U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 10:34 PM

24 posts, read 19,828 times

Advertisements

Hey guys - I searched this forum but most of the threads on this topic were 2-4 years old and had some broken links and outdated info so I figured I'd ask again as my situation was a bit different than the other older ones discussed.

This is kind of my last hooray. I'm 23 and graduate next Decemeber so its my last internship and I chose to try out Chicago and see if I could see myself here full time after school. I will be working in the Loop (I assume) at 555 W Monroe St.

I'm being given a $5,000 stipend for housing/living. I assume after tax that will be like $3500(??? - feel free to correct me if I will come out with more or less). So I'm looking to stay under that from Late May/June-mid August. I really am pretty adamant about not going over that and into my own money.

I'm from the southeast so I really have no clue about Chicago. I would like to experience Chicago and that includes the nightlife. I like all types of bars, including the dance/college bars that many here probably despise. I would like to meet people as well so I assume the best possible way is to stay in intern type housing and avoiding things like studios (but I'm certainly not opposed to it as I do value privacy).

The first thing I came across was the University Center and the Buckingham - both are near Millennium and about a 30 minute walk from my job. Sounds ideal and reasonably priced.. but I've been reading Lincoln Park and Lakeview are the places to be for a great Chicago experience? I was looking at some of the university housing that might be a bit north but most of them seemed to run about $4,000 at least for the summer and I wasn't really sure if those would be any better locations. Some of the other mentioned in older threads (DePaul and SAIC) I didn't see the option anymore for outside interns to come in and stay.. just current students taking summer classes.

Anyone have any suggestions/guidance about those 3 areas and if they are my best bets (with nightlife a major factor but also the commute to W. Monroe Street and the overall experience)? The Buckingham I guess wouldn't be all bad.. I just question how easy it would for me to get to the nightlife and coming back in the early hours in a not exactly sober state a good ways back to South Downtown.

I'm also not that big of a baseball guy - I'll be sure to check out Wrigley and catch a game or 2 - although I'm in a fraternity - I'm not exactly sure the hardcore baseball fan bars scene around that area is where I'd be spending all my time. I do enjoy a good sports bar though.

Thanks! Looking forward to experiencing your great city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago