Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 11:49 PM

29 posts, read 35,375 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a senior at HCC in Indiana (South Bend/Notre Dame). I am graduating with 2 majors and 1 minor (Business, Communication, Marketing). I am a varsity student-athlete (soccer) on full athletic scholarship. I can speak 4 languages (not Spanish) and had an internship at Notre Dame Athletics. I will be graduating in May (2014) and worried about my future job. I really do want to work in marketing. And my dream was to live in Chicago or New York. I have been in this cities number of times and absolutely love it. But one thing I am worried about is, how hard is to get an entry level job ? What should I do and what shouldn't ? What should I expect ?

I probably know answers to this questions, but that would be great if I can get couple different opinions.

Thanks for your time and have a great day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 12:43 AM

49 posts, read 87,998 times
I hope im not being rude, and I know its none of my business but I can't help but be curious, if you speak 4 languages, why didn't you learn Spanish ? Looks like that would be a very useful language to learn in this country, with so many Spanish speakers we have these days.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:05 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mth1954 View Post
I hope im not being rude, and I know its none of my business but I can't help but be curious, if you speak 4 languages, why didn't you learn Spanish ? Looks like that would be a very useful language to learn in this country, with so many Spanish speakers we have these days.
You're not being rude.... Just a little ignorant and naive.

There is more to US than just English and Spanish....... What... are you trying to be politically correct or something and make this person feel guilty for not knowing Spanish?

Old 01-18-2014, 07:29 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
You're not being rude.... Just a little ignorant and naive.

There is more to US than just English and Spanish....... What... are you trying to be politically correct or something and make this person feel guilty for not knowing Spanish?
Spanish is the 2nd most spoken language in the US. Not knowing what other languages the OP knows, more people speak Spanish then say French or German.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:43 AM

50 posts, read 65,866 times
The city makes you lazy because the people don't do what suburbans do, they are lazy in Chicago and they look for cop breaks. We need you to come and inspire and bring that suburban lifestyle to you the city is losing the urban look and edge. Take it to church, your schools and family life are a high place and a service that the king must have one day.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:50 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Did they just add WiFi to the Belmont underpass?

Old 01-18-2014, 07:58 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
WiFi: More crazy in more places.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:09 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post

Old 01-18-2014, 09:08 AM

29 posts, read 35,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mth1954 View Post
No you are not being rude and yes it would be very useful. I took Spanish in college and know basics, but I am not one of those who know couple sentences and says I KNOW THAT LANGUAGE. No its wrong. Only language I learn is English, other 3 are my native

Old 01-18-2014, 08:40 PM

14 posts, read 36,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farky View Post
Hi, I am a senior at HCC in Indiana (South Bend/Notre Dame). I am graduating with 2 majors and 1 minor (Business, Communication, Marketing). I am a varsity student-athlete (soccer) on full athletic scholarship. I can speak 4 languages (not Spanish) and had an internship at Notre Dame Athletics. I will be graduating in May (2014) and worried about my future job. I really do want to work in marketing. And my dream was to live in Chicago or New York. I have been in this cities number of times and absolutely love it. But one thing I am worried about is, how hard is to get an entry level job ? What should I do and what shouldn't ? What should I expect ?

I probably know answers to this questions, but that would be great if I can get couple different opinions.

Thanks for your time and have a great day
Hi there,

I'm don't live in Chicago yet, so I can't really speak to the specifics of the job market in the city, but I think it would be useful for you to contact your universities career services department. They will be able to help you tweak your resume and put you into contact with some people. Attend any networking events or career fairs that your school offers.

You're going to be competing with thousands of other recent grads for jobs, so really the key is to just keep applying. Apply for 5 jobs every day until you get hired.

I just did a google search for advertising agencies in Chicago and this is what I found... Top Chicago Advertising Agencies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: