Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 11:50 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times

Advertisements

I like the winters here, but this one has been rough. I can deal with cold, but it seems like this winter has had a different surprise for us every couple of days, and they've all sucked.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:25 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
This is definitely not true. NYC winters are significantly warmer than those of Chicago, and NYC receives significantly less snow.
NYC is warmer, but not significantly. Significant would be anywhere in the South versus Chicago. Let's take a look here, and I'm going to count some fall and spring months too. These are averages 1980-2010 for NOAA.

November: NYC = +5.2 degrees
December: NYC = +7.7 degrees
January: NYC = +6.8 degrees
February: NYC = +5.8 degrees
March: NYC = +2.9 degrees
April: NYC = +2 degrees

December to February, NYC is no more than 7.7 degrees warmer on average. If you take into account November or March-April, it's lower (though yes, these are not winter, but November can certainly start to get cold).

That is in no way significant temperature difference. Warmer? Yes. Noticeable? A little bit, but "significant" is just wrong especially when you take into account how many other US cities that are warmer than NYC in the winter. To give you an idea of this, Indianapolis' winter is not too much different than NYC's precipitation and temperature wise. Nobody would ever claim that Indianapolis is significantly warmer than Chicago in the winter.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
Traffic and commute times are very close to being as bad as LA from what I've read on the forums, and from what I've heard from people who live there.
It depends on what freeway you drive on. The problem in LA is that there's more freeways that are clogged. In Chicago you may have 3 of them, LA is way more. Some of the traffic in Chicago can be as bad as LA if you're involved in it. Half of my family is from LA and my dad grew up there. The first time he drove in rush hour traffic on the Kennedy, he was pissed off and proclaimed it to be just as bad if not worse than LA. But again, I've been to LA a lot and spent hours on the freeway system there. While there are areas of Chicago that can be just as bad as LA, there's a higher number of those spots in LA and that's the problem. LA is improving their public transit, but it's still a long ways away from Chicago as a whole.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:29 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
I love Chicago and wish I could live these. End of story.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:49 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookfish View Post
This weather alone makes this city second tier. What does this city offer that other major cities do not? Half the things are not even doable 8 months of the year(beaches, navy pier, LSD etc.) Cannot wait to move to warm weather. End of rant.
There are warmer cities in the US but they generally don't have the culture of hanging out outdoors that Chicago has. I think the average person in LA spends the same number of hours outside year-round as someone from Chicago does just when the weather is nice.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:57 PM

15 posts, read 15,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
While there are areas of Chicago that can be just as bad as LA, there's a higher number of those spots in LA and that's the problem.
Exactly. And in L.A., you can run into terrible traffic on any freeway at any given time...a weekend afternoon, for example. As a longtime L.A. resident considering moving to Chicago, my impression is that in Chicago at least the traffic patterns are a little bit more predictable - would you agree?

Old 01-25-2014, 12:58 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
Traffic and commute times are very close to being as bad as LA from what I've read on the forums, and from what I've heard from people who live there.

Doesn't Illinois have higher property taxes than California?
Too bad what you read on forums doesn't equate to studies.
The Most Traffic-Congested Cities In North America - Forbes
Ten cities with the worst traffic
Cities with the worst traffic congestion - Mar. 4, 2011
The Ten Worst U.S. Cities For Traffic Congestion
Going Nowhere: 10 Worst U.S. Cities for Traffic | TIME.com
4 out of these 5 I found list LA higher than Chicago.

The difference-maker though is people have more ability to take public transit in Chicago versus LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
NYC is warmer, but not significantly. Significant would be anywhere in the South versus Chicago. Let's take a look here, and I'm going to count some fall and spring months too. These are averages 1980-2010 for NOAA.

November: NYC = +5.2 degrees
December: NYC = +7.7 degrees
January: NYC = +6.8 degrees
February: NYC = +5.8 degrees
March: NYC = +2.9 degrees
April: NYC = +2 degrees

December to February, NYC is no more than 7.7 degrees warmer on average. If you take into account November or March-April, it's lower (though yes, these are not winter, but November can certainly start to get cold).

That is in no way significant temperature difference. Warmer? Yes. Noticeable? A little bit, but "significant" is just wrong especially when you take into account how many other US cities that are warmer than NYC in the winter. To give you an idea of this, Indianapolis' winter is not too much different than NYC's precipitation and temperature wise. Nobody would ever claim that Indianapolis is significantly warmer than Chicago in the winter.
I think that difference in temperature is negligible. People in NYC can handle Chicago weather just the same and vice versa.

Seems like OP isn't cut out for seasons.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_ennui View Post
Exactly. And in L.A., you can run into terrible traffic on any freeway at any given time...a weekend afternoon, for example. As a longtime L.A. resident considering moving to Chicago, my impression is that in Chicago at least the traffic patterns are a little bit more predictable - would you agree?
I would agree with that statement. Rush hour on the busy freeways is usually between a certain time in my experience. The "unpredictable" part of it comes when there's a big event going on such as a Cubs or Bears game. Then again, if you travel on freeways used by game attendees, you can easily predict when it'll be busy by knowing the game schedules and learning after awhile.

This isn't even mentioning the fact that depending on where you live and work, you don't even necessarily have to drive to work or anything. The predictability is no different than on public transit either. The buses and trains can be pretty packed (more than they usually are) going north when the Cubs are playing on certain lines. Knowing the schedule teaches you to either deal with it or after awhile when things are less busy.

I would say though that the unpredictability with freeway travel here comes when it snows. You'd be surprised how many people here can't drive very well in snow, but also because everyone is going slower, it backs up things for longer. If it snows and you use a busy freeway, you should just increase your time by a lot.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:13 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_ennui View Post
To a point. The Kennedy and Eisenhower can and do have high traffic beyond the weekday rush time periods. Its certainly not unusual to see the Kennedy backed up on a weekend afternoon.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:25 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,420,781 times
An average 10 degree difference in cold temps, is certainly not negligible. There's a very noticeable difference in temps when we're talking cold weather. And this year the difference has been bigger still.

And I would definitely say that Indianapolis is also noticeably warmer than Chicago. Detroit, too, though colder than NYC or Indianapolis.

But obviously if you don't like cold weather, no place in the Eastern U.S. (except for maybe Florida and right on the Gulf coast) is ideal. They all suck for Winter weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago