'm curious about that stuff, too.

I'm pretty sure I won't do or visit all the places I'm asking about, but if I have a broad spectrum of things that I could potentially do (because I know about them), feels better. That's all.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:26 AM

71 posts, read 105,585 times
A second vote for Christkindlmarket. It fits a lot of what you're looking for: Christmas themed, ethnic focus (somewhat of a German theme), centrally located so it would be easy to get to other spots in the city, a chance to meet some locals and have a good time while drinking some warm wine. Grab a mug of Glu wine, chat up a local, tell them where you're from, and chances are you'll make a new friend.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:34 PM

^^^^
I'll visit the Christkindlmarket then for the Christmas feels.

But are there any mexican or puerto rican (latino) places you'd recommend? I'd like to see one; to see how Latinos live in Chicago. Though it doesn't have to be purely hispanic.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:43 PM

Pilsen has a nice museum of Mexican art. Easy enough to get to from the Loop, check schedule -- Current Exhibitions | National Museum of Mexican Art

Might close for holiday week...

Humbolt Park has some well liked Puerto Rican eateries --
http://m.yelp.com/biz/la-palma-puert...uarant-chicago

Don't know if "seeing how Latinos live" is a politically correct statement...

Old 12-04-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Don't know if "seeing how Latinos live" is a politically correct statement...
..in Chicago.
I'm one, so I'm just curious about that, in that particular place.
Not like "they are so different they have to be watched and studied" or what have you. Wouldn't make any sense for me. I can videotape me for that.

But thanks.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:55 PM

There are many many folks with Latin American heritage in Chicago, some have been here generations and do not strongly identify with any particular neighborhood while others are more recent arrivals. Some are poltically active while others are content to work for their family's survival and not draw any attention to themselves.

I'm sure you will have a pleasant visit.

Sometimes stuff reads different than the intent...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago