Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 08:37 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,019 times

Advertisements

Yeah, just like that kid who I used to work with at Northwestern University who whined that 'he wasn't rich' after his friend mentioned the size of his trust fund.

Like aragx6, I grew up poor inching up to lower middle class. It wasn't until I was older that I discovered that for part of my childhood, we qualified for welfare despite that my father worked full time as non-union construction (he couldn't get into the union for some reason), but my parents were too proud to sign up. There were a few times, recalling some of our empty cabinets and meager meals, I think I probably would have, had I been in their place. But at the time, I wasn't aware that we didn't have much money. Needless to say, I when I hear those exclaim that people who make 250k a year or more aren't 'well off', I have to stifle a mirthful laugh. It isn't that I'm envious, or disdainful of the rich, I have wealthy friends, and to not begrudge them their wealth, but I do get a bit disgusted by those who have no clue what it is like on the other side of the coin, and cluck on about the 'poor middle class' as they discuss the plight of people making six figures a year.

Last edited by j33; 08-19-2008 at 08:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 08:39 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,595,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Yeah, just like that kid who I used to work with at Northwestern University who whined that 'he wasn't rich' after his friend mentioned the size of his trust fund.
lol

Old 08-19-2008, 08:57 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,774,945 times
Quote:
It isn't that I'm envious, or disdainful of the rich, I have wealthy friends, and to not begrudge them their wealth, but I do get a bit disgusted by those who have no clue what it is like on the other side of the coin, and cluck on about the 'poor middle class' as they discuss the plight of people making six figures a year.
But a "middle class" family often does make six figures a year. For example, a household led by two elementary school teachers would clear more than $100K per year, and I would say they would still be a typically middle-class family. $250K? Not so much.

In addition to the book recommended by IrishTom29, there is a book called Class Matters put out by the New York Times a few years ago. It's basically a collection of several class-related features the Times has put out over the years, but it was a really interesting read.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:00 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,019 times
Lookout Kid - Oh, I'm aware of that, but right now I'm more concerned about my friend who is trying to raise her three kids on $10 an hour and has no health insurance. After that I'll spare a thought for the poor soul trying to eek out a living on 100k a year.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:02 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,774,945 times
Quote:
Lookout Kid - Oh, I'm aware of that, but right now I'm more concerned about my friend who is trying to raise her three kids on $10 an hour and has no health insurance. After that I'll spare a thought for the poor soul trying to eek out a living on 100k a year.
Fair enough!

Old 08-20-2008, 07:08 AM

440 posts, read 1,501,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
are there any areas or neighborhoods in the greater chicago metro area that are poor/low-income and are predominatly white, Non-hispanic? if so, where are they?
East Pilsen is probably the most conspicuous. But because the low-income whites are for the most part artists, students and slackers, it probably isn't the kind of place you would want to do a sociology thesis on, unless you want to study how educated but underachieving whites coexist and interact with yuppies and working-class Mexican families. There are still a fair number talk through their nose, pronounce "th" as either "t" or "d", been their forever-style old timers, too, which ads another dimension to the already-ecclectic mix.

Come to think of it, that might be an interesting study, after all.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:26 PM

55 posts, read 209,316 times
The topic of this thread brings up A LITTLE KNOWN FACT:

Despite the whining of non-whites, when "gentrification" actually occurs, it displaces lower-middle class whites first, and foremost.

Let us all think about it.

Who was displaced in the mass-gentrification of Chicago? starting with lincoln park, lake view, andersonville, roscoe village, et al?

[mod cut]

Can anyone name a non-white neighborhood where people were forced out, before a white neighborhood was "gentrified" first?

Yeah, exactly. Nobody can disprove this, because it is fact, despite how many anti-white liberals want to deny it. Bring it on, if you are an intellectual.

Last edited by aragx6; 08-21-2008 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: RACIST

Old 08-21-2008, 12:27 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,595,502 times
I think this thread needs an enema.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:15 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,521,797 times
Quote:
lower middle income Whites are displaced first by gentrification, yet it is only the non-white racists that make a deal out of it, later on, when non-whites are impacted and start complaining.
Why would non-whites complain when, as you claim, no non-white neighborhood has ever been forced out by gentrification? You have just contradicted yourself here. And as far as non-white neighborhoods being forced out....the history of the United States itself is the history of non-whites being forced out of their neighborhoods by white settlers.

Quote:
Admit it, IT WAS WHITES that were screwed, yet every non-white whines about it, while whites do not!!!
How about all the whining from the white flighters from Elmwood Park? How about checking the California forum and listen to all the whining of white flighters who complain about the influx of non-white people into their state?

Quote:
Whites are a different breed, ones who's ancestors pioneered and built, that's why they have the integrity to never whine.
I've noticed this among white supremacists, that they always pride themselves for the achievements of their white ancestors. White supremacists like to claim credit for things they themselves didn't achieve. Yes, Isaac Newton was white and he was a genius. But just because he was a genius and achieved much doesn't mean that David Hammond is also a genius and has achieved much.

But David Hammond would like to identify himself with Isaac Newton in the hope the Mr. Newton's achievements would rub off on him. After all, they both belong to the same white race. But if such thinking were to be followed to its logical conclusion, then David Hammond should also be held accountable for all the crimes that his white ancestors have committed, no? Slavery reparations perhaps? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I'm white myself, but I would never take credit for anything anyone of my ancestors accomplished. I can only be held accountable for my own actions.

Last edited by ndfmnlf; 08-21-2008 at 02:40 AM..

Old 08-21-2008, 07:55 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,609,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I think this thread needs an enema.
or maybe what this thread needed was at least ONE person to report a darn post! Instead of answering people, please report them and I will handle it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago