U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 07:48 AM

76 posts, read 115,622 times

Advertisements

So I will be visitng Chicago for NYE.
I've been doing a lot of research on this site (thank you for those who have helped) and others.
I've noticed that chicago has an impeccable transit system and it would safe me a lot of money

Would it be better for me to take the bus?

I read some peoples experince that cab drivers can be crooked and try to take advantage of tourist

Since I'll be downtown at the Hyatt would it be better for me to take a bus? or take a cab home

I'm not trying to be cheap but hey if I can save a buck or two why not?

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 07:56 AM

4,822 posts, read 4,216,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddybentherars View Post
I've been doing a lot of research on this site (thank you for those who have helped) and others.
I've noticed that chicago has an impeccable transit system and it would safe me a lot of money

I read some peoples experince that cab drivers can be crooked and try to take advantage of tourist

Since I'll be downtown at the Hyatt would it be better for me to take a bus? or take a cab home

Not sure where you will be coming back to your hotel from but at night, take a cab. Buses are fine for Michigan Avenue to get to museums etc and the Red Line to go up to the northside. You can always walk around River North and down to Millenium Park, Navy Pier etc. Plus you may have the ''cold'' factor, especially at night, so a cab is a must.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:11 AM

15,322 posts, read 21,308,429 times
Quote:

The transit system is good but far from impeccable For the US though it's pretty damn good. First, it depends on where you'll be going. From other threads, I know which Hyatt you'll be staying at (there are a few in the downtown area). It really depends on where you'll be going out at.

My advice? If you're used to the cold, then walk it. If you aren't or are feeling cold, then take a cab. There is good bus coverage in the area, but you should first know that most of them stop running pretty early. Like before midnight. There are a few that don't (such as the 66 - Chicago Avenue bus), but these won't be terribly useful to you unless you find yourself near Chicago avenue at the end of the night (the bus turns south and drops you off fairly close to your hotel). For the areas you may want to go to, you really may end up riding for 2 stops, and very possibly even 1, and still walking if planning to go out in an area like River North.

I'll put it this way though - if you plan on going out in River North, the walk is easy especially if it's not too cold out or you're used to the cold. The start of the closest big nightlife area is about a half a mile (4 blocks) from you (State & Kinzie or Hubbard). Just walk west along the river a few blocks to the State Street Bridge and cross it. It's not too far after the bridge. Some of the clubs/lounges on streets like Ontario are another 1/4 to 1/2 mile away. I don't know how used to walking in urban areas you are, but since this area of Chicago has a lot of buildings, the walk usually goes by quicker (unless it's really cold out).

As far as cabs go, only a small percentage are shady and will truly rip you off. My word of advice is to give them a cross street if you can. Instead of saying "800 North State please" just tell them "State & Chicago." It makes it look like you're more local and you know what you're talking about. I learned this when I moved here from locals and I've never been ripped off or close. I have, however, been taken around the block for an extra $1 before when my friend from out of town gave the address once, and it was not with a cross street. Since you're so close, the cab fare would be pretty cheap. Most cabbies hate it when you pay by credit card too, but they're required by law to do so. If you ride a cab and at the end you take out a credit card and the cabbie claims his machine was down then tough **** for him. He should have told you from the very beginning.

Last edited by marothisu; 12-21-2013 at 08:21 AM..

Old 12-21-2013, 09:03 AM

76 posts, read 115,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The transit system is good but far from impeccable For the US though it's pretty damn good. First, it depends on where you'll be going. From other threads, I know which Hyatt you'll be staying at (there are a few in the downtown area). It really depends on where you'll be going out at.

My advice? If you're used to the cold, then walk it. If you aren't or are feeling cold, then take a cab. There is good bus coverage in the area, but you should first know that most of them stop running pretty early. Like before midnight. There are a few that don't (such as the 66 - Chicago Avenue bus), but these won't be terribly useful to you unless you find yourself near Chicago avenue at the end of the night (the bus turns south and drops you off fairly close to your hotel). For the areas you may want to go to, you really may end up riding for 2 stops, and very possibly even 1, and still walking if planning to go out in an area like River North.

I'll put it this way though - if you plan on going out in River North, the walk is easy especially if it's not too cold out or you're used to the cold. The start of the closest big nightlife area is about a half a mile (4 blocks) from you (State & Kinzie or Hubbard). Just walk west along the river a few blocks to the State Street Bridge and cross it. It's not too far after the bridge. Some of the clubs/lounges on streets like Ontario are another 1/4 to 1/2 mile away. I don't know how used to walking in urban areas you are, but since this area of Chicago has a lot of buildings, the walk usually goes by quicker (unless it's really cold out).

As far as cabs go, only a small percentage are shady and will truly rip you off. My word of advice is to give them a cross street if you can. Instead of saying "800 North State please" just tell them "State & Chicago." It makes it look like you're more local and you know what you're talking about. I learned this when I moved here from locals and I've never been ripped off or close. I have, however, been taken around the block for an extra $1 before when my friend from out of town gave the address once, and it was not with a cross street. Since you're so close, the cab fare would be pretty cheap. Most cabbies hate it when you pay by credit card too, but they're required by law to do so. If you ride a cab and at the end you take out a credit card and the cabbie claims his machine was down then tough **** for him. He should have told you from the very beginning.

@Marthoui

Thanks for helping me bro, you are service to this site and chicago

I'll be at Hyatt Regency and plan on going to Vertigo Lounge saturday (isn't that by River North??)

It's a mile which isn't a bad walk, but who wants to walk a mile when it's 15 degrees?

I sure as hell don't so cab it is

Old 12-21-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
@Marthoui

Thanks for helping me bro, you are service to this site and chicago

I'll be at Hyatt Regency and plan on going to Vertigo Lounge saturday (isn't that by River North??)

It's a mile which isn't a bad walk, but who wants to walk a mile when it's 15 degrees?

I sure as hell don't so cab it is
LOL, thanks. Technically it's in River North and walking wise, it's more like 3/4 of a mile instead of 1 mile. Also the weather fluctuates, so play that by ear. It's completely possible it could be 32 degrees and sure it could be 15. Who knows. If it's too cold out, then cab it. At the end of the night too, remember there's a **** load of people out, so finding a cab can be more difficult. Don't sit back and wait for one - be proactive about it. It's entirely possible it could take you awhile to find a cab because of how many people will be partying down there on NYE.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:27 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,821,691 times
Quote:

Impeccable is an overstatement. I wouldn't call it that. It's pretty solid in general, though, especially by U.S. standards.

Generally speaking, you will save a lot of money (way more than a buck or two) using CTA instead of cabs, especially if you are traveling alone and/or traveling any kind of distance. (If you have a group of 2-4 people and aren't going too far, a cab can be a good deal.) Going solo, a $2.25 CTA fare replaces a $15-30 cab ride. Of course, it will usually take longer, may leave you waiting awhile on random corners, and may involve some walking, but this is usually well worth it unless you're wealthy, lazy, or in a major hurry.

Google maps is really good for getting public transit directions in Chicago, as far as showing you which trains or buses to take, and what hours they operate. (Only a couple of trains and a handful of buses operate 24 hours.) Just enter your origin and destination as you would for driving directions, but then click on the public transit option. Keep in mind that the specific time estimates it gives, down to the minute, are not very accurate. This is especially true of buses, which are subject to unpredictable traffic, and don't stop if nobody is wanting on or off. (If it tells you a train is coming in 6 minutes, it may well be 2 minutes or 15 minutes.) With trains, the time estimates are accurate within a minute or two, in my experience. There are various CTA transit apps available for your smart phone to check this stuff.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:23 AM

255 posts, read 513,269 times
Is the CTA doing free rides on New Year's Eve this year? They were still doing it last year.....

Old 12-21-2013, 11:06 AM

4,066 posts, read 6,868,360 times
I have taken many a cab in my time and have never been ripped off or had a problem, although I have read of horror stories. I personally think the cabbies are better here than the crazy ones I encountered in Washington DC. Whether you should use a cab or a bus is depending on circumstances. I think you got sound advice. If you are traversing up and down Michigan Ave hopping on the bus is a good idea. If you take a cab to the Field Museum you just might get stranded there and not find a good way back. Cabs are good for short distances but it can be expensive. Maybe you will use both.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Going solo, a $2.25 CTA fare replaces a $15-30 cab ride.
$15-$30 is a bit overkill for the OP's needs. To be fair, the OP is staying at the Hyatt Regency near the Michigan Ave bridge and going to river north less than a mile away. The cab ride will probably be around or even slightly under $6 for going a mile if it's like a 3 minute ride. To the OP though, remember that every 36 seconds in the cab is $0.20. I think the most common form of price gouging is the cabbie going slow enough to not make a light and making you sit through it to get a little more money.

I know it's weird, but if you act like you have to be somewhere ASAP, most cabbies will do that for you. I one time had to make a Metra train from Delaware & State to the Millennium Park station in about 8 minutes, which is over 1.5 miles away through two busy streets. I told the driver this and he was amazing. Somehow the stars aligned and I made my train (including purchasing a fare and running to the trains). Pretty sure we did that 1.5 miles in the city in about 4 minutes because we somehow hit every light and traffic magically cleared up after awhile.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:00 PM

2,615 posts, read 2,664,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Is the CTA doing free rides on New Year's Eve this year? They were still doing it last year.....
The penny rides are back this year courtesy of Miller Lite! They start at 10PM and will last until 4AM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago