Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 08:03 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I think lenniel is referring to Karen Lewis' comment that the public sector have been one of the few avenues traditionally available which has shored up the black middle class, and a pension default would hurt that group disproportionately.

I suspect that she's right, and that unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who are convinced that there are lazy black City workers who don't deserve the pensions they worked for - and contributed to.

I also suspect that a pension default would hurt people everywhere in this region. I can't stand this "I don't get a pension, why should they?" race to the bottom mentality...
I understand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 04:37 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
The state needs to honor pension commitments it has made in the past . . .
Why? It's not like those commitments were negotiated by parties situated at arms length. Many were negotiated by administrations that were paid for in part by the unions sitting on the other side of the table from them. If that's the means by which they secured their "commitments," then cry me a river if that's the same means by which those commitments are rescinded. The political process giveth, the political process taketh away.

Last edited by Drover; 02-20-2014 at 04:48 AM..

Old 02-20-2014, 02:32 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Why? It's not like those commitments were negotiated by parties situated at arms length. Many were negotiated by administrations that were paid for in part by the unions sitting on the other side of the table from them. If that's the means by which they secured their "commitments," then cry me a river if that's the same means by which those commitments are rescinded. The political process giveth, the political process taketh away.
It isn't a commitment, it's a legally binding contractual obligation. That can't be taken away by "political process" in the same way that a company can't skip out on it's debts by changing management. Any attempt by the city to unilaterally reduce pensions will result in nothing more than millions in legal bills.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:36 PM

4 posts, read 5,810 times
I have worked my entire adult life and still working part time even though I'm retired. I'm existing on my pension, which I paid into every payday. If it were to change at this point, I don't know what I'd do. My daughter, who recently received her Ph.D. in education is a substitute cps teacher, Very low pay and no benefits. Her school was one of the schools closed by Mr. Rham. She didn't have enough seniority to get another position, because now its back to having the right connections. no one has ever said to me "just rely on the government". The people I know, who are dependent on some government assistance would prefer to have decent paying jobs. And don't forget many of these same folks are working poor.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:44 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
It isn't a commitment, it's a legally binding contractual obligation. That can't be taken away by "political process" in the same way that a company can't skip out on it's debts by changing management. Any attempt by the city to unilaterally reduce pensions will result in nothing more than millions in legal bills.
Yep. Pay the debts, and remember who the buffoons are come Election Day so it doesn't happen again.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:41 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Pay the debts, and pass a constitutional amendment making it illegal for public sector unions to engage in collective bargaining with governments.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Yep. Pay the debts, and remember who the buffoons are come Election Day so it doesn't happen again.
As long as unions get to "negotiate" with political allies on the other side of the table from them whom they helped to put there, it will happen again.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:00 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,838 times
Quote:
As long as unions get to "negotiate" with political allies on the other side of the table from them whom they helped to put there, it will happen again.
Collective bargaining is true to the spirit of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Lobbying via campaign contributions is a tragic consequence of corporate personhood. As long as the SCOTUS defines these donations as a protected form of free speech, we all lose. Don't hate the player - hate the game.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:29 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
Quote:
You also have to remember that the problem with Illinois and Chicago pensions have absolutely nothing to do with the generosity of the benefits. Plenty of states and municipalities have more generous pensions and are completely solvent. The problem is that both the state and the city kept taking "pension holidays" and failed to contribute what they had committed to. A few hundred million invested in the 90's could have saved us billions today.

All unions fought against that. Politicians were the ones who fought for it, and financial companies that were responsible for investing the money gave them the cover to go ahead and do it (in exchange for millions in fees).

Old 02-24-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Collective bargaining is true to the spirit of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Lobbying via campaign contributions is a tragic consequence of corporate personhood. As long as the SCOTUS defines these donations as a protected form of free speech, we all lose. Don't hate the player - hate the game.
Freedom of speech and of assembly that guarantee the right of unions to exist are true to the spirit of the Constitution. But the Constitution does not guarantee them a captive audience, as many air traffic controllers for instance found out the hard way.

Collective bargaining is largely a legislative construct; and since governments are blessed with the inestimable gift of sovereign immunity, they are exempt from the collective bargaining laws that obligate private enterprises to negotiate exclusively with unions should their employees so choose. (Unfortunately, they are also exempt from ERISA laws that require pensions to be fully funded.) This is why many states and the federal government do not engage in collective bargaining with employees over matters of pay and benefits. "The game" in this case can be easily changed by restricting public-sector collective bargaining as many states and the federal government have done. Or at the very least, require collective bargaining be conducted by a third-party arbitrator so that the parties are actually at arms length and not arm-in-arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
You also have to remember that the problem with Illinois and Chicago pensions have absolutely nothing to do with the generosity of the benefits. Plenty of states and municipalities have more generous pensions and are completely solvent. The problem is that both the state and the city kept taking "pension holidays" and failed to contribute what they had committed to. A few hundred million invested in the 90's could have saved us billions today.

All unions fought against that. Politicians were the ones who fought for it, and financial companies that were responsible for investing the money gave them the cover to go ahead and do it (in exchange for millions in fees).
To say it has "absolutely nothing to do with the generosity of the benefits" is nonsense. Obviously underfunding is a big part of the problem. But other factors include allowing people to retire as early as their 50s, inflating employees' salaries toward the end of their service so that their pension is based on a higher final working salary, an automatic COLA of 3% regardless of the actual rate of inflation that effectively doubles pension payouts to those who live to their life expectancy, et cetera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: