Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 10:06 PM

5 posts, read 4,490 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Florida to Chicago, and am a college student on a pretty tight budget. I don't know the city that well, and I am not even sure how to connect with people in order to find potential roommates. Seems like all the roommate websites are outdated.
Any ideas!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 10:17 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,946,529 times
Define "pretty tight budget." Do you have a job? etc..

Old 02-15-2014, 07:02 AM

I'll probably have a horrid minimum wage job (but my parents will be helping me) I'd like to stay around 550 if possible.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:52 AM

846 posts, read 1,401,895 times
Do you have a roommate? Will you be attending college here as you mentioned you're a college student...

Old 02-15-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonjade View Post
I'll probably have a horrid minimum wage job (but my parents will be helping me) I'd like to stay around 550 if possible.
Roommate route may be the best, but there are some studios in areas in the pretty northern part of Chicago where studios could be in that range. However, some of these may require you to pay for more utilities than you hope, or a utility like gas which can be more expensive than you think. If you went the roommate route, you'd probably live a little more comfortably, but you'd probably have to live with more than 1 other person.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:19 AM

I was hoping to find a roommate , but the problem is I don't know how to connect with people looking for roommates. So that's a big problem. I won't be a college student, I just graduated and won't start graduate school until next August.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:27 AM

I can't offer you first hand experience of it, but I have friends who found listings on Craigslist and did Skype video calls with the person(s) who put the ad up just to see. I know others who are in town who've done the same thing and meet up for a lunch first or something to make sure nobody's really that screwed up and if they'd get along.

Also, where will you be going to school? That may factor into where you may and may not want to look.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:15 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,714,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonjade View Post
I was hoping to find a roommate , but the problem is I don't know how to connect with people looking for roommates. So that's a big problem. I won't be a college student, I just graduated and won't start graduate school until next August.
I would honestly suggest craigslist as well, there are a lot of people looking for roommates on there. I would advise some ads on craigslist can be a scam so just be careful. You might be able to find a studio or really small one bedroom for $550 but it might not be a highly desired area. How much will your parents be helping you?

Old 02-15-2014, 12:30 PM

Yeah I'm really hesitant about Craigslist, (maybe I watch too much tv). They'll probably be helping me pay about half of the rent. But I will definitly be holding down a full time job and trying to take care of myself as much as possible. But I guess I will start looking at Craigslist

Old 02-15-2014, 01:22 PM

Where will you be going to school? This matters - Chicago is a large city (both population and land area wise). Of course you should be hesitant about Craigslist, but where else are you going to find roommates before you live here? It may be possible, depending on where you live, to find a studio for less than 550 or 600, maybe..isn't going to be very luxurious though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: