Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 04:38 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Ive been to all around the country and some of the worst winter weather I have ever experienced was in Chicago. At the same time, some of the worst summer weather I have ever experienced was in Chicago. The murder rate is off the scale, and the architecture does not appeal to me at all.

But I can't get over how much people who live or come from there love their "Chicagoland." So, there must be something much more to the city than I can see. I will have to spend some serious time there and make my own decision about the place.
Like any city its not for everyone. But worst summer weather? You are kidding?! Obviously you have never been to NYC, DC, Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Miami, Dallas, Phoenix, etc in the summer. Aside for 3-5 nasty days we might get in the summer, summer is spectacular in Chicago.

and btw Chicago has an average murder rate. Miami, DC and Detroit have much higher rates.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:41 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Ive been to all around the country and some of the worst winter weather I have ever experienced was in Chicago. At the same time, some of the worst summer weather I have ever experienced was in Chicago. The murder rate is off the scale, and the architecture does not appeal to me at all.
You have not been to a lot of places in the country, or world, if you think Chicago has some of the worst summer weather be it warm or cold.

About the homicide rate thing - anybody who knows this city knows what the real story is with that and how it is the tale of two cities. It's still not even in the top 10 worse rates in the US. Detroit literally had a rate 3 times higher than Chicago in 2012, and that was an abnormal peak year for Chicago. Last year (2013) there were 88 fewer homicides versus 2012, leading to a 3 per 100k decline. In fact, Chicago in 2013 saw its lowest crime rate since the late 1960s or early 1970s. Don't believe me? Perhaps you should read the study done by a Yale professor of Sociology about it here: http://www.papachristos.org/Welcome_...ngPaper023.pdf

Even in the high year of 2012, these cities had a worse homicide rate than Chicago: Detroit, New Orleans, St. Louis, Baltimore, Newark, Oakland, Stockton, Kansas City, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Memphis, Atlanta. If you look at 2013, then you can add Buffalo, Miami, and Cincinnati.

Don't get me wrong, there are some real bad areas of town that are not good, but there's a lot of good, perfectly safe areas of town too. Do the research and you'll realize that 75% of the homicides that have happened since 2007 have happened where only 30-35% of the population lives.

Last edited by marothisu; 01-25-2014 at 04:51 PM..

Old 01-25-2014, 05:48 PM

13 posts, read 13,883 times
Urban Cheetah,

I did not say weather is the deciding factor. Just that with better weather you are able to enjoy all the things cities have to offer. Anyway, you enjoy Chicago, I will enjoy a warmer city soon enough. Obviously 2.5+ million people agree with you and love Chicago, but I cant be the only one that hates the weather.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:21 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookfish View Post
Water front that you cannot enjoy half the year. Most major cities have great food scenes. I guess I am just a pansy now when it comes to the cold, and the whining is just my way of coping until I can move away.
I can enjoy the water front all year round.
But even at half the year or 4 months is plenty. That's a lot of time spent there.

You clearly don't know how to enjoy yourself when the weather is cold. What Chicago has to REALLY offer can be enjoyed all year round.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:44 PM

13 posts, read 13,883 times
Man people get all up in arms when someone says anything negative about Chicago. Well I am taking the advice of all who say If you hate it so much, leave!! Thats the plan. You all enjoy this great city.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:06 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
Quote:
....the architecture does not appeal to me at all.
What architecture does appeal to you, then? Aside from the ugly new buildings going up everywhere, I don't think anywhere in the USA has better architecture.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:25 PM

190 posts, read 315,236 times
8 months?

lol

i do agree the weather is a major knock against the city, though.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:31 PM

190 posts, read 315,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The excessive efforts of the Chicago Public Library to run an "anti-bum" policy means it takes a whole lot of effort to get to the indoor roof garden.
well, that's not true.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:43 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
It is bitter cold below Springfield, too. I think Monday falls between -7 and -15 with -25 wind chills and starts to warm on Tuesday morning so it can snow again. This deep cold ground will kill off a lot of bugs. The snow in the fields is good too, but not so much on roads and bridges.

There is a lot fo SoCal. North country is pretty cool all the way around. Cool ocean breezes and good waves if you surf. .

Old 01-25-2014, 10:41 PM

332 posts, read 524,671 times
The weather does suck about 4 months out of the year here -- but knock one of those months out for the holiday season, and knock another one out for NFL playoffs (if you like them), and then there's really only two awful months in which of course you can travel. In four weeks from now when I'm on vacay in SoCal I'm going to be oh so concerned about Chicago's weather.

Actually next year though I'm going to plan on taking a January long weekend and a week in Feb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago