U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 07:40 PM

3 posts, read 3,521 times

Advertisements

Possible work transfer from Dallas to Chicago (office just north of Millennium Park)

Anytime between April-August 2014 for up to 2 years

Married, late 20s, no kids

We like to save a lot for retirement and such, so let's say $100K gross combined although my wife has yet to secure a job there.

Can't imagine spending more than $1500/month on studio/convertible/1br.

I love hockey (playing and watching), baseball (watching), softball (playing), ultimate frisbee, brewing beer, motorcycles, meat, sailing, gambling, cooking, technology, travel, and general adventure.

My wife loves budget fashion (thrifting), unique/fresh/craft food and markets, parks, beaches, community, reading, going new places (within the city and other travel), art, feeling safe, and helping others.

Prefer to experience the city life for the time that we have been allotted (a high rise with a view is an exciting thought)
We like to eat out 80% of the time and usually spend about $20 on lunch and $40 on dinner.
We go to many sports bars and hipster hangouts, but never go to nightclubs.

Commute must be <30 min, prefer to have a <15 minute walk

Considering bringing 1 car, but could be talked out of it

We're planning several trips to check out the area. The first trip will be in January and we'll be staying in the Loop.

- Which neighborhoods would best suit us?
- Easy/affordable to travel to surrounding states using just Zip Car or Enterprise?
- Is it true that lease rates are up to $300/month more if you start in the summer months?
- Any general tips/suggestions?
- Any advice on things we should be doing during our preliminary trips, specifically the January trip?

Thanks for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 07:48 PM

28,461 posts, read 79,334,712 times
Maybe West Loop / Greek Town all the way out to United Center area -- there are two well known hockey facilities on Madison that serves youth, adult and professional players, Johnnies Ice House East and West.

You could take a bus into the Millenium Park area in under 30 minutes as the Madison #20 is straight shot.

There are fewer "hipster handouts" in that part of the city but no lack of sports bars.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:57 PM

15,320 posts, read 21,689,940 times
1) Lakeview East. A nice compromise between both of you guys it seems. The area is right on the lake and on Broadway there are a bunch of different kinds of food places, shops, some small clothing boutiques, some cafes, etc. It's right on Lincoln Park (the park, there's also a neighborhood called Lincoln Park which is south of Lakeview) which is on the lake and has a golf course, baseball/softball fields, soccer, etc. Not far from there is Wrigleyville which is where the Cubs play and is loaded with sports bars. It's also not that far from some of the beaches that are open in the summer such as North Avenue Beach. There is a road that goes along the lake called Lake Shore Drive, which is kind of like a highway. This is convenient for you because there are express buses that run along this street that pick up in Lakeview East and don't stop until they are semi close to where you'll be working. If not that, then there is also the Red line (and also Brown, but Red gets you closer to work) train. The red line train also runs 24/7.

I'd say to look between these streets: Diversey on the south, Lake Michigan on the east, Broadway on the west, and Grace Street on the north. Also, there are a handful of grocery stores/markets around the Addison & Broadway area.

2) Wicker Park/Bucktown. This area used to be a hipster stronghold, but not as much anymore. There's still shades of that there but there's other stuff there too. I love the dichotomy of styles there. I mean really, on one hand you have one of the nicest cocktail lounges in the city, then 150 feet away is a music club that plays more hard rock/metal. Right near there are some nice restaurants, but then there's an artist's building with a bar that does not shy away from playing Slayer. Independent book stores, record stores, etc. The streets of Milwaukee Avenue and Division St are hopping usually, especially when it's nice out. This is also probably the second largest area of town for fashion boutiques. There are some nice ones there and some have even skipped Michigan Avenue and gone straight here instead (like Steven Alan). There's also some nice independent stylists/designers who run boutiques out here. This is also on the Blue Line train which also runs 24/7 and runs straight to O'Hare airport. The area is also gentrified, and while the above exists, there's still some sports bars, though not nearly as much as in the north side areas like Lakeview or Lincoln Park. It's just a good mix if you are a person who likes to experience different things in life. It's really easy to be a hipster and a sports nut in the same night there.

For the enterprise/zip car thing, it's pretty easy. I don't have a car here, but when I need a car for a weekend trip, I find it to be pretty easy. It's really no different than renting from an airport. Just pick your location (there's locations in the actual city for many different rental agencies), pick it up, and go.

As far as the car thing goes, do what's comfortable, but know that if you're only here for two years, end up living in a dense areas like Lakeview East, and can realistically get a car back when you leave Chicago, then I'd say go without it. These are areas where you walk out of your front door and 2 minutes later you have the option of eating at one of like 100 places within a 20 minute walk or going shopping right there, etc. Then there's public transit (two 24/7 train lines, some bus lines that run all night, and thousands of cabs). Just imagine if you lived in a neighborhood you weren't even using your car for. Just factoring in insurance, both of you together will be paying over $100/year combined, plus parking for it ($25/year for street zone parking, or in the minimum $100 for private parking unless you get lucky and find a place with a free garage). That really is over $1000/year, and very possibly $2000+, not including gas and upkeep. That is potentially a vacation to Europe or a nice vacation within the US or Mexico, or saving money up for retirement or something else.

Other tips:
* Public Transportation Transit tracker apps for your smart phone is your friend. There are a number available for iPhone and Android and probably Windows Phone and Blackberry.
* For rental searching, use domu.com, Zillow, and Rent.com to start with.
* If you're coming in the dead of winter, it's going to be a lot colder than you're used to in Texas. Bring gloves, scarf (if you have it), and something to cover your ears. The winters aren't AMAZINGLY bad, but yes, they're cold.

Last edited by marothisu; 12-01-2013 at 09:23 PM..

Old 12-01-2013, 09:14 PM

What about the OP suggests Lakeview East?

I could maybe see Bucktown / Wicker Park about 8-10 years back when the thift stores were more authentic but now in the post "pop some tags" era there are more ersatz "designers" than actual budget fashion.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:40 PM

It's obvious you aren't familiar with that area too much, Chet. I am there a lot and I would say it's a good for for a compromise of styles.

Quote:
I love hockey (playing and watching), baseball (watching), softball (playing), ultimate frisbee, brewing beer, motorcycles, meat, sailing, gambling, cooking, technology, travel, and general adventure.

My wife loves budget fashion (thrifting), unique/fresh/craft food and markets, parks, beaches, community, reading, going new places (within the city and other travel), art, feeling safe, and helping others.

We like to eat out 80% of the time and usually spend about $20 on lunch and $40 on dinner.
We go to many sports bars and hipster hangouts, but never go to nightclubs.
Let's see: It's on Lincoln Park which has sports like softball he can play. The Cubs play right outside of it. It's on the lake and Belmont Harbour which has sailing. There are fashion stores there and not all of them are expensive. It's semi close to Green City Market which is a year round farmer's market and the largest in the city. Lakeview East has a variety of different food places and different cuisines, and some entertainment. There's a lot of places to try if you go out a lot. There is a community feel there and it's safe. There's a lot of sports bars in Wrigleyville right near it, and while there's not a ton of Hipster hangouts there, there are hangouts that you may consider in the middle. Only a few nightclubs in that general area as well, and those aren't your typical nightclubs anyway (i.e. not a Miami style nighclub). Furthermore, it's within their budget and easy as hell for the OP to get to work in under 30 minutes from there using the bus or train.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:45 PM

So what you are really saying is the OP's budget is too low for Lincoln Park but most of the things you listed are really in Lincoln Park and Lakeview East is not too far ...

Old 12-01-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
So what you are really saying is the OP's budget is too low for Lincoln Park but most of the things you listed are really in Lincoln Park and Lakeview East is not too far ...
Actually no, most of the things I listed are not in Lincoln Park the neighborhood. The only things I mentioned that are located in LP is Green City Market and softball fields (Lakeview East is more home to the tennis courts and golf course as part of the park of Lincoln Park). Everything else? No, it's in Lakeview.

I am QUITE familiar with both stretches of Lakeview East and the eastern section of Lincoln Park that's equivalent in geography (i.e. bounded by the lake and Clark). That would also be a good fit for them, but not as good IMO as the section between Diversey, Grace, the lake, and Broadway. In the end, they are similar, though I find Lakeview East a little more diverse in business than that section of Lincoln Park and to boot, it's cheaper for some similar housing stock on average and your commute is barely going to suffer.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:57 PM

Whatever, the OP listed hockey first, it is far away the most difficult desire to meet on their "unique" list, as besides Johnies the only other facility in Chicago is at McFetridge park adjacent to Gordon Tech and the amount of gear one needs to even casually play hockey pretty much demands that if you don't have a car you need to be within a couple of blocks of the rink but as your knowledge of everything is so complete just go ahead and toss that that suggestion. Nicehat.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:59 PM

319 posts, read 559,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Actually no, most of the things I listed are not in Lincoln Park the neighborhood. The only things I mentioned that are located in LP is Green City Market and softball fields (Lakeview East is more home to the tennis courts and golf course as part of the park of Lincoln Park). Everything else? No, it's in Lakeview.

I am QUITE familiar with both stretches of Lakeview East and the eastern section of Lincoln Park that's equivalent in geography (i.e. bounded by the lake and Clark). That would also be a good fit for them, but not as good IMO as the section between Diversey, Grace, the lake, and Broadway. In the end, they are similar, though I find Lakeview East a little more diverse in business than that section of Lincoln Park and to boot, it's cheaper for some similar housing stock on average and your commute is barely going to suffer.
So I have this idea.

We get Chet and Marothisu in a room together.

Anyone else in Chicago on the CD forum is welcome over at my place. We make popcorn, and sit back and watch.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:01 PM

3 posts, read 3,521 times
Thanks for the input guys, I didn't mean to start a fight by any means.

Also, I was being sarcastic about the unique part as I can see you get these types of requests on a daily basis.

Thanks to marothisu for being so thorough and thinking about our personalities.

Thanks to chet for bringing up the fact that my hockey gear takes a bit of lugging to get around. I hadn't even thought of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago