Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 01:51 PM

109 posts, read 239,180 times

Advertisements

I haven't really thought about it much, but Freedom Tower does show how much of a funny place America can be. Only in America can 1,000 people die somewhere and we just build some new greed filled propaganda expressive structure on top of them like nothing happened. Same thing with the Native Americans, people living on top of the skull and bones of Indians like nothing happened sitting around smiling and drinking coffin like people didn't just die here. Only in the USA!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 02:02 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default What a clueless and utterly disrespectful *****hole...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthsideTillIDie View Post
I haven't really thought about it much, but Freedom Tower does show how much of a funny place America can be. Only in America can 1,000 people die somewhere and we just build some new greed filled propaganda expressive structure on top of them like nothing happened. Same thing with the Native Americans, people living on top of the skull and bones of Indians like nothing happened sitting around smiling and drinking coffin like people didn't just die here. Only in the USA!!
Clearly somone has not a clue as the MASSIVE effort to examine every tiny scrap of soil and everything else removed from the original WTC...

Rescue and recovery effort after the September 11 attacks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-05-2013, 02:39 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx_sports_xX View Post
Do you think New York's Freedom Tower cheated to get the tallest building in the United States? The roof height is taller on the Sears Tower. The "pinnacle" height is taller on the Freedom Tower. The Freedom Tower is the tallest building on the Western Hemisphere. Do you think it cheated to become the tallest building?
Two things:

1. If it's official, it's official.

You can stand on the roof of the Sears Tower (or Bruce Willis Tower, as I refer to it) and toss a quarter onto the roof of the One World Trade Center.

You can climb to the top of the One World Trade Center and toss a quarter onto the antennas of the Bruce Willis Tower.

2. I'm disappointed in the building.

It's not a city versus city thing. It's not the design. It's not the symbolism. It's the lack of symbolism.

This height debate should be nonexistent.

The building should have been:

2,001 ft. tall at the antenna/spire
1,776 ft. tall at the roof
At 1,368 ft. a memorial/museum/observatory level
And most importantly… Built in 911 days.

Empire State Building was built in far harsher, rougher, tougher conditions than ours in 2002 and beyond.
410 days for 1,453 ft.

But 12 years with 70+ years of technical advancements and a 1,776 ft. tall building (which is the spire height) to commemorate that day seems pretty halfhearted to me.

I'm disappointed.

Not in New York or the citizens. Not in the least.

I'm disappointed that we as a country couldn't/can't come together, collectively roll up our sleeves, tackle a national tragedy with resolve and determination, no matter the cost to our person or pocketbooks or politics, and…

Old 12-05-2013, 02:48 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Two things:

1. If it's official, it's official.

You can stand on the roof of the Sears Tower (or Bruce Willis Tower, as I refer to it) and toss a quarter onto the roof of the One World Trade Center.

You can climb to the top of the One World Trade Center and toss a quarter onto the antennas of the Bruce Willis Tower.

2. I'm disappointed in the building.

It's not a city versus city thing. It's not the design. It's not the symbolism. It's the lack of symbolism.

This height debate should be nonexistent.

The building should have been:

2,001 ft. tall at the antenna/spire
1,776 ft. tall at the roof
At 1,368 ft. a memorial/museum/observatory level
And most importantly… Built in 911 days.

Empire State Building was built in far harsher, rougher, tougher conditions than ours in 2002 and beyond.
410 days for 1,453 ft.

But 12 years with 70+ years of technical advancements and a 1,776 ft. tall building (which is the spire height) to commemorate that day seems pretty halfhearted to me.

I'm disappointed.

Not in New York or the citizens. Not in the least.

I'm disappointed that we as a country couldn't/can't come together, collectively roll up our sleeves, tackle a national tragedy with resolve and determination, no matter the cost to our person or pocketbooks or politics, and…
911 days? The WTC site is far more complex than just the tower, the site sits on top of a massive underground city of PATH and Subway stations that needed to be fully rebuilt. Not to mention the clean that had to take place.

All that symbolism is silly IMO.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:38 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
to SouthsideTillIDie:

AMEN!!!

to A2DAC1985:

AMEN!!!

"What a clueless and utterly disrespectful *****hole…":

what a horrible, vile thing to say to someone who was not being disrespectful to anyone else, someone merely sharing his opinion (which is what a place like this is supposed to be about) in a perfectly respectable way. Considering the virtual Holocaust (on a far larger scale than the Holocaust in Europe we helped liberate) that the United States carried on against its native Americans for centuries, I found Southside's comments here were well worth his sharing.

I would hope that the moderators here will do their part upon reading: "What a clueless and utterly disrespectful *****hole…" My sense is that they are every bit as offended by this as i am.

Last edited by edsg25; 12-09-2013 at 07:47 AM..

Old 12-09-2013, 03:08 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,599,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
(or Bruce Willis Tower, as I refer to it)
I prefer Wesley Willis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago