Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 11:59 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times

Advertisements

Teddy, I went to NV Penthouse Lounge last year.

Isotope - Yeah I agree it promotes a lot of drinking, but most people are going to do it anyway because of the mythology around New Year's eve. Most of the time I do parties at my friends' residences, but last year I did this type of thing for the first time in Chicago. Perhaps I got lucky that it was fine and I felt like the crowd was more local. Afterall this place is not an ultra well known club or lounge like Sound-Bar or Castle is. It's on the 4th or 5th floor of a building, not very big, and has minimal amount of advertising on the ground level. Who knows if this year would be better or worse at the same place. The food wasn't AMAZING but it was above average. It was finger food but you could eat however much you wanted to really. I'm pretty sure I ate a few pounds of shrimp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 12:14 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,870,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddybentherars View Post
Hey guys

So I will be going for Chicago for business and pleasure. I've bee checking places and YIKES talk about skinning the cat a lot of places have a $150 cover no doubt it's gonna be packed. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on where to go? I prefer more of the Lounge type vibe you know "grown & Sexy" (think North Side) however I also Like it hipsterish.

I just wanna keep it economical with good dance music and fun diverse crowd

Thanks

Teddy
All I can really say for a place to go is, "Groupon, maybe?". I don't want to sign up for an account so I can't search for any deals. But if you want to you could and you might find something. That's the best I can do. Sorry.

I will second the previous suggestion of using CTA trains (or buses) to get around that night. The train service is relatively easy to understand, buses more of a learning curve. Plus, Miller Lite for the past few years (and this year) have been picking up the tab for everyone from 10pm - 4am. It technically "costs" everyone a penny to ride a train or bus during those hours, but there is no way for the buses or train turnstiles to accept pennies as payment…so free rides.

Hope you have fun in Chicago.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:17 PM

319 posts, read 604,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddybentherars View Post
And what is this place you speak of yet won't name

answers in bold

I WILL ALSO PLAN ON GOING OUT SUNDAY/MONDAY (29TH AND 30TH) IF YOU KNOW ANY PLACES THAT HAVE GREAT DEALS, GREAT MUSIC AND HOT CHICKS LET ME KNOW!!

I do appericate the input

whats the deal with "Funky Budda Lounge" (they cost only $30 which is more then reasonable) or "Studio Paris" any news on that?

any suggestions if I decide to stay in the River North area?

I do appericate all the answers guys

Teddy
Where you are coming from is relevant, as sometimes there are location specific bars. I think there is one in wicker/bucktown called "Six Degrees" and that is a "Springfield, IL" bar. I'm not kidding, I have had friends who were born there, and immediately know like half the clientele, at least through name/reputation. They also serve disgusting springfield food, like with white artificial cheese. Bleech.

Hot chicks will be everywhere in Chicago. I'm going to list where I've seen 9's/10's on a regular basis. That, and the places I will be listing will be 100% either public transport/cab from where you are staying.

Sadly, it looks like Marie's Rip-Tide is closed . That place used to be CRAZY.

Danny's (I don't think they have a web page - Yelp URL below)

They have specific music nights, I don't remember what they are, but I've been inside and seen lines on weeknights extending out to Damen. They have odd music, like disco nights, soul nights, and their bartenders have an eclectic vinyl collection. Hipsters of the world unite! This would be a Sunday/Monday possibility, though the busy nights are Wed-Sat

Danny's - Bucktown - Chicago, IL

I've seen absolutely gorgeous girls hanging out at Estelle's. (4am)

Big Star

Located a bit south of North on Damen. Right near the Blue-Line-Damen stop - Amazing tacos, and beautiful women (often). Very hard to find a seat here on weekends. Probably a very smart stop on a Sunday/Monday. It's a whisky/bourbon/beer bar, and the queso fundido is about the greatest thing you can eat in the world.

Big Star Chicago - Best Pastor Taco - Chicago Pastor - Chicago Gluttons

Nick's Beergarden -

4am bar for late nite activity: Hit or miss really, I'd say good for Friday/Saturday/days where people have the following morning off. ***THIS HAS BEEN A HISTORICALLY AWESOME PLACE CHRISTMAS EVE***

Welcome to Nick's Beergarden!

Innjoy - I can't recommend this place anymore, the Saturday DJ is the owner, but the beautiful women just keep showing up. It's a larger age span, and when the good DJ used to be there, I went regularly. I just can't handle how awful the music is now. If you can stomach his uninspiring spins, the women here are awesome. From age 21-45 (seen older there too). Ratio varies through the night, but I've been there when it was 6:1/7:1 F:M.

Innjoy is in a fun area though, near The Rainbow Club, and on a street with bars for all ages.

You will be here on a Thursday it looks like, and The Highdive, has some craft pint specials on that day, it's not the whole list but they will be $3 for the *'ed ones on their menu. They have had Zombie Dust for $3 in the past. (Though I doubt they are doing that often anymore). The website doesn't show the Thursday special, and they may have discontinued it.

Home

Ok, here's a start. All these places listed too, have at least some local quality dining options, if they don't have food themselves.

Good luck, and welcome! Hope O'hare isn't a mess for you!

Old 12-11-2013, 12:19 PM

76 posts, read 125,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Teddy, I went to NV Penthouse Lounge last year.

Isotope - Yeah I agree it promotes a lot of drinking, but most people are going to do it anyway because of the mythology around New Year's eve. Most of the time I do parties at my friends' residences, but last year I did this type of thing for the first time in Chicago. Perhaps I got lucky that it was fine and I felt like the crowd was more local. Afterall this place is not an ultra well known club or lounge like Sound-Bar or Castle is. It's on the 4th or 5th floor of a building, not very big, and has minimal amount of advertising on the ground level. Who knows if this year would be better or worse at the same place. The food wasn't AMAZING but it was above average. It was finger food but you could eat however much you wanted to really. I'm pretty sure I ate a few pounds of shrimp
Marothisu what was the music like at NV I see it's more EDM based I'm more of a TOp40's/HiPHOP guy
any suggestions on places to go before NYE I heard Evil Olive on mondays is good is that true?

Old 12-11-2013, 12:25 PM

I don't remember. It definitely wasn't Hip Hop. It was probably mainly some tame-ish EDM maybe with a few Top 40 in there (yech Top 40, no es bueno). I remember it being decent and after awhile I was dancing. I love dancing to good music, so there's that - though I did have about 10 drinks that night, so who knows.

Also, Danny's is good. They do have some hot women there, at least when I've been there and I enjoy their music nights like reggae or Italo Disco or 80s..Big Star of course as well. Sometimes Rodan down the street does (hit and miss in my experience) too. If you want to see hot women galore, just pick about any lounge especially in River North (i.e. Bevy, Y Bar, Parliament, etc).

Old 12-11-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isotope-C14 View Post
Where you are coming from is relevant, as sometimes there are location specific bars. I think there is one in wicker/bucktown called "Six Degrees" and that is a "Springfield, IL" bar. I'm not kidding, I have had friends who were born there, and immediately know like half the clientele, at least through name/reputation. They also serve disgusting springfield food, like with white artificial cheese. Bleech.

Hot chicks will be everywhere in Chicago. I'm going to list where I've seen 9's/10's on a regular basis. That, and the places I will be listing will be 100% either public transport/cab from where you are staying.

Sadly, it looks like Marie's Rip-Tide is closed . That place used to be CRAZY.

Danny's (I don't think they have a web page - Yelp URL below)

They have specific music nights, I don't remember what they are, but I've been inside and seen lines on weeknights extending out to Damen. They have odd music, like disco nights, soul nights, and their bartenders have an eclectic vinyl collection. Hipsters of the world unite! This would be a Sunday/Monday possibility, though the busy nights are Wed-Sat

Danny's - Bucktown - Chicago, IL

I've seen absolutely gorgeous girls hanging out at Estelle's. (4am)

Big Star

Located a bit south of North on Damen. Right near the Blue-Line-Damen stop - Amazing tacos, and beautiful women (often). Very hard to find a seat here on weekends. Probably a very smart stop on a Sunday/Monday. It's a whisky/bourbon/beer bar, and the queso fundido is about the greatest thing you can eat in the world.

Big Star Chicago - Best Pastor Taco - Chicago Pastor - Chicago Gluttons

Nick's Beergarden -

4am bar for late nite activity: Hit or miss really, I'd say good for Friday/Saturday/days where people have the following morning off. ***THIS HAS BEEN A HISTORICALLY AWESOME PLACE CHRISTMAS EVE***

Welcome to Nick's Beergarden!

Innjoy - I can't recommend this place anymore, the Saturday DJ is the owner, but the beautiful women just keep showing up. It's a larger age span, and when the good DJ used to be there, I went regularly. I just can't handle how awful the music is now. If you can stomach his uninspiring spins, the women here are awesome. From age 21-45 (seen older there too). Ratio varies through the night, but I've been there when it was 6:1/7:1 F:M.

Innjoy is in a fun area though, near The Rainbow Club, and on a street with bars for all ages.

You will be here on a Thursday it looks like, and The Highdive, has some craft pint specials on that day, it's not the whole list but they will be $3 for the *'ed ones on their menu. They have had Zombie Dust for $3 in the past. (Though I doubt they are doing that often anymore). The website doesn't show the Thursday special, and they may have discontinued it.

Home

Ok, here's a start. All these places listed too, have at least some local quality dining options, if they don't have food themselves.

Good luck, and welcome! Hope O'hare isn't a mess for you!

ISO

RESPECT!!!

THIS IS A SOLID LIST

Man so people/women go out on Monday nights?

YAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!

AND I'M FLYING IN FROM MIDWAY SIR

Old 12-11-2013, 12:35 PM

People are out everyday of the week. It's just that some days you'll see less people out. I mean, places won't be as crowded on average as the weekends, but there's still people out. During the summer months though more people are out every single day.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:51 PM

319 posts, read 604,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
People are out everyday of the week. It's just that some days you'll see less people out. I mean, places won't be as crowded on average as the weekends, but there's still people out. During the summer months though more people are out every single day.
Admittedly the cold that has lasted this long, and the 8-14 CPC forecast continues it, with us being below average temp and above average precipitation, may keep people indoors. However, since its been going on for weeks now, there is a chance that people will be getting cabin-fever and going out once again.

Climate Prediction Center

I thought of another place that will be closer to where you are staying. I am by no means a fan of karaoke. I am a fan of women who have nice voices though. I've heard just AWESOME female singers at this place. Sure it's not all of them, but some are phenom.

Blue Frog Bar & Grill - Near North Side - Chicago, IL

Old 12-11-2013, 01:06 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isotope-C14 View Post
Lulz.

NYE is amateur night, the city gets flooded with suburbanites/tourists and ruins the day.
This. This, many times over.

It's not just suburbanites and tourists (though there are plenty of both), but also city-dwellers who don't go out often so OMG WE'RE GOING TO MAKE THIS THE BEST NIGHT EVER OMG OMG WOOOOOOOO!

And of course, bars know this, so they try to fleece everyone with package "deals."

Overdressed people, overserved people, overpriced everything, crowds, etc.

Personally, NYE is the one night of the year that I would rather NOT go to a bar. I always hope someone I know will invite me to a house party on NYE, which usually happens. On years when it doesn't happen, I look for an unpretentious dive bar, preferably one with a decent band playing, cheap drinks, and no BS package deals.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:10 PM

Are the women receptive towards charismatic men with a odd sense of humor?

Sunday would be perfect Walk From Danny's to Estelle it's only half a mile....

Yes now it's coming togther......

;-p
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago