Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 11:28 AM

5 posts, read 5,190 times

Advertisements

Hello,

The wife and I currently are living just down the street from Wrigley Field. I moved there in 2010. I work in Oakbrook and the wife works in Skokie. We are both 25 years old and are not looking to start a family soon. I also am attending DePaul part time for my MBA. We are looking for a safe location to purchase a condo or house in the Chicagoland area. We would like something close to the highway and the L for our commutes. Fortunately we both work 7am-4pm so rush hour is usually not a problem. We would really appreciate any advise you could provide for a safe location where we can still have fun with our friends.

I am looking for a fixer upper, that I would like to rent in the future.

I appreciate your time and help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 11:33 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
That's an interesting balance of commutes - Oak Brook and Skokie. Do both of you currently commute via car, or something else? Also, what's your range of budget and how much space are you looking for?

Old 12-27-2013, 11:40 AM

We both commute via car to work, I usually take the L to my classes in the Loop at night. The budget is $150,000 for a more fixed up place that is ready to be lived in. I would like to go closer to $125,000 and use $25,000 to make renovations. My father worked construction and I have learned a lot from him and he would be more than willing to lend me a hand if I needed anything.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:42 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
With your commute situation a location like Roscoe Village is probably about as good a compromise as you could hope for. Bring boat loads of cash if you want single family detached or even a condo with two off street parking spots.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:44 AM

Street parking is not a problem for us, we both drive older dependable cars that have been well maintained. A small dink or scratch is the reason we have cars like this.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:46 AM

Gotcha. Have you considered a place in an area west of the Kennedy (i.e. Irving Park, Avondale, Logan Square, etc) along the blue line or something just east of it?

Old 12-27-2013, 11:52 AM

I lived in Logan Square on a 6 month lease when I first moved to the city, close to the Belmont blue line. It wasn't horrible however I often felt uncomfortable at night when walking around the area. Avondale and Irving Park both have caught my attention, again I was not sure if they were very safe neighborhoods. What are some of the better streets, or locations I should look at in these neighborhoods?

Old 12-27-2013, 12:05 PM

How long ago was that? I guess everyone has a differing "safety" type of thing, but I know what you mean. The areas have a bit of a "shady" feeling sometimes even if they aren't actually shady. The areas around the Logan Square, Addison, and Irving Park blue line stop are better for feeling in my own opinion. I find the area around Belmont stop too open and weirder, so I definitely know what you mean.

The area around Logan Square blue has some great restaurants and such of course and the area is growing again (or so it seems) in both residents and business. Real estate prices may be rising as a result of course. I'm guessing with your budget in any of these areas, at least the desirable ones, that you'd be looking at foreclosed properties..

Here's a cheap one in Irving Park near the blue line/metra stops. My friend actually lived about 200 feet away from this place on the same street for awhile. The area is quiet and there's also a Tony's Finer Foods grocery store within 3 minutes walk. I never felt unsafe there even alone at night. It's about a half mile or less walk to the blue line stop, and there's the Irving Park bus at the end of the street too. Also a park near Irving Park Rd with Tennis and baseball.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...64-23267?row=1

Here's one that's about a half mile from the Logan Square blue line stop and more expensive:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...81-52146?row=1

Last edited by marothisu; 12-27-2013 at 12:13 PM..

Old 12-27-2013, 12:11 PM

Thanks, I'll look to spend a few nights out in these areas over the next couple weeks and hopefully can find a place that is within my budget. I really appreciate your advise.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:24 PM

Yeah, and of course it's not everyone's cup of tea but it's good to experience it. Logan Square area has more nightlife of course, so if you're into that then it would be a little more up your alley. It's still not like Wrigleyville - quieter of course, but if you don't care then Irving Park is not bad.

There's still some good food in the Irving Park area too. My friend from Morocco says that Shokran is the best Moroccan in the city (right outside of the IP blue line stop). Bread & Wine is good ($16-$22 for entrees and a fairly nice place). Hot Woks Cool Sushi is decent and Wing Chong is OK for inexpensive Chinese food. Smoque BBQ is good as is Smalls BBQ a little east of there. Some decent Mexican places, etc. A few bars in the area but more dive bar types. Not a hopping area, but not bad.

As far as what Chet said about Roscoe Village - if you can find something there, it's good too. Not sure if you can find anything in that price range though but you never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago