Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 04:46 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,751,831 times

Advertisements

^ There is some **** going on and bad development in this way, but there are many examples of good development in the last year here, and I have shown a handful of examples in this thread of buildings that are denser than during the building boom. Let's not forget that 1611 W Division was originally going to be a drive thru bank, which the residents detested and made them do residential. It's now an 11 story, 99 unit building with 0 parking spaces. It was recently completed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 04:47 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,058,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Is the parking minimum higher than in other major urban centers?
I'm not sure - the problem with Old Town though is that it was both a great location and a terrible location due to its proximity to Cabrini (when that was a real issue). This allowed for lots to be cheap enough but attractive for investment in the 80's/90's, when there was a lower level of awareness of how things like parking minimums can be counterproductive to a neighborhood. That's my theory anyways.

Last edited by jdiddy; 01-10-2014 at 04:58 PM..

Old 01-10-2014, 05:15 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,187,809 times
I can see some of your points, but overall I would say that it's a good area that is quite active. Old Town is not really my style, but I think that I would prefer it over the Southport corridor myself. However, I will say that I think it's much better to be north of North Avenue.

What do I like about the area?

-Quaint Architecture and narrow streets north of North Avenue (Old Town Triangle) that is not seen in other parts of Chicago.
-Good transit access via train & bus.
-Gyms and grocery store within walking distance.
-Right by the park/lakefront/beach.
-Lots of sidewalk patios in the summer on Wells. I think you will notice a lot more activity in Old Town when summer rolls around.

Quote:
1. The building stock sucks! - specifically south of North Ave, sh*tty split faced brick buildings and dilapidated frame houses. I'm guessing Old Town is a victim of gentrifying in the '90s, when pretty much all new construction was cheaply made? Also, WTF is with the Boston Market lot and Strip Malls? Jesus.
I can see where you're coming from in regards to south of North Avenue. This area was actually one of the first in Chicago to gentrify back in the 60s & 70s, and they did some rather suspect rehabs. Certainly some ugly blocks west of Wells and south of North Ave. I think you're overstating the strip malls though, as they seem to be scatted in other trendy areas in Chicago as well.

Quote:
2. Too Ghetto - walking on Sedgwick after 9pm is interesting, I've never felt unsafe as I am 6'5" 240 LBS but my GF is very uncomfortable walking in certain sections at night. Im guessing it is all the projects right there, Marshal Field Apts?
Yeah, those PJs are not ideal to be around for sure. I know what you mean here.

Quote:
3. The Restaurants and Bars suck. There are a few decent spots on wells, but the area seems to be severely undeserved by good restaurants, I'm not much of a bar person (don't drink) but it'd be nice to have a several good spots to frequent with friends.
The bar scene in Old Town has actually really become more active in recent years, but on the flip side it has attracted a lot of d-bags. I think the Old Town bar scene has become a destination for those who like to party in Lincoln Park but are getting too old for that scene. The Old Town Ale house is a solid local bar around there that is laid back with an interesting crowd. I actually don't mind the Pour House as long as it's during a slow time there.

The restaurants are not the greatest overall but there are options. Top Gigio, Glunz Tavern, Twin Anchors, and La Fournette are good.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:47 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,921,999 times
I love Twin Anchors, it is looks so ancient that it almost seems retro...

Old 01-10-2014, 08:28 PM

5,736 posts, read 5,407,113 times
Concerning the built environment, Old Town south of North Avenue is a great example of free-for-all gentrification that has left a product in 2014 that won't please many people at all. Its shops and bars resist change and the area is no longer hip for either the hipster or the yuppy scene, yet is only slightly interesting as a relic of Chicago's recent past.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:20 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,834,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I love Twin Anchors, it is looks so ancient that it almost seems retro...
My preference is the Fireplace Inn, for some great bbq chicken...and just a block or two away--Second City..
Old Town is just fine to me..

Old 01-10-2014, 10:21 PM

9,881 posts, read 9,480,213 times
I wonder about this - why are the rents on the 500 block where Atrium village is, and theres another rental building that looks new, all in the 500 block of Chicago ave??? its very cheap rent.. is it because of Cabrini Green?

do you also know if any of the projects are still there? like any low rises? I was over there in my car by Division and Wells and theres a little strip where I got gas, and there was a Subway and a turkey bbq place. i was going down Orleans and there were some kids hanging out on the sidelines, kinda looked like Cabrini Green was still flavoring this area.

What can you tell me about this area?

Old 01-10-2014, 10:38 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,751,831 times
Atrium Village is a mixed income community and being right near Cabrini Green kept things low. As far as why rents have raised yet - there are some nice places around it that are more expensive but eh. The Plan Commission actually OK'd the redevelopment into 4 highrises and 1500 units. Hasn't happened yet though and I wonder when it will.

Atrium Village Gets The Go-Ahead - Curbed Chicago

There is still a housing project in Old Town in the Marshall Field Garden Apartments which is over 600 units which is probably what you see. However, kids hanging out on a corner doesn't automatically mean they're up to no good. I can't stand when people think that.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:25 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,697,699 times
Old Town doesn't suck. It just doesn't have the sort of features and amenities you seek in a neighborhood. "I don't care for it" and "it sucks" are not coterminous.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:33 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,870,212 times
Old Town was doomed by its own hipness and success. What was really a cool neighborhood back in the sixties with head shops and little unique restaurants got gentrified in a bad way. Chains, bad development, and the crowning crass touch was the former Ripley's believe it or not, to attract tourists who thought it was really the place to go. All while most people in the know at the time were moving north and going to other neighborhoods. Its sad. Some of the blocks north of north avenue and towards Armitage are still nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago