Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 11:07 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times

Advertisements

I never said they shouldn't look in the suburbs. In fact, I suggested it and said to not look in the city (unless the husband's office is near a Metra station, which isn't very likely). You'd know that if you just went to my first message in the thread and actually read it.

I have absolutely no problem with that. A commute from most parts of the city they may find attractive will suck (again, unless the OP's husband's office is very close to the metra stop, then they could have a few city options maybe, budget depending). I have a problem, however, with leading the OP on to believe that any of the suburbs listed are walkable in almost every single area. While they may have areas of walkability, the OP should do their research around the areas to make sure they know what it's like. An area with one small walkable downtown is not going to be as attractive to them as an area where there are stores at the end of a block or two or many areas. Yes, there may be a compromise, but the OP should be aware of these things.

Last edited by marothisu; 01-24-2014 at 11:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 11:17 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Nice of you to acknownledge there arre suburbs that are WALKABLE in mulitple area too...

A few towns even have multiple rail stops which result in separate shopping districts and such...

Old 01-24-2014, 11:20 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
And there arre suburbs that are WALKABLE in mulitple area too...

A few towns even have multiple rail stops which result in separate shopping districts and such...
I'm aware of this Chet, which is why I listed a few of them. I guess you still haven't read my original message in this thread where I suggested basically three suburbs instead of the city, again. Take a deep breath, and actually read things.

Again, it's good to tell the OP that not everywhere in every suburb is walkable. This is stuff we take for granted, and the OP, perhaps only having lived in Brooklyn and London, may very well not be aware of this reality in most of American suburbs. They should be aware that these suburbs may have both walkable and not very walkable areas in them and they should do their research if they plan on moving to any of these suburbs. It's not that complicated, and it's something the OP should absolutely be aware of.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:03 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times
Upon looking at the map a bit more closely, here are some additional suburbs (some might have been mentioned) that I'd recommend:

* Oak Park (as dense as Chicago suburbs come, just west of the city, excellent public transit to the city via Metra & CTA trains, manageable drive to Itasca)

* Forest Park, River Forest, etc. (these are the towns that surround Oak Park. I'd recommend them for mainly the same reasons I'd recommend Oak Park)....alright, if schools are important, forget Forest Park (per Chet's advice)

* Arlington Heights (high quality downtown area for a slightly further out suburb, lots of express Metra trains for commuting to the city. relatively short commute to Itasca going south along Highway 53)

* Park Ridge (not a long distance drive to Itasca, Only 10.8 miles, but mostly local roads that can be fairly congested. Very good, quick Metra train service to Chicago.)

I think the architecture & character is solid in all of the suburbs I have mentioned above.

Going back to my city recommendation, probably the West Loop. Again, it depends on how far the Itasca office is from the Metra station. You'd be able to potentially walk to your downtown Loop office.

Last edited by reppin_the_847; 01-24-2014 at 02:30 PM..

Old 01-24-2014, 02:17 PM

As previously mentioned Forest Park suffers with wretched Proviso schools...

Also, having done this commute, the worst choke points tend to be the notorious "Hillside Strangler" and anything that puts one west of said traffic monster are worth the effort...

Old 01-24-2014, 03:19 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
Like NW Brooklyn? Lincoln Park or Old Town. Wicker Park is kind of like the artsy corner but it has better architecture than Williamsburg.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:22 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,409 times
I am very familiar with Hinsdale and it is nice (probably the nicest Chicagoland suburb not on the North Shore) and semi-walkable, but fairly expensive and kind of cliquey. They have a downtown, but very small and quiet. They have a rail stop, which is good. Schools are excellent.

Hinsdale, culturally, though, is almost like the anti-Brooklyn. It's more like a Chicago version of Connecticut or something, or like a piece of the North Shore (like Winnetka or Kenilworth) accidentally got moved to the (generally more modest) western suburbs.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:19 AM

Default Really? Perhaps one is mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
I am very familiar with Hinsdale and it is nice (probably the nicest Chicagoland suburb not on the North Shore) and semi-walkable, but fairly expensive and kind of cliquey. They have a downtown, but very small and quiet. They have a rail stop, which is good. Schools are excellent.

Hinsdale, culturally, though, is almost like the anti-Brooklyn. It's more like a Chicago version of Connecticut or something, or like a piece of the North Shore (like Winnetka or Kenilworth) accidentally got moved to the (generally more modest) western suburbs.

If by western suburbs one includes Elmhurst, River Forest, Glen Ellyn, LaGrange,Western Springs, Riverside, Downers Grove, and Oak Brook it would be curious to understand how one defines "generally more modest" as all of those towns have a VERY pricey mix of homes. To extend the analogy of housing prices, if those in Hinsdale & Clarendon Hills are most like Greenwich with the surrounding western suburbs are also like New Canaan, Stamford, Westport, Darien, Ridgefield...

Now,as to the "anti-Brooklyn" I would posit that in terms of the pattern of affleunce, awareness of arts/culture, charming quality of housing, relative walkability, worldliness, and overall desirability anyone that sees no similarities between Hinsdale and what the OP asked for has a very narrow world view. I would ask if they have ever encountered suburbs like Romeoville, Antioch, or Glendale Heights all of which are far more antithetical to the desires of the OP.

By any objective measure Hinsdale has a rather vibrant downtown. There are numerous independent boutiques that take pride in finding clothing and accessories from emerging designers. There are locally owned businesses that specialize in organic meats, fish and produce. There are bars and resturants with innovative menus and a convivial atmosphere. I wonder by what magic one could get so many things wrong about Hinsdale, are they also to be believed it is "cliquey"?

And, by the way, Hinsdale is served by three rail stops along the BNSF.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:51 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
I have relatives in Hinsdale. If you think that is a walkable community you are completely bonkers, everybody drives, and for everything.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:07 PM

The data shows that a MAJORITY of people inside the City of Chicago rely on personal vehicles.

The data further shows that Hinsdale, with its three Metra stops, has an extremely large percentage of residents that walk to commuter stations. This pattern further carries over to the schools, the majority of students walk to , the shopping areas in the core of town which are easily walked to and the many recreational facilities / parks in town that contribute to its very pedestrian friendly atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago