Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 12:34 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,464,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Says the person who didn't go outside today with high temperatures that were around the lowest highs ever recorded for the city's history and 25 MPH winds. I hope you realize that the coldest recorded high temperature in the history of Chicago was in 1994 and it was -11. We probably set a new record today with that. It's not normal or even close to it. Use your head.
Actually I did go outside yesterday, and it was only deathly cold at night (which is to be suspected). I am almost ALWAYS cold, and I'm black, so if I'm saying the temp is being exaggerated, please believe I'm not just trying to be different. I've shoveled snow twice during this cold spell and still managed to be okay (aside from needing water). I don't care what the media says--I trust my body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
67 is my fantasy. It is 63 right now in my apartment.

My building sucks. They never turn up the heat enough. They claim they "can't" as it gets too hot in the upper floors, and then those guys complain. I tell the building super that they should simply tell the top floors to turn down/off some of their radiators. But nothing changes. At night it can go down to 59. I sealed up my windows better, but if they don't turn on the radiators enough, there's only so much you can do.

Sorry for the tangent.... I just saw you write "keep the temp at 73...", and my thought was that is kinda hot.
You need to call the city. The temperature in your place should be at least 68 degrees between 8:30 a.m. and 10:30 p.m and 66 degrees between 10:30 p.m. and 8:30 a.m

Please believe if my thermometer is a degree below 68 during the day, I am contacting my landlord with photographic evidence, and it gets fixed ASAP. No way I'd be in an apartment that only reaches 63 degrees.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:05 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Actually I did go outside yesterday, and it was only deathly cold at night (which is to be suspected). I am almost ALWAYS cold, and I'm black, so if I'm saying the temp is being exaggerated, please believe I'm not just trying to be different. I've shoveled snow twice during this cold spell and still managed to be okay (aside from needing water). I don't care what the media says--I trust my body.
Uh no it was not "only deathly cold at night" yesterday. Daytime was the coldest time of the day yesterday. At midnight it was -1. By 8am it had dropped to -16 and by afternoon it had only reached -12. By late evening it had "warmed" all the way up to -9. It really doesn't sound like you have any idea how cold it was yesterday. You might have if you'd been outside like you claimed.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:13 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
Woke up today and our flat was 55 degrees. I was warmer walking to the train!

Currently arguing with the GC who oversaw the disassembling/restoring of our HVAC system early this year, he's claiming that in this kind of weather our system being unable to keep the house at a reasonable temperature (hell, I was just hoping for 65) is normal. That's preposterous in my opinion.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post

Currently arguing with the GC who oversaw the disassembling/restoring of our HVAC system early this year, he's claiming that in this kind of weather our system being unable to keep the house at a reasonable temperature (hell, I was just hoping for 65) is normal. That's preposterous in my opinion.
Well it's not exactly "normal" in the 21st century but it's conceivable that a furnace otherwise designed to adequately heat a XXXX sqft house can't keep up in weather like this if the house is old and not adequately insulated. In our case the only difference between a furnace that couldn't keep up and a furnace that had no trouble keeping a steady 73-74 was to replace the windows. Obviously that's an expensive undertaking -- I understand it cost our landlord $20K per unit -- but the actual "fix" was pretty simple.

If proper insulation isn't the problem, then obviously something else is -- inadequate or malfunctioning furnace, a major leak in the vent system, etc.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It really doesn't sound like you have any idea how cold it was yesterday. You might have if you'd been outside like you claimed.
I went outside, it wasn't nearly the coldest I've experienced in Chicago (and I have been living here my whole life), the end. You think differently. Great! Isn't it wonderful that everyone is entitled to their own view?

Old 01-07-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I went outside, it wasn't nearly the coldest I've experienced in Chicago (and I have been living here my whole life), the end. You think differently. Great! Isn't it wonderful that everyone is entitled to their own view?
Yes it was "nearly the coldest" you've experienced in Chicago seeing how there has literally never been a colder daytime temperature in Chicago since they started keeping records some 125 years ago. It isn't a matter of what you or I think. That is a FACT.

Maybe the reason why the media feels the need to beat it into our heads how dangerous this kind of weather can be is because people like you refuse to take it seriously.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yes it was "nearly the coldest" you've experienced in Chicago seeing how there has literally never been a colder daytime temperature in Chicago since they started keeping records some 125 years ago. It isn't a matter of what you or I think. That is a FACT.
Did you look these statistics up yourself, or are you repeating what you've heard on the news? Because of course the news is always objective and agenda-less.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:47 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post

That is not normal My furnace and HVAC is 40 y/o and managed to keep it at 68 degrees during the day ok and 65 at night and half of the house (the older top of the split level has inadequate insulation in the attic). I did replace many of the older windows 10 years ago and did some sealing of the duct joints and furnace myself with caulk and tape.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:02 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Did you look these statistics up yourself, or are you repeating what you've heard on the news? Because of course the news is always objective and agenda-less.
You know they have weather data from NOAA online, right? For example:

National Climatic Data Center (NCDC) | The world's largest active archive of weather and climate data producing and supplying data and publications for the world.

-or -

National Weather Service Climate

We're talking about the weather here, not a giant ****ing conspiracy. You can check data online from the official source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago