U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 10:45 AM

5,897 posts, read 11,814,628 times

Advertisements

Check out this map showing age of buildings in Chicago.

Its broken into five categorie: 19th century, 1900-1950, 1950-2000, and 2000 to today.

Chicago Building Age Map | Visual.ly

Just click on whatever set of years (and the legend) to see the patterns.

19th century buildings dominate from just beyond the edge of the core/downtown to about five miles. (IE: Noble Square, WP-Bucktown, Old Town/Lincoln Park/Lakeview, Bridgport, etc.) as well as some further outliers (Austin, Pullman, etc.). In the core, you seem to only find pre 1900 where the loop meets Michigan Ave.

1900-1949:

Dominates everything from about four miles from the loop almost to the edge of the city, where 1950s houses dominate on the far NW, far SW, and far S end corners. Also the loop seems to be dominated by 1900-1949. Near O'Hare theres virtually nothing from pre-1950.

1950-1999:

Far NW, Far SW (AKA: "Cop/city worker-lands"), as well as much of theloop and north lakefront (revitalization during Daley the Ist reign). Also major developements such as UIC/Medical district on near west side, redevelopment of Union stockyards, other industrial zones.

2000-2010:

Looks like shopping centers scattered across the city, as well as well as all the new high rises surrounding loop (west/south loop, River north/streeterville). As well as some infill in the gentrfied north and northwest sides, as well as south lakefront.

Pretty cool.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 11:51 PM

190 posts, read 286,728 times
very cool map.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:05 AM

467 posts, read 1,757,396 times
Nice find!

Old 12-26-2013, 09:23 AM

15,322 posts, read 21,276,769 times
Was playing with the map a few days ago. It's really cool - lot of data and very interesting. I also hope they can keep this updated because in some areas older homes are being knocked down to make way for newer homes.

Last edited by marothisu; 12-26-2013 at 09:34 AM..

Old 12-26-2013, 09:24 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,413,946 times
Would be interesting to see it broken up into smaller time periods.

In my NW-side enclave, you can see the divide quite clearly just from driving around, and the map certainly confirms it. If you find yourself on a pleasant looking block, construction occurred between 1935-1940. Then all construction in the area stopped for about 10 years due to the war and ensuing recession. When it resumed in the 50's, the only SF housing built were ugly one story ranches, or multi-families on the main arterials. Each building tries to out-ugly the next.

Amazing how quickly architecture took a dive.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:42 AM

5,388 posts, read 4,808,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Would be interesting to see it broken up into smaller time periods.

In my NW-side enclave, you can see the divide quite clearly just from driving around, and the map certainly confirms it. If you find yourself on a pleasant looking block, construction occurred between 1935-1940. Then all construction in the area stopped for about 10 years due to the war and ensuing recession. When it resumed in the 50's, the only SF housing built were ugly one story ranches, or multi-families on the main arterials. Each building tries to out-ugly the next.

Amazing how quickly architecture took a dive.
Don't diss the midcentury stuff. It's taken for granted here in this city, but the particular style we have here is as unique to Chicago as the Prairie bungalow. Some people complain about them being plain, but minus a cortice the revered kind of multifamilies you find in areas like Sheffield Avenue are just as boxy and unornamented. Not to mention the historic significance in the 50s-60s-70s stuff, being the first large wave of suburbanization and the only one that made an attempt to integrate with the same streets and layout of the rest of Chicago (i.e. the city feel doesn't evaporate when you step onto a block of ranch houses like it does when you step onto an Oak Brook subdivision).

But think as you like.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:48 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,413,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Don't diss the midcentury stuff. It's taken for granted here in this city, but the particular style we have here is as unique to Chicago as the Prairie bungalow. Some people complain about them being plain, but minus a cortice the revered kind of multifamilies you find in areas like Sheffield Avenue are just as boxy and unornamented. Not to mention the historic significance in the 50s-60s-70s stuff, being the first large wave of suburbanization and the only one that made an attempt to integrate with the same streets and layout of the rest of Chicago (i.e. the city feel doesn't evaporate when you step onto a block of ranch houses like it does when you step onto an Oak Brook subdivision).

But think as you like.
Sure, I suppose you are right in that 50's ranches aren't as terrible as the subdivisions to follow. I can appreciate Meis buildings and some of the high end mid century home designs (one of the best ways to appreciate these homes is to drive through an Oak Brook subdivision to compare the original homes to the teardown McMansion-on-steroids). But, the mass produced ranches are still ugly. No way around it.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:01 PM

86 posts, read 142,844 times
Neat map. Kinda amused that the date on the building in live in is wrong.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:09 PM

5,388 posts, read 4,808,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Sure, I suppose you are right in that 50's ranches aren't as terrible as the subdivisions to follow. I can appreciate Meis buildings and some of the high end mid century home designs (one of the best ways to appreciate these homes is to drive through an Oak Brook subdivision to compare the original homes to the teardown McMansion-on-steroids). But, the mass produced ranches are still ugly. No way around it.

They're not as attractive as the older stuff in Chicago, but I don't think they're ugly. The bare-bones of them (proportions and lot usage) are still almost the same as 95% of pre-war residential buildings in this city. I just can't get with this out-with-the-old mentality, because that was the trend during the building of our midcentury housing stock and it resulted in the decimation of most of Chicago's inner-city historic neighborhoods.

MidCentury Suburbs Part 6: A catalog of housing types | A Chicago Sojourn

Thanks for the Oak Brook subdivision comment by the way, until now I wasn't aware that Oak Brook had nice midcentury homes.

/threadhijack

Old 12-27-2013, 10:04 PM

13,521 posts, read 20,108,174 times
My building was built in 1909. My son's school was built in 1888 ( the original building ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago