Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 08:41 PM

646 posts, read 926,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
You can get nice units with in-unit washer/dryer for far less than $1300 if you don't insist on living in Lakeview, or wherever. Someone I used to know has a pretty sweet-ass one bedroom in Irving Park with granite kitchen counter tops, a small deck, and in-unit laundry for like $950/mo. I suppose the catch is there's nothing exciting about where he lives. It's a perfectly nice and safe neighborhood, but it's not hopping or filled to the brim with the cool kids. So it really boils down to where you want to live. You can still live in the city in a nice neighborhood and find what you seek for under $1,000, just not if you want to live in transplantville.
doesnt matter to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 08:50 PM

I been looking and haven't really seen these kinda apts for 1k even in the nearby suburbs, only farther out

Old 12-15-2013, 08:17 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
I been looking and haven't really seen these kinda apts for 1k even in the nearby suburbs, only farther out
Here is a property in Berwyn ("nearby suburb") that's $875 with an in-unit washer/dryer:

**Fully rehabbed, condo quality 1br. Heat incl! In-unit washer dryer!

Of course if you ask most people here, Berwyn is not a place you'd want to move. I disagree. Lori has the best comments in this thread. Personally, I think if you're paying $1000 in rent in the Chicago area/surrounding suburbs, your apartment better be luxurious or come with at least one extra bedroom. It's crazy to spend $1000 on a one bedroom in Chicago because you absolutely do not have to and can still live in a nice area. My rent is $800 and I live in a very safe area. I don't have an in-unit washer and dryer (not necessary for me) but we have laundry in our building. Anyway, looking online will not yield the best results, especially when it comes to single-owner properties (and those will likely yield the better rates). You will have to canvass neighborhoods.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Here is a property in Berwyn ("nearby suburb") that's $875 with an in-unit washer/dryer:

Of course if you ask most people here, Berwyn is not a place you'd want to move. I disagree. Lori has the best comments in this thread. Personally, I think if you're paying $1000 in rent in the Chicago area/surrounding suburbs, your apartment better be luxurious or come with at least one extra bedroom. It's crazy to spend $1000 on a one bedroom in Chicago because you absolutely do not have to and can still live in a nice area. My rent is $800 and I live in a very safe area. I don't have an in-unit washer and dryer (not necessary for me) but we have laundry in our building. Anyway, looking online will not yield the best results, especially when it comes to single-owner properties (and those will likely yield the better rates). You will have to canvass neighborhoods.
i usually dont take listings without phone numbers seriously, and this is weeks old

Old 12-15-2013, 09:17 AM

I've viewed that property before when I was hunting, and I have a friend that lives there. It's legit, and it looks like the photos. Regardless, I posted it as an example of what you're looking for, and it's well under a grand.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I've viewed that property before when I was hunting, and I have a friend that lives there. It's legit, and it looks like the photos. Regardless, I posted it as an example of what you're looking for, and it's well under a grand.
ok, cool
whats exactly wrong with berwyn that some people dont like it?

Old 12-15-2013, 09:22 AM

LOL!! I don't want to open that debate. But you can check crime statistics yourself. Last time I checked (and it has been at least a year), crime was lower than neighboring and more desirable Oak Park.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
LOL!! I don't want to open that debate. But you can check crime statistics yourself. Last time I checked (and it has been at least a year), crime was lower than neighboring and more desirable Oak Park.
there is no debate, im jus seekin information and u mentioned berwyn so might as well elaborate

Old 12-15-2013, 11:15 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
ok, cool
whats exactly wrong with berwyn that some people dont like it?
Berwyn is not a bad suburb. I don't think many people on here would debate that. If it was Harvey or Maywood then there would be a debate.

In the end it depends on what your needs are, like where you'll be working. You could damn well be working in Hoffman Estates and Berwyn and a lot of other good neighborhoods in Chicago would just be bad advice. Chicago is a huge area and in physical area it's only about 2500 sq mi less than NYC's metro area.

I'd say to start by giving your requirements like what your commute requirements are if you have any (i.e. what suburb or part of Chicago you'll be working in), a budget, and all the stuff that matters to you (i.e. you want a walkable area, or you just don't care about walkability, nightlife, etc). Not a knock against Berwyn here, but if you ended up living there and working in another suburb that has to take you between about 8 different bottlenecks on the freeway system and takes 3 hours out of you in travel time everyday, you probably wouldn't be happy. Chicago area may not be as big as NYC area where you are now, but there's still 10 million people in the area here with some bad traffic and the area is not that much smaller than the NYC metro area.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:36 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:

Studios aside, just the basic 1 bedroom apartments will be pretty close to $1000 unless you are looking on the south side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago