Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 03:42 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times

Advertisements

With regards to restaurants: No. Just no. Most places refuse to seat, accommodate, or otherwise deal with infants.

Re: children, God help you should you try to raise children today. One of my neighbors was visited by Child Protective Services a few weeks ago. She had smacked her son in public. It stopped the tantrum he was throwing, but I guess you aren't allowed to do that anymore. Not without being reported?

I don't know, it's all very confusing. Thank god I have no children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 03:52 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I do. And I also knew not to take her certain places when she was small. And I understand that even more now than I did then.
And you would then surely understand that:

1) nights out can be precious

2) leaving your kids with a stranger from a "reputable" website is not something every parent is comfortable with

3) as a parent, its not as though you enjoy the screams of an angry 8 month old

I am not defending the parents in this case, but i do find the rush to judge by people who may or may not even understand the plight of a parent. I have taken my child to many restaurants and coffee shops and other places. Sometimes it works out, sometimes we deal with an angry child. Would i take her to a place like Alinea? Probably not. But, my life doesn't end when I become a parent. I sure as hell wont stop going places with my family so others are not exposed to a baby that may get agitated at some point. If other humans are so infuriating to you, just lock yourself in your house and be a hermit.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:01 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post

2) leaving your kids with a stranger from a "reputable" website is not something every parent is comfortable with

I am not defending the parents in this case, but i do find the rush to judge by people who may or may not even understand the plight of a parent. I have taken my child to many restaurants and coffee shops and other places. Sometimes it works out, sometimes we deal with an angry child. Would i take her to a place like Alinea? Probably not. But, my life doesn't end when I become a parent. I sure as hell wont stop going places with my family so others are not exposed to a baby that may get agitated at some point. If other humans are so infuriating to you, just lock yourself in your house and be a hermit.
You asked if people here were parents and many of us replied yes. So your incomplete sentence of "I do find the rush to judge by people who may or may not even understand the plight of a parent" signals you aren't paying attention and are just being defensive.

The issue here is what it means to "deal with" an angry child. I can tell you from first-hand (ahem) experience that what most people rightfully expect is just to see a parent taking their duties seriously. And yes, that includes taking an uncontrollable baby somewhere quiet and away from a crowd until the kid can chill out.

You are hardly the first person to have raised a child in Chicago, we are all exposed to babies all the time. But this really has nothing to do with the city or with the age of the child but rather has everything to do with basic human decency in terms of being a responsible parent. Someone's little monster is throwing food in my direction, pulling a sibling's hair while I'm trying to enjoy a meal with my family and the parent does nothing, well, said parent can damn well be sure they're getting an earful from me.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:02 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Easiest thing would be to simply have a restaurant policy stating a minimum age to dine.
Actually, at places like Next and Alinea, the easiest thing would simply be to require all customers to have tickets, regardless of age.

If some rich family wants to spend $300 to see plates artfully arranged around their child, more power to them. Most, though, would likely realize that even an emergency babysitter is a lot less expensive.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:06 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Chet, ya gotta get with the times. The double-wide refers to the $300 stroller set now running unchecked around much of the North Side.

And the issue is not children. Young children make noise. The issue is parents who don't do anything to quiet their kids.
The new moniker for lax parents: Danny and Debbie Double-Wide.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:07 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post

I get all that. I still wouldn't take an 8 month old to a fine dining restaurant. In their defense, I understand them taking the baby anyway because they had to pay in advance.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Actually, at places like Next and Alinea, the easiest thing would simply be to require all customers to have tickets, regardless of age.

If some rich family wants to spend $300 to see plates artfully arranged around their child, more power to them. Most, though, would likely realize that even an emergency babysitter is a lot less expensive.
Rich people do not get a "get out of jail free" card when it comes to ettiquette and common sense.

Really, this idea that going out to dinner is like a Christmas miracle is kind of silly. You have a kid, you know that for a few years your life is going to be turned upside down. I understand well sometimes a break is needed - but the thing is, there may be plenty of other parents in that restaurant needing the same thing. A sitter falls through, suck it up and reschedule.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:10 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Probably has a lot of downsides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post

If the policy of these places were to charge for infants there might be even more goofy folks that would expect to photograph even more of their "experience", have even more elaborately discribed "food allegry precautions" and generally make things worse...

When we only had one kid we had no shortage of family / friends that would be thrilled to watch the child even on short notice. I suspect the folks that went Alinea had either no such backup plan (which says quite a bit about their social isolation...) and/or are the type that don't let their new baby out of their sight (which also says a fair bit about their level on non-reality...).

Old 01-13-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I get all that. I still wouldn't take an 8 month old to a fine dining restaurant. In their defense, I understand them taking the baby anyway because they had to pay in advance.
I do agree with this. Just seems to me this evening was set up to fail.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:13 PM

Btw, in the spirit of full disclosure I have never - nor do I yearn to - dined at a place this fancy. No judgment intended, it is just not my speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago