Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 07:44 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by American JP View Post
I am from Honolulu, HI. To be honest I hate the humid weather here and look forward to moving to the mainland. Chicago is one of my candidates but I have a friend who just moved here from there and he said the weather there is horrible. The thing is I like chilly weather like Seattle or San Francisco but not ice cold like Alaska. I hate humidity and when it comes to heat I think I would rather have dry heat over sticky humid heat. How bad are the winters in Chicago? I plan to live on a high rise condo which my friend said is better than living in the suburbs and experiencing heavy snow.
I lived in Naperville about 40 miles outside Chicago and worked in Chicago (the Loop) for 18 months--through two winters. It's not just the cold. Waiting on a train at 0700 in the dark winter morning with the temperature at 20F and the wind blowing 20-30 mph is NOT fun. And it's just as windy down by the lake as it was in Naperville.

Think Colorado (Denver/Colorado Springs) or southern Idaho (Boise) for dry heat/cold and relatively mild winters and summers (and cheaper living, particularly Boise, than Chicago).

P.S. I worked at an office in Denver surrounded on two sides by a golf course. I can remember seeing golfers on the course in mid-January wearing only long sleeved sweaters, not coats. Snow under the trees, but the fairways clear. If the sun is out and you are in the sun (and the wind isn't blowing which it usually isn't) you can be perfectly comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 07:51 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Think Colorado (Denver/Colorado Springs) or southern Idaho (Boise) for dry heat/cold and relatively mild winters and summers (and cheaper living, particularly Boise, than Chicago).
Sure, but none of those places offer what Chicago offers, outside of moderately improved weather.

Unless you spend a great deal of time outside or have severe seasonal affective disorder, it makes no sense to move somewhere solely for improved weather. People tend to blow it way out of proportion compared to other amenities.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:21 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Well, realize you are dealing with somebody from Hawaii. I know I can relate to a huge adjustment as I grew up literally on the beach in Florida or very close to it until after college. Many of my friends from Miami refused to live in North or Central Florida b/c it is too cold. Yes, people in Florida complain that other parts of the state are too cold. I didn't even know what clothes to buy and had never seen snow nor knew basic things like how to put on a scarf, never had one, had no clue what those steam heater things are or how to use them, had to call my landlord. Had no clue how to close the extra "storm window" on my building. Had no clue about the difference between mittens or gloves, had never owned any gloves except a baseball glove. I barely even had any long sleeve shirts and had to buy pretty much a full wardrobe and gear for spring and fall, much less winter, talking lots of extra money. Days in a row overcast? Have never seen this weather phenomenon. Wow what happened to the sun? I should take Vitamin D? You call this fresh seafood? You call this the beach? The only jacket I had would be considered a windbreaker. What happened to all the leaves on the trees... 4 months later... ummm are these things ever coming back? Did not know snow/salt ruined shoes. Saw my complexion get scary white (had never seen that) And t ns of other things. This guy is probably the same. I know most if not all of this stuff is embarassing, but you have to understand the mindframe. You aren't dealing with somebody from somewhere even moderately cold like North Carolina, much less the upper midwest. I know other people from Miami for example in Chicago and they have similar goofy stories.

Last edited by grapico; 12-02-2013 at 09:49 AM..

Old 12-02-2013, 09:58 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Sure, but none of those places offer what Chicago offers, outside of moderately improved weather.

Unless you spend a great deal of time outside or have severe seasonal affective disorder, it makes no sense to move somewhere solely for improved weather. People tend to blow it way out of proportion compared to other amenities.
Completely agree. Weather is literally one of the last things that would cause me to move (unless I lived near the equator).

Old 12-02-2013, 10:05 AM

562 posts, read 677,085 times
I grew up in Chicago, and believe me, if you do not have a car during the winter, especially when the hawk blows, those tears will be streaming down your face in no time, while walking to or from a bus. When you come to Chicago, make sure you have a car to use for the winter. Of course, after you freeze a few times, your body will acclimate, and 40 will then seem warm to you.

Last edited by glenninindy; 12-02-2013 at 10:21 AM..

Old 12-02-2013, 10:35 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
I grew up in Chicago, and believe me, if you do not have a car during the winter, especially when the hawk blows, those tears will be streaming down your face in no time, while walking to or from a bus. When you come to Chicago, make sure you have a car to use for the winter. Of course, after you freeze a few times, your body will acclimate, and 40 will then seem warm to you.
I don't agree with this advice. While it can be cold, you don't need a car in winter for Chicago. There's other ways to get around being outside as much and it starts with transit tracker apps for your phone. My ex girlfriend from Hawaii lived in a place just as cold, if not colder, than Chicago without a car and was fine. Yeah she thought it was cold, but she still didn't complain like a little ***** about it.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:26 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
I'm surprised to see so many people complaining about gray, gloomy winter in Chicago. When I was growing up on the southwest side (1950s through 1970s), I remember that the days were short. Is that why you're calling winter gloomy? Because I don't remember frequent gray winter days - I remember mostly sunny winter days that were just too effin' cold for my liking.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:41 PM

255 posts, read 583,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I'm surprised to see so many people complaining about gray, gloomy winter in Chicago. When I was growing up on the southwest side (1950s through 1970s), I remember that the days were short. Is that why you're calling winter gloomy? Because I don't remember frequent gray winter days - I remember mostly sunny winter days that were just too effin' cold for my liking.
I don't remember a lot of gloomy days when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s either. I think I just wasn't paying attention back then. We have a lot of gloomy days from October through April. This October was quite nice. November was very gray. Today started out sunny, and now it's gloomy again. The forecast shows a dark week ahead until Saturday.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:34 AM

11 posts, read 24,005 times
Default To me.

Weather in Chicago to me is unpredictable which as I get older really have come to appreciate. You can't count on certain weather at any point really and because of that you really appreciate it when it works out for you. And by working out for you I don't just mean sunny and 70 degrees. I tend to think all weather is good at certain times.
Further, I really have come to appreciate a hardy winter. We had a very weak one a couple a years ago and it sucked. Flu running rampid, dirty streets, and a general unhappiness. A bone chilling winter seems to sanitize the area, the spring rain rinses it all away. Essentialliy a cleaning. Added bonus is that a hardy winter brings a great anticipation and appreciation for the spring. A city wide buzz akin to your city winning a major sporting event. I love it.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:55 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
There's been a few people complaining about this last summer.... Personally I thought the weather was ABSOLUTELY AWESOME from June 1 to October 15th. The high was about 80 most of the time which I love; I used to like the really hot days until most of my activities involved outdoor physical exertion.

Winters get cold but I dress for it and still bike everywhere with minimal complaints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago