Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 10:03 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
LOL

Oh man. You better leave. Now.
heh. this isnt even bad...wait til the windchills start dipping below zero. during the dayime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 10:20 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
heh. this isnt even bad...wait til the windchills start dipping below zero. during the dayime.
I actually like those days! I kinda wished there was more of them. Seriously.

OTOH, if that person from FL is already bummed out, theyre in for a bumpy ride!

Old 12-05-2007, 10:22 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I guess I should count myself lucky. I loved yesterday and was almost giddy walking home in the snow.

I usually only get cranky about winter in February and March ... oh, and when it snows in April I get a bit annoyed as well. But for the most part, it has never been much of problem. And snow doesn't really bother me that much at all. I have good snow boots, warm clothing (including the most politically incorrect vintage purple fur coat that was given to me last year which I wear when it gets really cold ... given its color, most people think it is fake, which is how I like it) and people, for the most part are pretty good about clearing the sidewalks. I don't have a car, so I don't have to worry about dealing with that. So yes, for the most part, winter here has never been too much of a bother for me.

Now when it gets really cold, I'll moan and kvetch with the best of 'em, but it doesn' go that deep, I never recall dealing with any sort of 'winter depression'.

i was kind of in a crappy mood yesterday, but once i was walking around outside i thought it looked oh so pretty.

i know i was never really a southerner because I love the cold weather.

p.s. I will start looking for a purple fur coat and see if I find you, hah!
I look like a ridiculous bag lady all bundled up, what with my long brown down coat and all, hah.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:45 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
..I'll take a nice, frosty day over a humid, uncomfortable day anytime.

As a native Vermonter, long live cold weather!

Old 12-05-2007, 10:58 AM

319 posts, read 1,250,504 times
Default my 2 cents...

yes, it does feel colder than nyc here. but i was like a giddy little schoolgirl last night when it was snowing. i ran out and played in it and took some photos and loved it. we've been snow deprived in nyc for the most part in recent years. we woudl get a few inches here and there but not usually this soon into the season. i am making the most of it - splurged on a new coat and boots and lots of mittens, hats, long underwear, etc. it's very windy near my office and it reminds me of certain blocks in nyc but for the most part, yeah the buildings are so close together that there are some wind tunnel blocks but you can walk under scaffolding or awnings and sometimes stay pretty protected. i remember my 2 block walk from the subway to work and being under scaffolding for most of it was fantastic. it doesn't feel so awful to me here or so drastic maybe because i expected it and probably because i like it! i'll check back with you later in the season and let you know how i'm feeling then.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I guess I should count myself lucky. I loved yesterday and was almost giddy walking home in the snow.

I usually only get cranky about winter in February and March ... oh, and when it snows in April I get a bit annoyed as well. But for the most part, it has never been much of problem. And snow doesn't really bother me that much at all. I have good snow boots, warm clothing (including the most politically incorrect vintage purple fur coat that was given to me last year which I wear when it gets really cold ... given its color, most people think it is fake, which is how I like it) and people, for the most part are pretty good about clearing the sidewalks. I don't have a car, so I don't have to worry about dealing with that. So yes, for the most part, winter here has never been too much of a bother for me.

Now when it gets really cold, I'll moan and kvetch with the best of 'em, but it doesn' go that deep, I never recall dealing with any sort of 'winter depression'.
yay me too!! you just have to be more creative and make the most of it. i'm going to enjoy catching up on dvds and reading and cooking and stuff. and i've loved photographing this snow. maybe i'll be bold and post some photos of my block...

Old 12-05-2007, 11:23 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
I'm glad for you....but temperature wise....we have not seen anything yet this year. When we get snow, it means we are relativley warm. Definitley check back with us in Feb/March

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_cate View Post
yes, it does feel colder than nyc here. but i was like a giddy little schoolgirl last night when it was snowing. i ran out and played in it and took some photos and loved it. we've been snow deprived in nyc for the most part in recent years. we woudl get a few inches here and there but not usually this soon into the season. i am making the most of it - splurged on a new coat and boots and lots of mittens, hats, long underwear, etc. it's very windy near my office and it reminds me of certain blocks in nyc but for the most part, yeah the buildings are so close together that there are some wind tunnel blocks but you can walk under scaffolding or awnings and sometimes stay pretty protected. i remember my 2 block walk from the subway to work and being under scaffolding for most of it was fantastic. it doesn't feel so awful to me here or so drastic maybe because i expected it and probably because i like it! i'll check back with you later in the season and let you know how i'm feeling then.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:26 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
Right .... we'll revisit this thread then ... and then I'll post my Guinness lamb stew recipe, guaranteed to get you through the harshest of winters (especially if you drink the reminder of the Guinness while eating the lamb stew ).

Old 12-05-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Right .... we'll revisit this thread then ... and then I'll post my Guinness lamb stew recipe, guaranteed to get you through the harshest of winters (especially if you drink the reminder of the Guinness while eating the lamb stew ).
well i can drink the guinness but i'm vegetarian. so no lamb for me unless they are walking around and i can pet them. hahah.

but seriously i love the cold. my good friend lives in syracuse and i visited him there a lot and loved it. i can't wait to wear my new coat and gear.

and i always plan a vacation in late jan/early feb. after the holidays and to break up the doldrums. that's my secret.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I'm glad for you....but temperature wise....we have not seen anything yet this year. When we get snow, it means we are relativley warm. Definitley check back with us in Feb/March
yeah it does feel warmer when it snows. and the wind isn't as cutting. it looks like a snowglobe outside right now. so pretty.

bring it. i've got my favorite kiehls moisturizers, big down coat, etc etc i can deal. my naivete is probably amusing to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago