U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 07:00 AM

7 posts, read 8,004 times

Advertisements

Thanks Linicx, you're a STAR

That is so helpful, thanks again for such a detailed answer. Car is definitely my biggest worry because due to a lot of travelling, I can probably save a lot on fuel and maintenance by having a good car.

If generally Chicago residents are as friendly as you lot, then I can happily say that I will enjoy my time there
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 11:50 AM

11,543 posts, read 28,004,807 times
Thank you for the compliment, but I am not a star. This forum tries to help those who are visiting Illinois whether it is for a day or a year. There is a world of difference in language and food alone between Europe and America without trying to explain how to light a furnace. We like to think that life on this side of the pond is a less complicated although some days I am not too sure. In reality we seem to have about the same type of problems and similar lifestyles.

Here is a Brits in Chicago Meetup Group in the city. Brits in Chicago (Chicago , IL) - Meetup . I suggest you join now to meet Chicago Brits. Speaking of... amongs the many Chicago 'hoods you may find small family stores and restaurants that offer authentic, foods, clothes, and other familiar items. Once upon a time I was able to buy Irish bacon in an Irish neighborhood, and drink in an Irish pub. I don't know if it is true today or not.

I've traveled in three countries and several cities that were marketed as "world class" this and that; it is PR spin. From my perch most of the people I met who lived in large metro areas, starting at a young age, were as cold as a dead Mackerel, and in-yet-face rude to the point of being cruel. I would not bestow the title of gentle man or woman on most. The rare exceptions are hidden and difficult to engage for this reason. You do need to be aware that not all understand the quick repartee. In my opinion "Are You Being Served?" is a perfect example and one of the funniest UK comedies on the tube. There is a stark difference between UK English and US English; car parts is one example. If you ask for a 'bonnet' someone will send you to a baby store.

While I think about it, one of the ugly side effects of winter snow removal is the chemicals used on the main streets. It rusts the vehicle undercarriage (belly). You might want to remember this when you buy your car. Check tyre wear. Use a penny; if you only see Lincoln's head, you will soon need new. Snow is a problem if you live on a quiet side street. The members who live in Chicago can explain it better than I as I have not lived in Chicago for several years.

To its credit Chicago has many churches of many denominations. You should be able to easily find Anglican, Catholic (West or East), Jewish, Unitarian, and many others. It is one step in learning Chicago.

Last edited by linicx; 12-07-2013 at 12:02 PM..

Old 12-08-2013, 07:06 PM

6,433 posts, read 6,000,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The city is about 100 miles square, but Cook County is 1000 miles square.
100 miles square = 10,000 square miles. I do believe that the British school system still takes its maths seriously.

Chicago is 240 square miles. Cook County is about 1000.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:22 AM

11,543 posts, read 28,004,807 times
The US Census Bureau 2012 states Ol'Windy is 227.63 square miles. Cook County is 945.33.

Chicago (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 12-31-2013, 04:51 PM

50 posts, read 60,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riqs44 View Post
Hi, I am currently working in the UK and have been offered an opportunity to work in the US (Chicago) for 2 years. My company has offered me a remuneration package of $62000/year.

Though it will be great career move in terms of learning. But as I will be moving with my wife and a 1 year old son, I am not sure about the salary .i.e. above average, reasonable? So I need your help in evaluating the yearly salary figure.

I have been through numerous post online none of which provide a list of average monthly costs .i.e. Rent (feel free to suggest nice areas in and around Chicago) , Property taxes, Car Insurance, Utilities costs, Grocery, Healthcare, Mobile etc, in Chicago.

So can I request the residents of Chicago land to help me with this. Visa and everything else will be sorted by the company so nothing to worry about on that end.

Hope your advise will help me and my family in making up our minds.

Thanks a lot for your help and time in advance, really appreciate it.

Be careful it's dangerous And these politics come up with problem solvers out their ass in the city of Chicago.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:59 PM

6,544 posts, read 20,819,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAGAstory View Post
Be careful it's dangerous
Yet lots of people live there without ever becoming a victim of crime. You just have to be smart about your surroundings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago