U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 02:45 AM

176 posts, read 288,387 times

Advertisements

What months does it start and what month does it ends ? As well how many degrees are we talking about ? and what months are the coldest ? and when does summer starts or finishes ?
There is a bunch of data online however I prefer to collect such data from people who are living there.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 02:58 AM

136 posts, read 192,049 times
When I lived there winter started early November just after Halloween - I remember Halloween nights being cold and rainy even freezing rain. In April it was still winter because on April Fool's day when somebody would say it was snowing outside sometimes it actually was.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:06 AM

176 posts, read 288,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoColts View Post
When I lived there winter started early November just after Halloween - I remember Halloween nights being cold and rainy even freezing rain. In April it was still winter because on April Fool's day when somebody would say it was snowing outside sometimes it actually was.
How about the sky - does the day pass really quick in terms of sun etc...?

Old 02-08-2014, 06:24 AM

4,125 posts, read 7,369,150 times
It depends on what you call "winter". There are the official dates of winter. Weather starts cooling off in October so that you may have to wear a light jacket. It steadily gets colder but is still "Fall" in November. Usually we get some light snow or flurries in November. We don't always get the snow like we did this year. It gets noticeably darker after daylight savings time end in November and by December it begins getting dark at four or four thirty. January is cold and can be snowy as well as February but the temperature starts letting up and its not so cold by the end but still winter. March can be cold and wintry or somewhat springlike. What else is there to know? I don't call the weather after Halloween winter. Its just Fall to me. Winter to me means snow and temperatures around freezing or below.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:31 AM

28,460 posts, read 81,430,245 times
There have been years when Halloween has been down right hot and humid -- upper 70s with more than 70% humidity. Pleasent weather often continues through Thanksgiving -- many a year I've ridden along bicycle paths to try and burn off some of the extra servings of turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie well into December. Even Chirstmas has often been cool but dry and relatively mild -- temperatures in the upper 40s of require some kind of jacket but unless the wind is especially strong or there is precipitation hats and gloves may be unnecessary.

Typically colder temperatures set in around the second week of January and the worst is usually over by mid-Febuary -- sure you still need to keep the heavier coat handy but since days are lengthening noticeably by then and the snow tends not to linger in hard frozen banks / piles walking, driving, and even an occasional jog or bike ride are often not nearly as much of a "battle against the elements".

While there are some recorded snow accumulations late into the spring calendar, fact is days that are longer and warmer really gives everyone a sense that warmer days are right around the corner. Many years the temperatures in May are well into the 70s and the ability to enjoy the outdoors has everyone chomping at the bit for the "official" opening of beaches on Lake Michigan. By late June we will almost certsinly have had some 80+ days and the heat of July and August can be legendary.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:33 AM

4,684 posts, read 9,703,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adham View Post
What months does it start and what month does it ends ? As well how many degrees are we talking about ? and what months are the coldest ? and when does summer starts or finishes ?
There is a bunch of data online however I prefer to collect such data from people who are living there.
Good idea. Avoid the actual data and go with the real information from real people.

Winter starts in September, the temperature ranges from 4 to -23. It ends in February when the average temperature is 63 in the daytime (31C).

Summer starts on Cinco de Mayo and ends in November. We eat lots of corn, or as the Indians call it, "maize".

The sky is very fast in January, sometimes a day can have multiple nights.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:55 AM

3,569 posts, read 6,844,628 times
December to end of February.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:23 AM

14,684 posts, read 16,486,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Good idea. Avoid the actual data and go with the real information from real people.

Winter starts in September, the temperature ranges from 4 to -23. It ends in February when the average temperature is 63 in the daytime (31C).

Summer starts on Cinco de Mayo and ends in November. We eat lots of corn, or as the Indians call it, "maize".

The sky is very fast in January, sometimes a day can have multiple nights.
This is definitely correct.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:03 AM

8,962 posts, read 9,283,446 times
It doesn't finish until you put at least 50 question marks behind your question. I only see about 35.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:24 PM

15,335 posts, read 22,541,732 times
Depends on how you define what winter weather is. Since I've been here - it hasn't start until late November or early December and it lasts until late February or early March, but I have seen fluctuations. I've experienced 50 degree days at the end of December, and I've experienced single digit days at that time too. I've experienced 80 degree days in March and I've experienced 30 degree days in March.

Midwest weather can be volatile. The average temperature in January is 31.5 historically, but that doesn't mean it's 31.5 everyday. It could be 30 degrees for 4 days, then drop down to 18 for a few. Then go up to 28 for a few days, then drop down to 15 degrees for a few days after that, then come back to 30. You get the point I'm trying to paint here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: