U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2007, 05:26 PM

16,248 posts, read 22,261,783 times

Advertisements

Do any of you have the things where you can use the automatic lanes of the Illinois tollways? I am thinking about getting one because I visit there often and get tired of having to sit in the pay lanes. Are they a hassle to get? How much are they? Do you need to be a resident of Illinois to have one?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 05:48 PM

11,288 posts, read 23,434,924 times
google it.

Ipass

they charge like $50 or something, but it's all prepaid tolls. I have friends from different states that have them, they're really easy to get. I don't have a car so I'm not sure offhand, but I know it's all online.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:10 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,436,069 times
http://www.illinoistollway.com

I-Pass makes you sexier and cooler. I'm from Michigan and registered using my Michigan address, although I'm a grad student in Champaign and am not "supposed" to be up with all the sexy people on the I-355 and the I-90.

Actually, even if you are rarely going to use I-294, it makes sense. The downside is that the state of Illinois will insist that you give them your credit card number. I wouldn't give them a spare nickel. (I'm a unionized employee of the state of Illinois, being a graduate assistant ... it's exciting.)

You can pick one up at Jewel. I did so at the one in Orland Park, but you might want to find one featured in "Blues Brothers." (I hate Illinois Nazis. Rollers. Well I guess this is Lower Wacker Drive.) They'll charge you $2.90 for a service fee on top of the $10 deposit for the white brick (transponder) and the $40 in prepaid tolls.

Face it ... you can be a loser, or you can get I-Pass. No more picking up people at O'Hare and sitting in lines behind the toll barrier. No more taking surface streets (in Chicagoland, these are slow, unlike in Detroit).

I got I-Pass and I'll never regret it. Or as Elwood said: ILLINOIS. STATE. TOLL. HIGHWAY. AUTHORITY. (actually, it was STATE. COUNTY. MUNICIPAL. OFFENDER. DATA. SYSTEM.) but it sounds just as authoritative.

Once you get your I-Pass, you'll have to get an updated map. The Northwest Tollway is now the "Jane Addams Memorial Tollway." (They should rename the Tri-State for Ferris Bueller.)

You might be singing along with Jake and Elwood, but make sure you take out your transponder BEFORE you go through the Open Road Tolling Lanes. Otherwise, they'll zap your license plate with the camera and charge you a video processing fee. Also, don't be a sap and mount it directly behind the rearview mirror. Whenever I pull my brick off the windshield, I almost rip off the mirror too. Dah.

But wait! There's more! The ISTHA should hire me for promotionals.
You can use the I-Pass in Eastern EZ-Pass systems, like in exotic places such as Pennsylvania and New Joisey. It's the same thing! Except it's from Illinois. We're on a mission from God.

<= Jake AND Elwood

Old 11-30-2007, 07:00 PM

38,703 posts, read 92,578,725 times
Uhm.... I have no idea what the hell he just said. So here's the breakdown without all the cryptic and ungainly attempts at cleverness:

1) They are not a hassle to get; you can get them the Jewel grocery stores or go to the I-Pass website to order one online or by phone. Alternately, if you live in a state that issues EZ-Pass transponders, just get one of those. I-Pass and EZ-Pass are compatible systems, which is extra-handy if you travel in EZ-Pass states like PA, NJ, DE, IN, OH, WV, VA, NY, NH -- pretty much the entire Northeast plus IN, OH and IL.

2) They are not expensive. The up-front cost is $50; $40 of which is pre-paid tolls and $10 of which is a deposit fee returnable upon return of the transponder. Not only that but your toll fare is half that of paying by cash -- where a cash payer is charged $1.00, an i-pass user is only charged 50 cents.

3) You don't have to be an Illinois resident.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:02 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,461,642 times
If you use the system much at all, it is a good thing--as long as you can cough up the credit card and the 50 bucks. You save on the tolls so it will pay for itself in a little while (and the time saving is nice too).

Of course, the paranoid side of me tells me "they're tracking you mdz, they're tracking you..."

I think there was a recent divorce case where the wife was able to get toll records to show that her soon-to-be-ex-husband was driving out to the burbs repeatedly to his mistress.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:28 PM

11 posts, read 37,148 times
Transponders also save you 50% off the tolls and you don't actually have to stop to pay. The most you have to do is slow down for someone in front of you paying, or in the toll free lanes not at all. The detectors aim for the midine of your vehicle.

Of course they are probably great for monitoring speeders. Every time you blow through without a functioning transponder it is already a Kodak moment. How hard would it be once they have your credit card to bill you the 90 dollars or so or whatever it is for toll violations.

One of the side-benefits of the 911 attack was that it gave justification to all kinds of surveillance. Once the authorities know when and where you have been sleeping, what TV shows you watch, what web sites you visit, what you look like in your underwear, etc. well, it will be a brave new world.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:44 PM

11 posts, read 37,148 times
Continuing from above. I forgot to to mention that some other states also accept the I-pass. I believe, if memory serves me correctly, that the Indiana Toll Road accepts them, as does the Pennsylvania Turnpike. The Ohio turnpike does not. This press release gives the details.

09262005 EZPass Integration (http://www.illinoistollway.com/portal/page?_pageid=54,1287853&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL - broken link)

Old 11-30-2007, 09:17 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,307,120 times
>>How hard would it be once they have your credit card to bill you the 90 dollars or so or whatever it is for toll violations.

In our experience, they did not do this.

My DH's car does not have a transponder, but it is registered under mine. If he's gonna take the tollway, he takes it out of my car if he forgets.

Last week we got a "Bill" for $290 for "miss" tolls, not having the transponder.
He called them on the phone, and he told the gal that his car is registered, and she dismissed the fines and deducted the "maybe" $3.60 off of the balance on my 'unit'.

If you have a transponder, they will just charge your CC when you are running low.... $40 at a time.

We too, do not like it that "Big Brother" is watching all the time .... but paying double tolls, or avoiding the Tollways all together would be ridiculous.

Last edited by tcs1366; 11-30-2007 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-30-2007, 11:24 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,436,069 times
I'm just so excited about my I-Pass and that great Governor Rod Blagojevich (his name is on all the Open-Road Tolling points, in case you forget) that I neglected to mention 50% off tolls! No waiting, 50% off, and awesome white transponder brick that will astound everyone in 2020, just like 1980s Dustbusters fascinate us today with 'vintage' design!

The World-Famous Ohio Turnpike, on their website, makes vague noises about accepting the EZ-Pass system sometime before the Revelation. They changed the FAQ within the past month; I thought there was some kind of 2010 date on there (when I last looked at it).

Ohio Turnpike Commission - EZPass FAQ

Old 12-01-2007, 01:54 AM

11,973 posts, read 28,699,554 times
I think this topic has been pretty well covered, but I have one more piece of information to add...

Once you get your I-Pass, make sure to keep your credit card information up-to-date with the toll authority! You need to update your card info every time your card expires, or you could be in for a nasty surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or