Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 05:02 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucktownbabe View Post
I would. 1,000 days is less than three years.
The distribution for which these dates have occured is in a random distribution, not a uniform distribution. The odds are therefore much more complex to calculate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 06:46 PM

527 posts, read 600,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The distribution for which these dates have occured is in a random distribution, not a uniform distribution. The odds are therefore much more complex to calculate.
Of course. I didn't mean to imply that it happens every three years on the nose. Weather doesn't exactly work that way. I understood us to be discussing mean, not deviation.

Last edited by Bucktownbabe; 01-28-2014 at 06:54 PM..

Old 01-28-2014, 07:33 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,059,784 times
I drove to work both Monday and Tuesday. It was -16 when I left for work this morning. It wasn't that big a deal to me. But then, I love cold weather.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:02 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,198,592 times
Most people here just walk from building to car.
Shut up

Old 01-28-2014, 10:50 PM

527 posts, read 600,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Most people here just walk from building to car.
Shut up
Exactly. Thank you.

It's Chicago. It's really cold sometimes. The end.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:08 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
The Midwest is often colder than Alaska, southeastern Alaska isn't all that cold and just a more northern extension of the Pac NW. Alaska just stays cold far longer. 0 to -10 is pretty normal in Chicago that hasn't seen much in the last few years, however, -10 and beyond isn't normal, nor is below 0 daytime temps.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:14 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times
The nickname Chiberia makes Chiraq look tolerable or even cool. For some reason, Chiberia just sounds annoying to me.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:12 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
The Midwest is often colder than Alaska, southeastern Alaska isn't all that cold and just a more northern extension of the Pac NW. Alaska just stays cold far longer. 0 to -10 is pretty normal in Chicago that hasn't seen much in the last few years, however, -10 and beyond isn't normal, nor is below 0 daytime temps.
Alaska is huge - over twice as large as Texas. Some areas the midwest can get colder than Alaska for sure and other areas ...not so much. The average January temperatures in Fairbanks is barely above 0. You're right about SE Alaska like Juneau which has similar temperatures as Chicago.

I'm still not sure how you think 0 to -10 is "normal" in Chicago. Average lows in December at Midway are 22.7. January is 18.2, and February is 21.7. If we say that 10 days out of every month are below zero (1 in every 3 days you could say is about normal) at an average of -3, then the other days in each month's lows would have to be the following for these averages to stay the same: December = 34.9, January = 28.3, February (28 days) = 35.4. I can't recall many times that the lows were that high in any of these months in Chicago. I don't think the city sees any more than 5 days below zero per year. While certainly it can be expected that a few days a year might dip below 0, it's not exactly normal/average other than saying "Chicago can dip below 0 a few days a year."

Anyway, it kind of reminds me of Nuuk, Greenland. Everyone just assumes it's below zero all year round but the average highs in the winter are 20-25. Unfortunately, it pretty much maxes out at 50 in the summer LOL.

Last edited by marothisu; 01-29-2014 at 12:31 AM..

Old 01-29-2014, 02:24 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucktownbabe View Post
Exactly. Thank you.

It's Chicago. It's really cold sometimes. The end.
Well no, that's not "the end" where the question of coming into work during weather like this is concerned. When temperatures get this cold, there are two critical factors that impact the ability of the workforce to get to work.

First, extremely low temperatures can substantially interfere with the efficient operation of the transportation infrastructure. Since this is the Chicago forum and not the Chicago Suburbs forum, the claim that "most people just walk from building to car" is inapplicable to a large percentage of us. Many of us rely on trains to get us to work. In this kind of weather, train track switches stop working, locomotives refuse to start, etc. And when that happens, buses become overcrowded. Even those who do drive can be held up by numerous accidents caused by black ice that builds up when it's so cold that road salt can't even melt the existing snow and slush.

The second, often overlooked, factor is school closings. Out of an abundance of caution (perhaps cynically read as "fear of liability"), many school districts will close leaving one (and in many cases the only) parent with little choice but to stay home to look after their kids.

So yes, this is Chicago and sometimes we experience weather extremes. But the key here is "extreme," and extreme conditions can and will slow down the pace of life here. We aren't going to make extensive preparations for and shrug off -10 any more than Birmingham Alabama should be expected to shrug off the 2" of snow that recently paralyzed the city, because these are not normal conditions for the respective locations.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:34 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedCubbieBlue View Post
Since you hate Chiberia, would you prefer CHILASKA?
OK, so I asked this question once before it was inexplicably deleted by a mod. Hopefully said mod will let me ask again: what the hell are you talking about? I literally don't understand your question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago