Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 12:00 PM

112 posts, read 172,475 times

Advertisements

For a one night stopover.....

1. Is the location of this hotel on N. Rush and E. Illinois a lengthy trek in from O'Hare by car?

2. For a non US visitor, in a safe downtown vicinity?

3. Blue's, Jazz clubs nearby?

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 12:12 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,907,370 times
Its in an area with a lot of nightlife. You should be able to walk to cab it to your destinations. O Hare is not close...like most airports its probably about a good twelve to fifteen miles away from the hotel or downtown area. You can get there by "L" or you can drive on the Kennedy Expressway which can be jammed up. The hotel is in a safe area but be careful because there can be pickpockets and other such crimes going on.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:19 PM

Many thanks.........

TDJ

Old 02-01-2014, 12:29 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,838,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. DarcyJones View Post
For a one night stopover.....

1. Is the location of this hotel on N. Rush and E. Illinois a lengthy trek in from O'Hare by car?

2. For a non US visitor, in a safe downtown vicinity?

3. Blue's, Jazz clubs nearby?

Many thanks.
1) Unless you plan on going to the far reaches of town, you won't need a car. Chicago in this area is very walkable (and many other areas), with a good public transit system as well (train and bus). Furthermore, the parking downtown is a rip off usually and most places are going to charge you at least $30/day to park, and some even more. Then you'll have your car sitting dormant in a garage while you're walking around and such. It's a waste of money unless you're going to the far reaches. My suggestion is to either take a cab from O'Hare (~$40-$45 after tip) or take the Blue Line train from O'Hare, which is safe and runs 24/7, into downtown. Transfer at the Jackson stop to the Red Line and your hotel is right near the Grand stop. Total time will probably be 55 minutes for that and it's $5 USD per ride.

2) Yes, it's safe. It's a big city so anything can happen and while weird stuff can happen to tourists, it's pretty rare. Just practice regular urban city know how. Also not sure what Toria is talking about with pickpockets. It can happen, but I live a few blocks north of your hotel and nobody has ever tried to pick pocket me. Yes, you should be aware of these things, but the area is pretty safe.

3)
* Underground Wonder Bar - Near North Side - Chicago, IL
* Andy's Jazz Club - Near North Side - Chicago, IL
* The Backroom - Near North Side - Chicago, IL
* The Joynt - Near North Side - Chicago, IL
* Blue Chicago - Near North Side - Chicago, IL
* Jazz Showcase - South Loop - Chicago, IL
* The Velvet Lounge - Near Southside - Chicago, IL
* Buddy Guy's Legends - South Loop - Chicago, IL
* Close Up 2 - The Loop - Chicago, IL

Not much further away but both good and famous and near a train stop.
* B.L.U.E.S. - Lincoln Park - Chicago, IL
* Kingston Mines - Lincoln Park - Chicago, IL | Yelp

My favorites out of these are Kingston Mines, BLUES, and Underground Wonder Bar. I haven't been to a few of these though, I'll admit. If you want to hear some legitimate local awesome blues then go to Kingston Mines or BLUES. Underground Wonder Bar can be good but it's a mixed bag. Definitely good if you are out at 2am and want some live music (they close at 4am everyday but Saturday when it's 5am close).

Further away, but well known:
* Green Mill - Uptown - Chicago, IL
* Rosa's Lounge - Logan Square - Chicago, IL

Others that sometimes play it, or world music, none downtown:
* Katerina's - North Center - Chicago, IL
* Constellation - Roscoe Village - Chicago, IL
* Mayne Stage - Rogers Park - Chicago, IL

There's also places like this on the south side in less than desirable neighborhoods that still put out great stuff:
* Lee's Unleaded Blues - Greater Grand Crossing - Chicago, IL

Also some old piano bars or Cabaret lounges:
* The Redhead Piano Bar - Near North Side - Chicago, IL
* Zebra Lounge - Near North Side - Chicago, IL
* The Gallery Cabaret - Bucktown - Chicago, IL
* Davenport's - Wicker Park - Chicago, IL

Also, there is the Chicago Jazz Festival which happens at the end of August.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:24 PM

Unfortunately having to pick up hire car from O'Hare and drive into the city. I believe the hotel offers some kind of all day/night parking in their lot included, doubt if I'll use it until departure following day.

Thanks for the lists....... will surely try one, great help.

Thanks again.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately having to pick up hire car from O'Hare and drive into the city. I believe the hotel offers some kind of all day/night parking in their lot included, doubt if I'll use it until departure following day.

Thanks for the lists....... will surely try one, great help.

Thanks again.
Why do you have to get a car from O'Hare? I guess you may have gotten a package deal or something, but almost no hotels downtown offer free parking.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:01 PM

24 hrs in/out free parking package $235 per night!!

Old 02-01-2014, 02:43 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,907,370 times
Well maybe not pick pockets but apple pickers. People have gotten robbed here and there. Don't bob around with earbuds on or look at your smart phone as you are walking down the block...

Old 02-01-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Well maybe not pick pockets but apple pickers. People have gotten robbed here and there. Don't bob around with earbuds on or look at your smart phone as you are walking down the block...
It depends on what you are used to. I wear my headphones everywhere, even walking home alone at 2am in places downtown. I am aware of what's around me and have never had anybody try anything on me.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
24 hrs in/out free parking package $235 per night!!
Gotcha. Car would still be a waste of money even if you have free parking and frankly a waste of time if you only have 24 hours, based on a few factors such as time of arrival and time you'd be leaving to go back to the airport.

Since you only have 24 hours, time may be of the essence. First, if you are coming in from out of the country, you'll have to clear immigration and customs. Then once you're out of that, you'll have to get your rental car which could take a little bit too. Then you'll have to drive into town. This could either be good or bad because the traffic on the road from O'Hare to downtown can sometimes be very bad. If you take the train, it'll take you a constant amount of time no matter what the traffic is like. Then you have to consider the way back to O'Hare which may be the same deal with traffic. Not to mention that you are spending an extra $20-$25 minimum for a car you won't even be using except to travel between the airport and downtown, which the train can do for you anyway. If you are coming in early in the morning or later at night, traffic won't be as much of an issue, but if you plan on getting on the road into Chicago at like 15:00 or 16:00, then I'd highly consider ditching the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago