Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 04:51 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times

Advertisements

OP, enjoy L.A!
I get that you are sick of the winters. I actually like it but I have lived in areas with warm weather all year around and didn't like that at all. Just keep in mind that the grass is not always greener. Los Angeles has its share of problems too , but you will find out . Good luck !

Old 01-26-2014, 08:07 AM

13 posts, read 13,930 times
The temperature never drops to 30 degrees in LA/Socal/San Diego. Anyway, I did not compare Chicago to some bum **** city in the midwest, I compared it to LA or NYC, the two biggest cities in the country. To each their own though, I guess some people are not cut out for the weather. I am sure everyone in this thread knows snow birds that flock to warmer climates during the winter and come back for the summer time. I would do that to if I had the money. Chicago is one of the best summer cities.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:33 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,826,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookfish View Post
The temperature never drops to 30 degrees in LA/Socal/San Diego. Anyway, I did not compare Chicago to some bum **** city in the midwest, I compared it to LA or NYC, the two biggest cities in the country. To each their own though, I guess some people are not cut out for the weather. I am sure everyone in this thread knows snow birds that flock to warmer climates during the winter and come back for the summer time. I would do that to if I had the money. Chicago is one of the best summer cities.
Right. Your argument still does not make any sense though.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:39 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,280,619 times
Yes, the daytime temperatures in SoCal do on occasion drop below 30. I am pretty sure of it as I was spent some time during winter holidays in SD. It is downright cold next to the beach. My adult kids whined like two-year olds when it was cool. When it is cold, overcast, and breezy in SoCal they thought it was the end of the world! It actually feels a bit like late November in the Midwest but it doesn't continue or turn into frigid sub -zero temps and snow. Winter nights can can be cold too - which is why many newer units have fireplace and furnace which are used rarely. SoCal real estate taxes make Chicago taxes seem affordable.

Quote:

Old 01-26-2014, 11:35 AM

572 posts, read 709,523 times
I spent 10 years in Chicago from DC. I loathed the Chicago winters. I couldn't stand it. It was just relentless cold that would never end. I didn't care or go to any winter activity.

I moved to LA last November. It was more of a career move, but I love the weather.

That said, Chicago is one the greatest cities in the U.S., if not the world. Is it better than LA? Some people would say so, some people wouldn't. They're different.

I think LA and it's suburbs are more interesting and offer more, but that's not really fair to Chicago. I'm not even sure NYC metro offers more than LA metro really. LA must be in the top 5 in the world for things to do and see.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:38 AM

My friends in Chicago are really complaining about this winter though. Some say it's the worst they've experienced there.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
I think I can answer my own question, lol. Chicago has a more creative food scene, and a better waterfront.
The great waterfront stops at the city's borders though. If you include all of LA's interesting beach towns (OC included), it easily wins.

And Venice Santa Monica are two of the most interesting and lively places in the U.S. You won't find anything like them anywhere else in America.

Some Rogers Park newspaper/website called Rogers Park the Venice Beach of Chicago. Yea. No.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:21 PM

536 posts, read 830,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Like any city its not for everyone. But worst summer weather? You are kidding?! Obviously you have never been to NYC, DC, Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Miami, Dallas, Phoenix, etc in the summer. Aside for 3-5 nasty days we might get in the summer, summer is spectacular in Chicago.

and btw Chicago has an average murder rate. Miami, DC and Detroit have much higher rates.
I agree that Chicago doesn't typically have terrible summers, but when it does get a bad summer it's pretty bad. It can get hot as hell in St. Louis as well.

The 1995 heat wave was particularly bad. Around 750 people died in Chicago. Mostly Elderly.

Chicago's daily low and high temperatures in 1995:
July 11: 73–90 °F (23–32 °C)
July 12: 76–98 °F (24–37 °C)
July 13: 81–106 °F (27–41 °C)
July 14: 84–102 °F (29–39 °C)
July 15: 77–99 °F (25–37 °C)
July 16: 76–94 °F (24–34 °C)
July 17: 73–89 °F (23–32 °C)

Old 01-26-2014, 12:53 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,990,019 times
Quote:
Yes I am planning a move to LA. Born and raised here but I think it is time for a change. Dont get me wrong, great summer city, unfortunately that lasts only 4 months of the year.
What about spring and fall, not warm enough for you? You are from the area, winter is cold in the north, maybe the extreme cold lately is what sparked the thread but it's not like you aren't aware of what to expect in January. It will pass soon it's already close to February. The grass is always greener, you may have your rants about LA too, once the newness wears off. Anyway, good luck on your move.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:53 PM

44,370 posts, read 20,076,303 times
Since we can't seem to control the bickering, this thread is now closed. Post have been deleted. Personal attacks will NOT be tolerated.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago