Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 11:05 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,459,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
The data doesn't back up the idea of a brain drain from Chicago. In fact, it is widely known that Chicago is a net gainer of brain drain from other Midwestern metro areas.

Why the Smartest People in the Midwest All Move To Chicago | Chicago magazine | May 2013

There will always be people leaving Chicago for California and NYC to hit the "big time". But we are not in danger of any talent shortage, and continue to be a huge draw of the young "creative class", for lack of a better term.
This. We could always step it up though. The State, City and region should always be looking for more ways to create a business-friendly environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 02:51 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,413,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
The vast majority of the yuppie crowd in Lakeview departs for the suburbs once kids come around. You're right that there is no net "brain drain", because younger people take their place, and the cycle repeats, but that doesn't mean that most people don't just look at it as a temporary stopoff.

If you have money and kids, there are better locations (IMO). If you don't, you wouldn't have bought/rented there in the first place.
As others have mentioned, West Lakeview is a totally different ballgame from the areas near the Lake. But looking at it from a different angle: if you were to look at lots or areas where reasonably well-educated 20-something workers congregate in any urban area, couldn't you say roughly the same thing?

There are some places that may retain these people better (like NYC), but even there, you see young Manhattanites starting families and moving to CT and NJ.

Part of the equation is school-related quality/availability, but just as important is what you can afford to buy to accommodate 3-5 person households with a patch of grass. One of the advantages (and disadvantages) or Chicago is that a lot of home is relatively accessible to a lot of people out in the suburbs compared to the cost of the city. San Francisco (on the west side of the Bay) is pretty uniformly expensive no matter where you live, for example. There isn't a lot of difference in price between SF, San Mateo, Palo Alto, etc.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:06 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ Agreed. Only part of Lakeview is transitional. I know many people in Lakeview in their 30s to 50s who have lived there for years, who are settled down. I know others who have moved from there, but it's to other parts of town. Lakeview East, for example, is a pretty quiet and solid area full of many different types of people. Yes there's transplants abound, but many of them do stay there even after they're married.

Actually I have a friend who lives just off Sheffield and is getting married in a few months. He's moving to Southport with his now fiance after they get married. I have another friend who lived in Lincoln Park and moved to Southport after he got married last year.
The vibe in central and west Lake View are totally different. I think South Port seems to be the cut off from the college crowd of Wrigleyville. West Lake View almost seems suburban/urban with all the strollers and nannies out. I believe Lake View is the most transient zip code code in the city.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:46 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
As others have mentioned, West Lakeview is a totally different ballgame from the areas near the Lake. But looking at it from a different angle: if you were to look at lots or areas where reasonably well-educated 20-something workers congregate in any urban area, couldn't you say roughly the same thing?

There are some places that may retain these people better (like NYC), but even there, you see young Manhattanites starting families and moving to CT and NJ.

Part of the equation is school-related quality/availability, but just as important is what you can afford to buy to accommodate 3-5 person households with a patch of grass. One of the advantages (and disadvantages) or Chicago is that a lot of home is relatively accessible to a lot of people out in the suburbs compared to the cost of the city. San Francisco (on the west side of the Bay) is pretty uniformly expensive no matter where you live, for example. There isn't a lot of difference in price between SF, San Mateo, Palo Alto, etc.
...and those prices in CT and NJ aren't a whole lot better, either.

If Chicago ever wanter, or needed, to boost its population numbers, it could always point to the affordable housing prices.

"Not interested in paying 700K for a 2 BR bungalow in SF? Refuse to fork over 800K for a studio in Manhattan? Why not take a look at Chicago?"

Reminds me of an old ad for corn flakes: "Taste them again..for the very first time"

Old 02-20-2014, 06:19 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
The vibe in central and west Lake View are totally different. I think South Port seems to be the cut off from the college crowd of Wrigleyville. West Lake View almost seems suburban/urban with all the strollers and nannies out. I believe Lake View is the most transient zip code code in the city.
Southport and Lake View East are similar, in a way, but Lake View East is less foo foo than Southport IMO.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:26 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Southport and Lake View East are similar, in a way, but Lake View East is less foo foo than Southport IMO.
I haven't heard the term foo foo since leaving the south.

Southport isn't one of my favorite spots. I love the Jewels but that is it.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:04 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I haven't heard the term foo foo since leaving the south.

Southport isn't one of my favorite spots. I love the Jewels but that is it.
ha, funny. Yeah I'm not a huge fan of Southport. A few good restaurants and a theater, some nice homes but I find the people in Lakeview East more down to earth. To me, LVE is more of an extension of the chiller side of Boystown + Andersonville + something else.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:19 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
We could always step it up though. The State, City and region should always be looking for more ways to create a business-friendly environment.
This is definitely what needs to be done, but the big question is how.

The uncertainty of the state's fiscal situation is certainly a drag on the economy, but it can be fixed with higher taxes, which can also hold back growth, so we need to figure out how to balance that. Well educated kids would also be a boon for the state, but that takes investment in offering solid classes and hiring good teachers - things that take money. The same goes for having a good infrastructure, combating crime, and just plain making the city a pleasant place to live in. Unfortunately I think that "business-friendly environment" is frequently taken to mean low taxes and dirt low wages, but when you look at NYC and SF they have very high taxes (even a municipal income tax in NYC) and are doing great.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:44 PM

11 posts, read 15,770 times
I don't think Chicago is doing anything wrong in regards to a brain drain. In fact, I agree with most of the other posters here and think that as some people leave, a little more move in.

What I think is happening now here in San Francisco is a city and region already dominant in technology playing to that particular strength and thus increasing their muscle in that Sector. This is the "big time" in the tech world just as NYC is in finance, LA is in entertainment, DC is in government, and Chicago is in trade and transportation.

The people you might see leaving Chicago may be moving on to the "big time" in their respective fields. But others are probably moving from those cities to Chicago for their "big time".

Old 02-21-2014, 07:34 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliCali650 View Post
What I think is happening now here in San Francisco is a city and region already dominant in technology playing to that particular strength and thus increasing their muscle in that Sector. This is the "big time" in the tech world just as NYC is in finance, LA is in entertainment, DC is in government, and Chicago is in trade and transportation.
And San Francisco is truly a very nice place to live. I definitely see the appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago