Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 10:09 AM

42 posts, read 74,992 times

Advertisements

Hi again --

Been mulling over a few more things...

I see all these openings for english teacher on the CPS HR website and I have consistently have... are those bogus or for real? Here in NM, there is this thing called a "must hire" list -- teachers who have been displaced for whatever reason and MUST be hired in another school, so you have to wait for them to be placed before new teachers are even interviewed. Am I, so to speak, lower on the totem pole, when it comes to getting an interview or job, because there are displaced teachers "in front" of me?

My observation here has been, if you want a job, you sub and when someone quits a some point in the year, it is pretty easy to swoop in a a get a job. My feeling is it will be pretty impossible to get a job before school starts, but I might be able to once it does. I am still going to apply to ANYTHING that is open and visit, call, call back and call back again, until they give me a chance to interview. I still wonder if I will get anywhere.

You guys talk about an e bulletin, and I can't find the link I think you guys are talking about. The link I get basically just pops me over to the HR website. Can anyone give me a link to the e bulletin?

Thanks,

BTW, after getting an answer on hours and pay, NOBLE is off the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 05:37 AM

12 posts, read 18,672 times
Here is a link to the e-bulletin https://hrportal.cps.k12.il.us/psp/c...SHOW_SUMMARY=N

Also send me a private message because I have a similar situation. I relocated to Chicago, I taught in a charter, now I teach at CPS.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:45 AM

4 posts, read 4,602 times
I am a CPS teacher on the SW side. Charter schools simply are large corporations that are moving in and taking over public education. Think of them like Wallmart or McDonalds of education. They offer alot and the advertising is top notch, but is the product they offer good quality products and how do they treat their employees? They pay off public officials and push their way into low income areas with the promise of newer schools and schools with supplies and new tech (ipads for all students). The reality is that they promise alot but only follow through with a fraction of what is promised and they are only obligated to do those things for the first 3 years and then they are allowed to "redistribute" those tech supplies to other school. Also most teachers are inexperienced new teachers that are hired very cheaply when compared to a 10-15 year veteran like yourself. I have a special needs child and I will not send him to a charter school because they regularly don't provide the needed support and there is little to no accoutablility for a chaterschool because ultimatly it is a private corporation running the school, not truly a public school.

Overall it sounds good but when you pull back the curtain Chater schools are just more of the same corporate greed and dirty chicago politics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago