Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 08:45 AM

13 posts, read 13,758 times

Advertisements

This weather alone makes this city second tier. What does this city offer that other major cities do not? Half the things are not even doable 8 months of the year(beaches, navy pier, LSD etc.) Cannot wait to move to warm weather. End of rant.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:09 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,832,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookfish View Post
This weather alone makes this city second tier. What does this city offer that other major cities do not? Half the things are not even doable 8 months of the year(beaches, navy pier, LSD etc.) Cannot wait to move to warm weather. End of rant.
Ludicrous.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:42 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,592,009 times
I'll take this weather any day over the 8 months of oppressive, hot & humid, swamp air I've been breathing for the past several years.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:54 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,746,750 times
Let me guess - you just moved here recently and actually think this weather has been normal? LOL. It's not that normal, especially the day when it was like -10 for a high. That was almost the lowest the city has ever been for a "high" temperature, recorded..in history.

And no, it's not the best city in the world.

Last edited by marothisu; 01-25-2014 at 10:09 AM..

Old 01-25-2014, 10:19 AM

2,690 posts, read 3,152,912 times
Quote:
Then move to Los Angeles.

The fact that NYC has been extremely cold and even more snowy than Chicago this winter would probably disqualify them in your eyes as well, so LA it is.

PS: You don't think you can use Navy Pier or Lake Shore Drive 8 months out of the year? Seriously?

Old 01-25-2014, 10:26 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,379,382 times
Quote:
Noob.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
PS: You don't think you can use Navy Pier or Lake Shore Drive 8 months out of the year? Seriously?
My thoughts exactly. Not sure why Lake Shore Drive would be mentioned. It's a road, or are they talking about the running path along the lake? That path is actually open year round and people DO run on it during the winter.

The beaches are obviously closed for a lot of the year too, not to mention the fact that in a city like NYC, the beaches are open from Memorial Day to Labor Day. That's about the same exact time period the beaches in Chicago are open. There is a lot for Navy Pier that is inside too - there's museums there, theater, restaurants, etc.

Plus, is that the only thing you can find in Chicago to do? Navy Pier, beaches, and lake shore drive? Only one of those things is truly out of commission about 8 months out of the year and it's no different than NYC in terms of when they're open.

There are still concerts, theatre, events, bars/clubs/lounges, food, etc going on every single day of the year rain or shine. If you actually look for it, you'll realize how much **** is going on in Chicago every single day no matter what the weather is like.

And yeah, most of the country has been colder than normal. NYC wasn't much above 0 for the "polar vortex" and it's normally around 40 this time of year. Dallas was like 32 degrees. The low in Dallas on Tuesday is going to be 19 degrees. My friend is a meteorologist in Virginia and had a Facebook status two days ago how the low temperature where he is was only 7 degrees. This is not a normal winter for most of the country. Even warm places are seeing weirder things. My coworker just moved here from San Diego and said it was in the 80s around Christmas, which he says is extremely rare.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:02 AM

13 posts, read 13,758 times
Yes I am planning a move to LA. Born and raised here but I think it is time for a change. Dont get me wrong, great summer city, unfortunately that lasts only 4 months of the year.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Yes I am planning a move to LA. Born and raised here but I think it is time for a change. Dont get me wrong, great summer city, unfortunately that lasts only 4 months of the year.
I'm not trying to say this is the greatest city in the world, or even the country, but there's things going on everyday in Chicago if you have the interest. It's easy to fall into either camp - either too lazy to find out what's going on or on top of that. Some of these things may not be your thing, of course, but there's always things going on in the city. And remember, there's more to do than just going to a bar.

If you're really into beach culture, then this is not the right city for you obviously. I'm guessing that's the case, because anybody who knows anything about this city would know that there's stuff going on every single day of the year no matter what the temperature is like outside.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:12 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,154,312 times
Stop trying to look cute and dress right.
I can chill at the montrose harbor and relax in this weather.
Scarf/ facemask and 2 layers of pants is the most forgotten thing.

Do you even work outside?
I wouldn't ***** if you didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago