U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-10-2014, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
15,322 posts, read 20,686,533 times
Reputation: 7255

Advertisements

The US Census released their migration data by county last week for 2007-2011. You can see for every county (http://flowsmapper.geo.census.gov/fl...per/map.html)- who is moving to that county (i.e. from where) and where people are moving to from that county. Here are the top ranking inbound counties in the US for Cook County outside of Illinois:

1) Lake County, IN - 5044 people
2) Los Angeles County, CA (Los Angeles)- 2501
3) Maricopa County, AZ (Phoenix) - 1988
4) Dane County, WI (Madison) - 1976
5) Milwaukee County, WI (Milwaukee) - 1538
6) Hennepin County, MN (Minneapolis) - 1490
7) New York County, NY (Manhattan) - 1471
8) San Diego County, CA (San Diego) - 1439
9) Kings County, NY (Brooklyn) - 1362
10) Fulton County, GA (Atlanta)- 1355
11) Oakland County, MI - 1229
12) Miami-Dade County, FL (Miami) - 1135
13) Harris County, TX (Houston) - 1030
14) King County, WA (Seattle) - 972
15) Johnson County, IA (Iowa City) - 954
16) Washtenaw County, MI (Ann Arbor) - 906
17) Marion County, IN (Indianapolis) - 866
18) Washington DC - 861
19) Middlesex County, MA (Boston area) - 807
20) Wayne County, MI (Detroit) - 799
21) San Francisco County, CA (San Francisco) - 763
22) Monroe County, IN (Bloomington) - 723
23) Hamilton County, OH (Cincinnati) - 723
24) Kent County, MI (Grand Rapids) - 715
25) Franklin County, OH (Columbus) - 712
26) Cuyahoga County, OH (Cleveland) - 706
27) Queens County, NY (Queens) - 686
28) St. Louis city, MO - 648
29) Broward County, FL (Ft. Lauderdale) - 638
30) St. Louis county, MO (St. Louis) - 622
31) Clark County, NV (Las Vegas) - 567
32) Porter County, IN (Valparaiso) - 554
33) Cobb County, GA (Marietta) - 551
34) Tippecanoe County, IN (Lafayette) - 550
35) Suffolk County, MA (Boston) - 547
36) Orange County, FL (Orlando) - 534
37) Ingham County, MI (East Lansing) - 528
38) Philadelphia County, PA - 525
39) Kalamazoo County, MI - 520
40) Middlesex County, NJ (Edison) - 503
41) Tarrant County, TX (Fort Worth) - 497
42) Orange County, CA - 477
43) Dallas County, TX - 472
44) Travis County, TX (Austin) - 463
45) St. Joseph County, IN (South Bend) - 455
46) Jackson County, MO (Kansas City) - 450
47) Hillsborough County, FL (Tampa) - 445
48) Allegheny County, PA (Pittsburgh) - 431
49) Davidson County, TN (Nashville) - 403
50) LaPorte County, IN (Michigan City) - 396
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-10-2014, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
15,322 posts, read 20,686,533 times
Reputation: 7255
Here's the data by state for people moving to Cook county. This signifies what state the people moved from. As you can see, more people moved from CA than even people from Michigan. I'm excluding Illinois from this (total is 40,000+)

* Indiana | 10439 people
* California | 7505 people
* Michigan | 7158 people
* Wisconsin | 5966 people
* Florida | 5553 people
* New York | 5093 people
* Texas | 4160 people
* Georgia | 3660 people
* Ohio | 3649 people
* Arizona | 2644 people
* Iowa | 2394 people
* Missouri | 2381 people
* Minnesota | 2353 people
* Pennsylvania | 1961 people
* Massachusetts | 1913 people
* Virginia | 1870 people
* New Jersey | 1661 people
* Colorado | 1459 people
* North Carolina | 1403 people
* Washington | 1288 people
* Maryland | 993 people
* Tennessee | 980 people
* Kentucky | 956 people
* Alabama | 917 people
* Nevada | 864 people
* DC | 861 people
* Kansas | 756 people
* Mississippi | 676 people
* Louisiana | 645 people
* Alaska | 532 people
* Arkansas | 489 people
* Connecticut | 457 people
* Hawaii | 386 people
* Utah | 383 people
* Oregon | 377 people
* Oklahoma | 353 people
* Rhode Island | 336 people
* South Carolina | 313 people
* New Mexico | 304 people
* Nebraska | 286 people
* New Hampshire | 282 people
* Maine | 240 people
* Delaware | 179 people
* North Dakota | 164 people
* Idaho | 133 people
* Vermont | 88 people
* West Virginia | 85 people
* Montana | 55 people
* Wyoming | 39 people
* South Dakota | 38 people


By region, excluding IL
* Midwest | 35,584 people
* South | 21,975 people
* West | 15,969 people
* Northeast | 14,149 people (counting WV, DC, and Maryland)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2014, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Seattle
7,457 posts, read 7,513,826 times
Reputation: 10473
Makes sense. States with most incoming people to Cook County are either states in close proximity or are states that are sending a lot of people over by virtue of having a large population base to begin with.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2014, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
15,322 posts, read 20,686,533 times
Reputation: 7255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Makes sense. States with most incoming people to Cook County are either states in close proximity or are states that are sending a lot of people over by virtue of having a large population base to begin with.
Right, but the telling thing is about the other states and cities such as Los Angeles, NYC, Miami, etc. They are close to other big cities, but for whatever reason are moving across the country to Chicago. It's kind of data that goes against people saying the only people who move to Chicago are from the midwest. When you put it together, that's over 50,000 people from outside the midwest who moved to Cook County, which is greater than the number of non-Illinois people moving from the midwest to Cook County.

I want to see what the trend is for other counties in the MSA too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2014, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Seattle
7,457 posts, read 7,513,826 times
Reputation: 10473
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It's kind of data that goes against people saying the only people who move to Chicago are from the midwest. When you put it together, that's over 50,000 people from outside the midwest who moved to Cook County, which is greater than the number of non-Illinois people moving from the midwest to Cook County.

I want to see what the trend is for other counties in the MSA too.
Yeah, I'm generally skeptical of those sorts of claims as they mostly tend to be anecdotal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2014, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
15,322 posts, read 20,686,533 times
Reputation: 7255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Yeah, I'm generally skeptical of those sorts of claims as they mostly tend to be anecdotal.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I meet people all the time from all over the country and world in Chicago. I have numerous friends from Southern California and Florida here who've been here less than 2-3 years and I've met many others in the last year who've moved from there or areas like NYC.

The thing is that on this forum, people generally tend to stay in neighborhoods like Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Uptown, Rogers Park, Edgewater, Lincoln Square, etc and judge their entire opinions based off these neighborhoods. How many times have we heard people saying how many Big 10 people live in Lakeview and Lincoln Park? Sure, it's true but it in no way represents all of Chicago or even a majority of it. These neighborhoods are on the radars for locals to move to and other midwesterners because a few of them have a heavy big 10 focus. Other neighborhoods are way more mixed in who moves to them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2014, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
15,322 posts, read 20,686,533 times
Reputation: 7255
Okay, I summed up all the data from all counties in the Chicago area. The totals do not reflect people moving within the same state (i.e. a move from Grundy County to Cook County is not counted, or a move from Milwaukee county to Kenosha County is not either)

* Illinois | 16587 people
* Indiana | 14695 people
* California | 13405 people
* Wisconsin | 11718 people
* Michigan | 10898 people
* Florida | 10799 people
* Texas | 8404 people
* New York | 7194 people
* Ohio | 5848 people
* Georgia | 5281 people
* Arizona | 4824 people
* Missouri | 4779 people
* Iowa | 4508 people
* Virginia | 4307 people
* Pennsylvania | 3787 people
* Minnesota | 3773 people
* North Carolina | 2994 people
* Colorado | 2704 people
* Tennessee | 2605 people
* Massachusetts | 2551 people
* Washington | 2522 people
* New Jersey | 2406 people
* Kentucky | 2120 people
* Maryland | 1792 people
* Alabama | 1760 people
* Nevada | 1462 people
* Alaska | 1373 people
* Kansas | 1369 people
* Arkansas | 1268 people
* Hawaii | 1201 people
* Connecticut | 1135 people
* South Carolina | 1096 people
* Louisiana | 1074 people
* DC | 1036 people
* Mississippi | 942 people
* Oklahoma | 820 people
* Utah | 773 people
* New Mexico | 695 people
* Oregon | 678 people
* Rhode Island | 639 people
* Nebraska | 599 people
* New Hampshire | 561 people
* Maine | 393 people
* South Dakota | 350 people
* North Dakota | 327 people
* Idaho | 289 people
* West Virginia | 256 people
* Delaware | 219 people
* Montana | 212 people
* Vermont | 126 people
* Wyoming | 109 people
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2014, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Skokiewood
732 posts, read 2,786,004 times
Reputation: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Okay, I summed up all the data from all counties in the Chicago area. The totals do not reflect people moving within the same state (i.e. a move from Grundy County to Cook County is not counted, or a move from Milwaukee county to Kenosha County is not either)

* Illinois | 16587 people
* Indiana | 14695 people
* California | 13405 people
* Wisconsin | 11718 people
* Michigan | 10898 people
* Florida | 10799 people
* Texas | 8404 people
* New York | 7194 people
* Ohio | 5848 people
* Georgia | 5281 people
* Arizona | 4824 people
* Missouri | 4779 people
* Iowa | 4508 people
* Virginia | 4307 people
* Pennsylvania | 3787 people
* Minnesota | 3773 people
* North Carolina | 2994 people
* Colorado | 2704 people
* Tennessee | 2605 people
* Massachusetts | 2551 people
* Washington | 2522 people
* New Jersey | 2406 people
* Kentucky | 2120 people
* Maryland | 1792 people
* Alabama | 1760 people
* Nevada | 1462 people
* Alaska | 1373 people
* Kansas | 1369 people
* Arkansas | 1268 people
* Hawaii | 1201 people
* Connecticut | 1135 people
* South Carolina | 1096 people
* Louisiana | 1074 people
* DC | 1036 people
* Mississippi | 942 people
* Oklahoma | 820 people
* Utah | 773 people
* New Mexico | 695 people
* Oregon | 678 people
* Rhode Island | 639 people
* Nebraska | 599 people
* New Hampshire | 561 people
* Maine | 393 people
* South Dakota | 350 people
* North Dakota | 327 people
* Idaho | 289 people
* West Virginia | 256 people
* Delaware | 219 people
* Montana | 212 people
* Vermont | 126 people
* Wyoming | 109 people
Not clear on this list - is this new residents coming in to these states or leaving these states?

And if you're summing up information for Chicago area counties, why does Illinois appear on the list?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2014, 11:04 AM
 
12,623 posts, read 14,540,975 times
Reputation: 7574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepreacherswife View Post
Not clear on this list - is this new residents coming in to these states or leaving these states?

And if you're summing up information for Chicago area counties, why does Illinois appear on the list?
I believe these are people moving to Cook County specifically. Illinois number is probably people moving to Cook from other counties.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2014, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Skokiewood
732 posts, read 2,786,004 times
Reputation: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I believe these are people moving to Cook County specifically. Illinois number is probably people moving to Cook from other counties.
Not if what Marothisu says below is true:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Okay, I summed up all the data from all counties in the Chicago area. The totals do not reflect people moving within the same state (i.e. a move from Grundy County to Cook County is not counted, or a move from Milwaukee county to Kenosha County is not either)
Since this is supposed to be Chicago area, maybe the Illinois number represents Illinois residents who moved to counties in the Chicago MSA but are not in Illinois (like Lake Co, IN for instance)?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top