Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 03:58 AM

320 posts, read 578,103 times

Advertisements

Chicago black folk don't sound more southern than NYC or Philly. Some of the youth in northern cities got their "blaccent" from the elders in their families that migrated from the south. Others probably listen to too much southern trap/crunk and mimmick it. Now I will say that Chicago may have more blacks that view a southern accent as a good thing. Many blacks from NYC and other northern cities still call us southerners "country a$$ n****s".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 10:43 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
Chicago black folk don't sound more southern than NYC or Philly. Some of the youth in northern cities got their "blaccent" from the elders in their families that migrated from the south. Others probably listen to too much southern trap/crunk and mimmick it. Now I will say that Chicago may have more blacks that view a southern accent as a good thing. Many blacks from NYC and other northern cities still call us southerners "country a$$ n****s".
Maybe someone just said that to you, and probably not in a serious tone. In casual conversation Black people in NYC usually refer to every else outside of NYC as "country" if they are not being specific about a place. They'll say for example that "yeah John is from the country". You might ask where exactly and they'll say "oh he's from Yonkers."

This is not an insult. It just means that you are from somewhere else. Or they say they are going to the country if they don't want to specific about where they are going, but letting you know they are traveling out of the city (5 boros).

Yonkers is city that is exactly North over the Bronx one of our boros. But it is not in the Bronx or any of the 5 boros, it is its own city in the State of NY. So it is referred to in general as country. It just means that is not NY. So if a person is from anywhere else and they are not from NY they'll just say you are country. But you could be from a large city. Its not said in a bad way.

White people say the same thing. They just substitute the words "the sticks" instead of country. They would say about the same person used in my example, "yeah, John he's from the sticks".

Upstate NY is considered country or the sticks.

One thing about NYC is that most people come from somewhere else. Most people are not born in NYC, we are used to different accents and different types of people, and we welcome that. That is why I'm thinking if someone said that to you it wasn't serious.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:22 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
I find this pretty accurate. I remember talking to a random white dude from Long Island in his 20's at NY Penn Station (had to ask him about a train line). He mentioned something about everything north of the Bronx as being "the sticks" or the "boondocks" including Yonkers. He also dismissed New Jersey and labeled it as "trash" lol.

Folks from the Bronx and especially Westchester County will obviously disagree with this guy. I always thought Yonkers was supposed to have some street cred anyway. It's closer to Midtown Manhattan than some parts of Brooklyn after all. Plus, a bunch of rappers call the area home. You have the whole Lox crew from Yonkers (Jadakiss, Styles P & Sheek Louch), DMX & R&B singer Mary J. Blige. There are some rappers that also hailed from Mount Vernon & New Rochelle which are a few miles to the east of Yonkers and also in Westchester County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Maybe someone just said that to you, and probably not in a serious tone. In casual conversation Black people in NYC usually refer to every else outside of NYC as "country" if they are not being specific about a place. They'll say for example that "yeah John is from the country". You might ask where exactly and they'll say "oh he's from Yonkers."

This is not an insult. It just means that you are from somewhere else. Or they say they are going to the country if they don't want to specific about where they are going, but letting you know they are traveling out of the city (5 boros).

Yonkers is city that is exactly North over the Bronx one of our boros. But it is not in the Bronx or any of the 5 boros, it is its own city in the State of NY. So it is referred to in general as country. It just means that is not NY. So if a person is from anywhere else and they are not from NY they'll just say you are country. But you could be from a large city. Its not said in a bad way.

White people say the same thing. They just substitute the words "the sticks" instead of country. They would say about the same person used in my example, "yeah, John he's from the sticks".

One thing about NYC is that most people come from somewhere else. Most people are not born in NYC, we are used to different accents and different types of people, and we welcome that. That is why I'm thinking if someone said that to you it wasn't serious.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:42 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
I find this pretty accurate. I remember talking to a random white dude from Long Island in his 20's at NY Penn Station (had to ask him about a train line). He mentioned something about everything north of the Bronx as being "the sticks" or the "boondocks" including Yonkers. He also dismissed New Jersey and labeled it as "trash" lol.

Folks from the Bronx and especially Westchester County will obviously disagree with this guy. I always thought Yonkers was supposed to have some street cred anyway. It's closer to Midtown Manhattan than some parts of Brooklyn after all. Plus, a bunch of rappers call the area home. You have the whole Lox crew from Yonkers (Jadakiss, Styles P & Sheek Louch), DMX & R&B singer Mary J. Blige. There are some rappers that also hailed from Mount Vernon & New Rochelle which are a few miles to the east of Yonkers and also in Westchester County.
If there were no signs, and the fact that the bus lines look different in Yonkers, from the ones in the 5 boros, you would think you are still in NYC until you get into Northern Yonkers. Each boro in NYC is also a county. Yonkers is a city in Westchester county, and they use Westchester county bus line, Liberty Lines.

Yonkers would probably remind you of some parts of Chicago like NYC does.

"The sticks", "the country", "the boondocks" as I mentioned is not an insult. "Boondocks" is usually reserved for rural areas that are truly rural. Like Ulster County, NY. Google that and you will see what I mean in comparison to NY or Chicago. (I'm not as familiar with Illinois to give you a similar looking place in your state) These are just expressions.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:50 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
Yeah, I've been on the Hudson Line Metro North train into Westchester County before (the one that goes through Yonkers). I never got out of the train at Yonkers, but I got the sense that southern Yonkers was urban much like southern Evanston still looks urban to a person that is driving or taking the CTA Purple Line or UP North Metra line from Chicago going north.

Quote:
If there were no signs, and the fact that the bus lines look different in Yonkers, from the ones in the 5 boros, you would think you are still in NYC until you get into Northern Yonkers. Each boro in NYC is also a county. Yonkers is a city in Westchester county, and they use Westchester county bus line, Liberty Lines.

Yonkers would probably remind you of some parts of Chicago like NYC does.

"The sticks", "the country", "the boondocks" as I mentioned is not an insult. "Boondocks" is usually reserved for rural areas that are truly rural. Like Ulster County, NY. Google that and you will see what I mean in comparison to NY or Chicago. (I'm not as familiar with Illinois to give you a similar looking place in your state) These are just expressions.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post

Old 01-21-2014, 10:04 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
You really aren't out of urban New York until you proceed north of the Albany-Schenectady-Troy Capital District, which is three hours north of NYC. Yes, a few parts of the Hudson Valley are somewhat quanit, but you're still in a fairly urba area ( Poughkeepsie, Albany, etc).

Once you're north of Albany ( and Saratoga), then you start to encounter far upstate NY, with heavy forest and lakes..and much more remote populations..

Old 01-21-2014, 10:21 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
You really aren't out of urban New York until you proceed north of the Albany-Schenectady-Troy Capital District, which is three hours north of NYC. Yes, a few parts of the Hudson Valley are somewhat quanit, but you're still in a fairly urba area ( Poughkeepsie, Albany, etc).

Once you're north of Albany ( and Saratoga), then you start to encounter far upstate NY, with heavy forest and lakes..and much more remote populations..
I guess it depends on what you consider urban. North of the Hudson Highlands or so (past Cold Spring) it's rural with scattered small cities. Some exurbs, but most land is farmland or woods. The Adirondacks are just remote, and barely inhabited in places. This is ain't urban:

West of the Hudson, of a MetroNorth line. Nor is this [photos taken by me]:

Yes, as you said there are small cities, but most of the land isn't built up.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:58 AM

320 posts, read 578,103 times
Quote:

Black people from northern cities were not interested in black people down south in the 90s. The south was taboo to them because of the stories that their grandparents told them. The opinions of black people in northern cities were negative towards black people from the south. The attitude was if you weren't from NYC, Chicago, etc. you weren't chit.

Last edited by SawBoi; 01-22-2014 at 04:20 AM..

Old 01-23-2014, 12:43 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
. The attitude was if you weren't from NYC, Chicago, etc. you weren't chit.
Little did they know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago