U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 10:24 AM

7 posts, read 8,041 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am currently working in the UK and have been offered an opportunity to work in the US (Chicago) for 2 years. My company has offered me a remuneration package of $62000/year.

Though it will be great career move in terms of learning. But as I will be moving with my wife and a 1 year old son, I am not sure about the salary .i.e. above average, reasonable? So I need your help in evaluating the yearly salary figure.

I have been through numerous post online none of which provide a list of average monthly costs .i.e. Rent (feel free to suggest nice areas in and around Chicago) , Property taxes, Car Insurance, Utilities costs, Grocery, Healthcare, Mobile etc, in Chicago.

So can I request the residents of Chicago land to help me with this. Visa and everything else will be sorted by the company so nothing to worry about on that end.

Hope your advise will help me and my family in making up our minds.

Thanks a lot for your help and time in advance, really appreciate it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 10:45 AM

10,168 posts, read 15,582,362 times
$62k is a decent middle class salary.
here is a partial list
State income tax 5%
Federal taxes a web calculator says after fed and state income taxes your take home pay is $43k depedning on allowances
Property tax count on about $7k depending where in the area and what value house you buy. Why would you buy a house if you are only going to be here 2 years? Renting a house would be about 2k a month with property taxes included less for an apartment depending on where you live.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:04 AM

Thanks a lot. I think I didn’t made it clear before so apologies about that, I will be renting an apartment/house.

In UK its tenant responsibility to pay the council tax which is not as high as the property tax you have mentioned in your thread above. So I wasn’t sure about any similar costs in the US if I rent an apartment.

Also can you provide me with a general list of monthly expenses if possible .i.e. Rent, mobile, car insurance, health insurance, Grocery, just want to make sure that I am not missing anything significant.

Any nice family friendly areas in and around Chicago you would recommend so I can start looking on Craig list?

Thanks a lot for your time and help.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:08 AM

28,461 posts, read 78,568,953 times
Not enough details -- in many countries the "compensation" is structured so that the things like retirement plans and healthcare and NOT generally reflected with the wages.

In the US, in contrast, those things ARE part of the "top line" salary for most employees and thus add literally tens of thousand dollars to one's earnings.

If the firm expects you to support a "standard" US style 401k & US style employee sponsored health plan for your family AND pay for your own housing AND transportation your income of $62,000 US is quite modest for your situation.

Compare this to household in "nice" but far from lavish suburbs:

//www.city-data.com/city/Downer...-Illinois.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Arling...-Illinois.html

I am sure that the MEDIAN housing prices in those towns reflect an awful lot of "value priced" condoiminimiums too -- no doubt you would be lucky to find a safe desirable part of Chicago with as attractive an equivelent housing cost.

I would feel comfortable saying you would be much closer to the median if you were recieving a top line salary some $15k+ higher, assuming the benefits calculation above...

Old 12-05-2013, 11:29 AM

13,433 posts, read 15,290,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riqs44 View Post
Thanks a lot. I think I didn’t made it clear before so apologies about that, I will be renting an apartment/house.

In UK its tenant responsibility to pay the council tax which is not as high as the property tax you have mentioned in your thread above. So I wasn’t sure about any similar costs in the US if I rent an apartment.

Also can you provide me with a general list of monthly expenses if possible .i.e. Rent, mobile, car insurance, health insurance, Grocery, just want to make sure that I am not missing anything significant.

Any nice family friendly areas in and around Chicago you would recommend so I can start looking on Craig list?

Thanks a lot for your time and help.
In the US, you pay rent to the landlord and probably some utilities. Taxes are paid out of the rent you pay the landlord, not on top of the that.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:39 AM

Thanks alot guys it is really helpful, what about the monthly expenses?

Old 12-05-2013, 02:23 PM

13,433 posts, read 15,290,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riqs44 View Post
Thanks alot guys it is really helpful, what about the monthly expenses?
Utilities will depend on the apartment and its size, but you will generally have to pay electric and gas (though even gas is sometimes included in the rent, and water almost always is included). In terms of Health Insurance, is your employer offering a plan? Groceries are likely cheaper here than in the UK. Car insurance depends on car, age, etc. Do you need a car? Is the job downtown Chicago?

I would look into Edgewater and Lincoln Square for nice walkable, family friendly areas.

May want to bring the discussion to the Chicago sub forum to get more responses.

Last edited by Vlajos; 12-05-2013 at 02:32 PM..

Old 12-05-2013, 02:59 PM

11,543 posts, read 28,125,201 times
Basic monthly expenses minus rent: phone, gas, lights, water, garbage , laundry, food, transportation and entertainment. Depending upon where you live, you can expect to pay $1500 and up for a 2 bedroom unit.

Your UK Cell will work in US, but, you will pay international roaming charges every time you use it. You may need an UK AC to US AC converter to use UK appliances like hair dryers and laptops.

If you live in Chicago you may not need a car if you work in an office. You can take a train or bus in the city, or to/from some of the suburbs. If you need transportation you can rent a zip car for short day trip, or reserve a rental for a long weekend, or lease for a year. Do be sure your driver's license is valid until 2016. You should be sure to have health insurance for a few weeks when you arrive. The ACA is a new type of insurance for Americans. Your employer should be able to help you get what you need.

You probably should bring copies of your birth certificates and medical records. I'd put it in carry-on luggage as luggage does get lost. I believe the weight limit for most US non-international flights is 50 pounds per piece, per person. No charge for small carry-on that can be stowed in the bulkhead. Charge for extra luggage I believe there is a limit of one extra 50 pound piece. This would be a total of 200 pounds of luggage.

The British Consulate General is located on Michigan Avenue in Chicago. The traffic in Chicago will feel a bit like the traffic in London; it's busy.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:07 PM

28,461 posts, read 78,568,953 times
Without knowing where EXACTLY the job will be and what sorts of commuting expectations you have I would hesitate to recommend a specific neighborhood or suburb...

You'd be a fool to try and rely on a UK cell provider. What you call a "hob" or "cooker" we call a "stove" or "oven". Illinos leads the world in the production of soy beans.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:33 PM

11,543 posts, read 28,125,201 times
Mark 3 is out and degrees of temperature are Fahrenheit. Most ovens are 200F to 550F degrees depending upon what you are baking Cakes and pies is 350F-375F. Meat is generally cooked 350F. US hamburger is UK mince. American Mince is canned (tinned), but the real thing is a type pf meat pie.

IL is the #2 producer of corn. IL also exports beef, hogs, wheat, rye, coal, and other items. Your tonne is our ton. IL exports many tons annually.

Welcome to the US!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago