Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 09:12 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,386 times

Advertisements

Will anyone be missing this grocery store chain? The one that is located by me is being brought by Mariano's.

I actually enjoy shopping there. Their steak and fresh fish is very reasonably priced. I can get Choice ribeye for $6.99 a pound. They also have fresh flowers and roses for $9.99 to $19.99. That comes in handy when you need to pick up flowers for a chick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 10:41 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times
Hmmm....They just opened a Mariano's next to Toys R Us on N. Western a few years ago. Seems like Mariano's is getting bigger but I've never been to one. According to the Tribune, 11 will become Marianos.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:48 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
My friend told me they were having a massive sale on alcohol today, and today only. Like 50-60% off. I hope it was just his Dominick's. I wouldn't mind picking up a heavily discounted bottle of wine soon.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Hmmm....They just opened a Mariano's next to Toys R Us on N. Western a few years ago. Seems like Mariano's is getting bigger but I've never been to one. According to the Tribune, 11 will become Marianos.
The former CEO of Dominick's is the guy who started Mariano's L-O-L. Talk about a kick in the teeth..pretty awesome though.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:59 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
Will anyone be missing this grocery store chain?
Not me, because I rarely shopped there. Too far from where I live.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:25 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
My friend told me they were having a massive sale on alcohol today, and today only. Like 50-60% off. I hope it was just his Dominick's. I wouldn't mind picking up a heavily discounted bottle of wine soon.
It seems to be them all. I went to mine on Sunday and it was packed with people and there was NOTHING left in the shelves except old frozen items, liquor, and fresh produce. It looked like a natural disaster had occurred. It was a bit depressing.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:30 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
The strategy of Dominicks under the old family ownership and the leadership or Bob Mariano was to try to sell more high margin items like ready-to-eat meals, fancy salad bar items and specialty foods. The pennywise/ pound foolish leadership that took over when the chain was bought by Safeway started by cutting staff and trying to get the remaining crew to deliver a high level of service. They shifted away from the higher margin items, replaced a lot of local suppliers with the Safeway system replacements and then faced brutal price competition. Not to mention that Safway very likely massively overpaid for the whole Dominick's chain...

I honestly feel awful for the older cashiers, dept managers and store operations folks that worked out of Oak Brook or the Northlake distribution center. Even if Mariano's needs some of these folks the loss of seniority and likely cut in benefits will make things hard for folks without any good options.

I hope that the locations that Mariano's is buying will be profitable but the increased pressures from the relatively booming locals like Pete's, Caputo's and various mid-sized members of Centrella along with the national and discounters really will make things tough...

In general the history of other "retail liquidations" going all the way back to businesses like Korvettes, Zayre, Venture, Eagle, A&P and other chains that went bust / left the market has been much harder on lower income areas. In nicer areas the retail space tends to get renovated / re-rented to other businesses that continue to generate sales tax that is important to local businesses while in the areas that most need these low skill jobs and revenue too often the big retail space ends up as a warehouse or some kind of storefront church...

Old 12-17-2013, 11:16 AM

255 posts, read 583,725 times
Quote:
I don't know if it was just yesterday, but I believe it was all of the stores being closed. I know someone who is getting married this weekend, and she loaded up on beer and wine at 7am yesterday for her reception.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:16 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:
Almost all the alcohol was sold in under an hour. By 9 AM yesterday a friend of mine said that the one on Chicago Ave. only had things like Campari and bitters left (I had him get me some Campari and Aperol).

All of the Mariano's I've been to have been decent, and very busy. As long as they keep the selection and service at the current levels I'm sure they'll do fine for quite awhile.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:58 PM

That's funny and not surprising. My friend showed me pictures of his Dominick's from Northbrook. Almost all the wine was out and the only beer left was ****ty beer like Bud Light Lime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago