Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2014, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,225 times

Advertisements

What's up Chicagoans?

I am currently living in Miami, FL & have been living all my life. So I thought it was time for a change.. so I decided to move elsewhere, So I choose Chicago. I will be attending Depaul University (Loop Campus) Fall of 15' to obtaining my Master degree. I know it's a little bit away but i'm trying to get a hold on which is the best area to live. I was Looking into South Loop, Bucktown & Logan Square. Ideally, I want something that is close proximity to campus but still a good festive area. I'm 24 year old male and would need an apartment between $1000 -$1250 with gym, target (or something of the sort) & grocery store. I do go out occasionally but I will be focusing on my studies and working, so a decent night life would be ideal. I'm pretty much riding solo, so anywhere I could meet like minded individuals would be great. hit me with what you got!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 11:02 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,946,559 times
My brother rents a studio in the loop off ontario for 1200 a month . He's got a gym, pool, parking (extra) etc... he's walking distance from sound bar, castle, and spy bar. Some of the clubs in the city. Ive been to miami 4 years in a row for vacations and get ready for a big change if you come here lol

Old 02-18-2014, 12:15 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,771,714 times
You aren't going to find a lot of 1 bedroom places around your campus for that price, but maybe studios. I wouldn't live in the Loop though as it's a boring place. It's the central business district and not that many people actually live there. Really not that much nightlife or even great food for that matter (there is some but not like in other areas). There are some bars and such but most locals will laugh at you for suggesting the Loop as a place to go out in (minus the rooftop lounge/bar called ROOF near the river). South Loop is OK but still more subdued.

My suggestion is that if you want to live downtown, you should live in Gold Coast, River North, or Streeterville. With that amount of money, you'll be looking at a studio in these areas, but there's a lot more to do there. Otherwise, you could live in an area like Lincoln Park or Lakeview and probably find a 1 bedroom in that range. Lot of stuff to do, eat, etc but it's more racially homogenous there. If you are into more trendy stuff, then an area like Logan Square, Ukrainian Village, etc may be better for you. Coming from Miami though, if you are a regular Miamian, you'll probably want a place like River North, Gold Coast, or Streeterville. I know some people from Miami who live in Lakeview, Wicker Park, etc though.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:11 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,971,395 times
Festiveness is certainly an excellent quality to look for when deciding on a place to live, especially for folks that will be furthering their education.

Hope you already earned your undergrad in a similar manner -- Top Party Schools: Princeton Review Releases 2013-14 Rankings

If you go to DePaul in the Loop there is a Target about two blocks north -- http://goo.gl/maps/i1y4m

There is a much bigger more typical strip mall Target within bicycling distance of DePaul's Lincoln Park Campus -- http://goo.gl/maps/uRybe

Old 02-18-2014, 09:58 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,562,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I know some people from Miami who live in Lakeview, Wicker Park, etc though.
I think this is impossible. No one moves here from the coasts. I know people from Miami here as well, but they live in the West Loop and Lincoln Park. There can't be that many from Miami here.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:09 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,771,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I think this is impossible. No one moves here from the coasts. I know people from Miami here as well, but they live in the West Loop and Lincoln Park. There can't be that many from Miami here.
LOL good one

Old 02-18-2014, 09:37 PM

332 posts, read 520,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwcole View Post
What's up Chicagoans?

I am currently living in Miami, FL & have been living all my life. So I thought it was time for a change.. so I decided to move elsewhere, So I choose Chicago. I will be attending Depaul University (Loop Campus) Fall of 15' to obtaining my Master degree. I know it's a little bit away but i'm trying to get a hold on which is the best area to live. I was Looking into South Loop, Bucktown & Logan Square. Ideally, I want something that is close proximity to campus but still a good festive area. I'm 24 year old male and would need an apartment between $1000 -$1250 with gym, target (or something of the sort) & grocery store. I do go out occasionally but I will be focusing on my studies and working, so a decent night life would be ideal. I'm pretty much riding solo, so anywhere I could meet like minded individuals would be great. hit me with what you got!
The DePaul Ray Meyer gym on the Fullerton stop is actually an outstanding gym if you end up having to pay for it anyway even being at the loop campus with your tuition/etc just live on the red line and it's literally right at the Fullerton stop.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:31 PM

615 posts, read 1,377,654 times
I am very familiar with the DePaul Lincoln Park and Loop campus.

What will you be studying at DePaul University?

I think paying $1,000 - $1,250 for rent as a student is quite high. I know working professionals that earn $50,000+ a year that pay less than $1,000 a month for rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago