Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 03:11 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlee View Post
Yes, totally know this. Not saying you don't have it -- of course you do! It's just an issue of improved marketing and storytelling.
I don't think it's a problem. Anybody who shops at Hermes in this day is going to find out whether the city they are visiting or not has it and where it is. Now, i this was like 1975, I'd maybe half agree, but for visitors into this stuff - they know about it already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 02:55 AM

79 posts, read 140,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlee View Post
Oh, I realize this thread was about NYC. I just wanted to talk a bit about the tourism angle. Sorry if I went off-topic.
No, it's good you on to something.

I don't think the centralization is the problem actually it's a good thing because keeps the tourist within the area making them stay longer.

Just like what sydlee said, the city needs to be more out there in the media like with LA and NYC if the mayor wanted the city tourist to really boom. The Hollywood sign is just nothing more than wooden shape letter that sit on top of a hill. But that doesn't stop attracting tourist from around the world by the dozens, it's because they all seen it on the big screen and wanted to recreate that experience and see it for themselves, and other areas that has been shown off a bunch of times in LA.

Example would be I don't think the cloud gate is great attraction to me it's just big metal bean, but it still bring many people over just to take pics with. But let's say if bunch of huge celeb came over and take a pic with the cloud gate even put their finger print on it, it will bring a lot of buzz/hype to it which more people would come out just to see.

Same can happen with the times sq river walk (I would just call it the river walk) just put a lot of bars, restaurants, exclusive stores etc on upper street level part then street venders selling tourist thing opening around the clock with extra security and some heavy media marketing behind it and it can't fail.

I believe it would truly compete against times sq if they had done it on state street. State st already has bars,restaurants, shops and broadway theatre (which times sq is known for) plus major "L" stop there, all it's missing the big flashing lights. My 2 cents...

Last edited by Lollapalooza773; 02-01-2014 at 03:06 AM..

Old 02-01-2014, 12:34 PM

73 posts, read 109,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollapalooza773 View Post

I don't think the centralization is the problem actually it's a good thing because keeps the tourist within the area making them stay longer.

Just like what sydlee said, the city needs to be more out there in the media like with LA and NYC if the mayor wanted the city tourist to really boom. The Hollywood sign is just nothing more than wooden shape letter that sit on top of a hill. But that doesn't stop attracting tourist from around the world by the dozens, it's because they all seen it on the big screen and wanted to recreate that experience and see it for themselves, and other areas that has been shown off a bunch of times in LA.

Example would be I don't think the cloud gate is great attraction to me it's just big metal bean, but it still bring many people over just to take pics with. But let's say if bunch of huge celeb came over and take a pic with the cloud gate even put their finger print on it, it will bring a lot of buzz/hype to it which more people would come out just to see.

Same can happen with the times sq river walk (I would just call it the river walk) just put a lot of bars, restaurants, exclusive stores etc on upper street level part then street venders selling tourist thing opening around the clock with extra security and some heavy media marketing behind it and it can't fail.

I believe it would truly compete against times sq if they had done it on state street. State st already has bars,restaurants, shops and broadway theatre (which times sq is known for) plus major "L" stop there, all it's missing the big flashing lights. My 2 cents...

I think the bigger problem is ordinance. State street loses that potential because that area is dead after 7pm every day. If they want more tourists, they should not only add reasons to visit (which this river walk thing could accomplish ), but they should also have more vibrance longer.

But I stand by my opinion that some character of Chicago will sacrifice if it becomes even more world-class. This could be a good and bad thing but I guess we will his find out. Hopefully it doesn't become an abandoned billion dollar project like the spire :X

Old 02-01-2014, 12:39 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoguy91 View Post
I think the bigger problem is ordinance. State street loses that potential because that area is dead after 7pm every day. If they want more tourists, they should not only add reasons to visit (which this river walk thing could accomplish ), but they should also have more vibrance longer.

But I stand by my opinion that some character of Chicago will sacrifice if it becomes even more world-class. This could be a good and bad thing but I guess we will his find out. Hopefully it doesn't become an abandoned billion dollar project like the spire :X
State Street is only dead in the Loop and even then it's more like after 8pm or 9pm it's dead. It's definitely one of the more lively spots in the Loop. State Street is still very alive north of the river well into the night usually. I remember this summer coming back from a Happy Hour on a Thursday at 9pm, I was actually surprised at how many people were still out near the State/Lake stops.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:42 PM

709 posts, read 1,130,298 times
Chicago will never be the next NYC. It will always be in New York's shadow as a "wanna be". Like a son or daughter trying to follow in the footsteps of their much better parents.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:09 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
Chicago will never be the next NYC.
I hope this is true. Overcrowded, overpriced and over-dirty is not my idea of a good time. Chicago could be better than NYC, and probably America's best city, but it keeps building up the Emerald City and leaving surrounding areas to rot. A great city that does not make.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:34 AM

73 posts, read 109,194 times
Quote:
Chicago will never be the next NYC. It will always be in New York's shadow as a "wanna be". Like a son or daughter trying to follow in the footsteps of their much better parents.

Let's hope the cost of living never gets that high >_______<

Old 02-03-2014, 02:06 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
... I believe it would truly compete against times sq if they had done it on state street. State st already has bars,restaurants, shops and broadway theatre (which times sq is known for) plus major "L" stop there, all it's missing the big flashing lights. My 2 cents...
They tried making State Street a "destination". It didn't work. Why Was the State Street Pedestrian Mall a “Failure”? | Streetsblog Chicago

Old 02-03-2014, 04:37 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
Quote:
There must be something about Chicago that attracts you. Why else would you waste your time trolling the Chicago forum? DC is a pretty boring place so maybe you don't have anything else to do.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:22 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:

People would go to Hollywood whether there is a sign or not.

Have you seen times square lately? There is nothing in Chicago that is remotely close to that area.

That is like saying the East River is going to be more like Lake Michigan, it can't handle that kind of area.

LA and NYC are in the media b/c they are by far the most populated metros at 22 million and 17 million people respectively plus the media industries are there. Chicago is not at 10 mil yet.

Chicago doesn't need to try to be like NYC, it is a losing battle. It should do things differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago