Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 02:44 PM

934 posts, read 1,440,115 times

Advertisements

In the Loop, I don't actually get hit up for money that much. I think I don't look like the kind of person that has a lot of money (not on purpose...). Also, I usually wear bigger sunglasses, so it is impossible to tell if I've made eye contact or not. On the cta I might just plug in some earphones to tune them out all together. But I'll give if I've got the money, or food if I can spare it. And San Franscico is the worst I've ever seen the panhandler per capita.

Nevertheless, I find my run-ins with PETA to be far more annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 02:45 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
I dont give them money. If I even stop a minute when they say "Can i ask you a question" its not really to ask you a question like someone asking directions, its "Can you give me money" is the next sentence. the fact that I stopped and gave him/her attention, is just the next step in letting them give you their story. so i dont even answer. Even when the guy at the corner always says something like "I like your haircut" ... he's begging for money and i guess he feels giving me a compliment will release some money to him.

the strangest experience i had was when i was eating chicken in a fast food restaurant,, i ate all the meat off the bones and there was only bones left on my plate. a hungry person came by and asked if she could have my food, i said all i got is gones, then without saying anything, that person took the chicken bones off my plate and put a few in her mouth ... she was eating my chicken bones. then she left. that was very strange.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:09 PM

615 posts, read 1,381,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
I have a recently departed uncle who spent about a year on the street in Uptown back in the 90s. He used shelters, charities and also hustled money anyway he could. His pride eventually kicked which returned him to the workforce. He also got counseling.
Sorry about your loss.

This is an excellent example of the vast amount of resources available to the people out there and how they don't have to be homeless if they are actually willing to WORK!

Old 12-15-2013, 03:26 PM

104 posts, read 196,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post

Here is an example of a man that earn $60,000 a year from panhandling.
Panhandler Shane Warren Speegle Says He Made $60,000 A Year Begging On Street

That's right, $60,000! I know hardworking people and even families that don't earn that much!
I wanna know his secret so I can quit my crappy paying day job....lol

Old 12-15-2013, 03:26 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
I'm willing to work but I could go homeless if I lose our house due to property taxes. My parents paying all the bills keeps me alive. I would struggle a lot now if I had to get by alone only on my SSDI. I'd try to get any job to supplement it.

Sometimes I give to homeless people.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:03 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times
You guys have it good. Chicago is old school. Bums know their place and stay out of the trendy areas. They ask politely and know when to cower and back off.

Come to sf where they expect and demand hand outs. I'm talking about a city where u wake up, find a bum pooping on your stoop. You push him off, call the cops, and the police come and arrest YOU. Chicaga?? Pffft you got it made

Old 12-15-2013, 05:53 PM

498 posts, read 724,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I hear it all the time downtown in the loop and have gotten use to just ignoring. Come to think of it though I take cta every day but can't remember ever being hit up for money ON the cta.
I find this hard to believe. Are you taking a bus or the 'L'? Because I get it all the time on the 'L' and I don't even ride it all that often. Then again, I tend to ride it later in the day

And food stamps and shelter programs being how they are, there's no reason to beg for food. This just doesn't make sense to me.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:00 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
I've been hit up for money on the L but it's not a huge percent of the time, but it's not "never" personally. Maybe once every month or every other month.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:25 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I'm willing to work but I could go homeless if I lose our house due to property taxes. My parents paying all the bills keeps me alive. I would struggle a lot now if I had to get by alone only on my SSDI. I'd try to get any job to supplement it.

Sometimes I give to homeless people.
If you're willing to work why don't you get a job now and help your parents with their taxes?

Old 12-15-2013, 06:58 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
If you're willing to work why don't you get a job now and help your parents with their taxes?
I've been trying to get eng work since moving to Chicago Feb 2009 but I never got hired anywhere. I might have to look for a 24 hr / week PT job now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago