Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-20-2014, 02:34 AM
 
190 posts, read 313,470 times
Reputation: 314

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
point of living in an urban area is to be able to walk to things around you, not like 1/2 mile away.
huh, i guess.

i never thought of 1/2 mile as anything approaching a big deal...that's like a 7 minute walk.

i walk well over that to get to plenty of places in my neighborhood (granted it's not downtown, but still).

i've lived in apartments that were further than that from the el stop i walked to everyday.

i walk 1/2 a mile to grab a bite to eat on my lunch break sometimes.

it's like saying someone shouldn't move to logan boulevard because it's too far away from the area around the california blue line stop on milwaukee avenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2014, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
15,331 posts, read 23,762,089 times
Reputation: 7419
1/2 mile isn't big, but Lakeshore East is basically like living in a gated high rise community in the middle of a city that has a minimal amount of amenities. I can't tell you how many people I've met that have moved there only to move away because there's nothing to do apart from your building's gym and pool. I almost moved there when I first moved to Chicago but didn't - glad I didn't because whenever I visit friends there, it's so boring when we want to do anything and always end up going out. I like being able to walk a block or two, or less, to be able to do something, not like 6 blocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 11:42 AM
 
190 posts, read 313,470 times
Reputation: 314
Yeah, I hear ya. It's definitely a pretty sterile area as it stands currently.

Personally, I don't really care for the whole layout or the architecture of the area, so I'd probably never move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 09:33 PM
 
73 posts, read 108,793 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
LOL...if your workplace is at Michigan & Randolph? You take the red line 2 stops, and walk about 1.5 blocks East. The Orange Line will do absolutely nothing for you and if you have a problem with walking 1.5 or 2 blocks then..don't know what to tell you. Getting there from the Red Line is short and easy.

As far as geography goes, Lakeshore East isn't just south, it's South and East. The distance from that building to Hubbard & State is 1 mile walking. From Delware & State to the same intersection it's just over 1/2 mile. Furthermore, the difference is that around the Chandler, there isn't much in the case of amenities. There's barely any restaurants, and I can name maybe one bar that's really a bar inside a hotel lounge (Raddison Blu). The few restaurants that are there, such as III Forks, are not cheap.

Trust me, very boring area. I have friends who live in Aqua near there and I hate going there because there's almost literally nowhere to go around there. It's such a new area that businesses of those types haven't really come yet. You'll basically find a Mariano's, a Walgreens, maybe one other small market, a few semi expensive restaurants, and 1 or 2 hotel lounge bars. It's a DEAD area.

You are also right near a train station and many bus routes, whereas with the Chandler, you are about 3/4 of a mile from the nearest train stop. Convenience to get to other parts of town from the Gold Coast one is much easier. If this was me, it wouldn't even be a question unless that $300/month saved is going to do wonders for you.
I mean i subletted there for a month and a half last summer when I had an internship downtown. but it was summer and my internship was in the loop so i just walked , no big deal, althought about 30min walk each way and sweat usually on shirt -___-

Marianos is a really nice grocery store i like the outdoor eating deck a lot nice view but for practicality, potash bros serves its purposes.

But you are right whenever we go out... cabs. go out a lot = cabs a lot = bye bye moneys.

Also, keep in mind, they have a free shuttle every 15 mins 7-9am that picks u up from the front of the building and drops u off at michigan and randolph. then from there id walk to the sears tower. same deal now, but instead take the redline all the way to monroe then walk a few blocks west.

I mentioned orange line because i believe thats the the nearest CTA stop from randolph and michigan that could take me near sears tower?


Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I disagree with the other posters; I don't think Lakeshore East is so far or cut off from things to do. Why would you live in downtown Chicago if you weren't down to walk to get to places? A few short cab rides a month and you still come out with extra money and a location with less street racket at night.
a few cab rides a month? what about considering i work monday - fri (sometimes sat) and go out almost every weekend (thurs-sun) ... thats a little more than a few cab rides a month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
What is your gross and net income?
enough to afford both

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Stay in the Gold Coast building. Lakeshore East is boring, sterile, isolated, vertical suburb.

Gold Coast puts you in the middle of things, and probably has better bones than any Chicago neighborhood.
i agree gold coast is really in the middle of things. as far as the apt itself, chandler is definitely a step above, with a bigger floor plan and nice view of lake mich. but it is nice being able go downstairs and be emersed in activity. although the park in LSE is nice too. and unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbersoul89 View Post
Yeah, I hear ya. It's definitely a pretty sterile area as it stands currently.

Personally, I don't really care for the whole layout or the architecture of the area, so I'd probably never move there.
I think LSE is just really new, nothing is really developed. BUT if they build that riverwalk thing i mentioned in another post, then that might change..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 11:03 PM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
15,331 posts, read 23,762,089 times
Reputation: 7419
Ah I see, you work near the Sears Tower. I work near it too and I take the red line down to Monroe and walk about 4 blocks, or 1/2 mile, west. It only takes me 8-10 minutes to walk it so it's no big deal, and it's an easy way to walk a mile a day, five days per week. If I time it right, I can get to work in about 15 minutes this way.

The Orange Line wouldn't really get you close because it doesn't cut west along Van Buren, though the Purple and Pink Lines do, but honestly walking that is no big deal especially when it's not bad weather out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2014, 08:44 AM
 
9,882 posts, read 9,488,359 times
Reputation: 10054
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I live 200 feet from 1 E Delaware. It's not crowded with shoppers at any point in the year. The normal crowd from Michigan Avenue is too dumb to come in 1.5-2 blocks. There is a buzz on the streets there especially when it's nice out, but it's not crowded.
I'm remembering when i was picking up my friend from work right there, and it was during christmas, actually the day of the festival of lights parade, well driving thru there was pretty crazy where they had traffic guards waving people on (didn't do too well coz my car almost got hit by a person too impatient to wait to turn before i got out of the way and almost hit me). I told my friend I am NEVER gonna pick him up from there EVAH!!! you also have to deal with pedestrians (MANY) who walk when they think its green but its the left turn signal that is supposed to enable cars to go thru, but they cant wait. and then sometimes the buses on Michigan Ave kinda snarl up the traffic.

However, for lots of energy and activity I would live there and put up with the times that it is crowded, rather than live on kinda boring low energy east side.

The traffic can be pretty busy at times, way more than over by lakeshore east. its navigatable except when there are many shoppers, more than usual.

I found a secret way to escape the crazy downtown traffic jams - LOWER WACKER DRIVE!!! you can zip thru downtown beginning at Wacker and Lake Shore Drive all the way to the Congress Expressway by Racine, but you can leave it if you need to go up on the street all the way. Whats that,, a couple miles? sure made a difference anytime i wanted to not get caught up in traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2014, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
15,331 posts, read 23,762,089 times
Reputation: 7419
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I'm remembering when i was picking up my friend from work right there, and it was during christmas, actually the day of the festival of lights parade, well driving thru there was pretty crazy where they had traffic guards waving people on (didn't do too well coz my car almost got hit by a person too impatient to wait to turn before i got out of the way and almost hit me). I told my friend I am NEVER gonna pick him up from there EVAH!!! you also have to deal with pedestrians (MANY) who walk when they think its green but its the left turn signal that is supposed to enable cars to go thru, but they cant wait. and then sometimes the buses on Michigan Ave kinda snarl up the traffic.

However, for lots of energy and activity I would live there and put up with the times that it is crowded, rather than live on kinda boring low energy east side.

The traffic can be pretty busy at times, way more than over by lakeshore east. its navigatable except when there are many shoppers, more than usual.

I found a secret way to escape the crazy downtown traffic jams - LOWER WACKER DRIVE!!! you can zip thru downtown beginning at Wacker and Lake Shore Drive all the way to the Congress Expressway by Racine, but you can leave it if you need to go up on the street all the way. Whats that,, a couple miles? sure made a difference anytime i wanted to not get caught up in traffic.
Do you even understand what you're saying here? You visited someone on a day when everyone and their mom visits the area during the Festival of Lights. No **** it's going to be busy. That's like saying that you went down to Grant Park during Lollapalooza and it was so busy, therefore all days must be like that, even though you knew it was a unique event that only happens once a year.

As someone who actually lives in that area for the last 5 years, you're absolutely nuts to think it's even 10% of that on any other given day of the year. The pedestrian traffic is not that bad usually, either. There's a buzz on the streets during the summer, but driving is absolutely no problem in that area on 363 or 364 days a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2014, 02:55 PM
 
9,882 posts, read 9,488,359 times
Reputation: 10054
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Do you even understand what you're saying here? You visited someone on a day when everyone and their mom visits the area during the Festival of Lights. No **** it's going to be busy. That's like saying that you went down to Grant Park during Lollapalooza and it was so busy, therefore all days must be like that, even though you knew it was a unique event that only happens once a year.

As someone who actually lives in that area for the last 5 years, you're absolutely nuts to think it's even 10% of that on any other given day of the year. The pedestrian traffic is not that bad usually, either. There's a buzz on the streets during the summer, but driving is absolutely no problem in that area on 363 or 364 days a year.
ok, thats fine. it was the several times i've been thru there in that area that colored my perception of it. I'm glad to hear you have a different experience which is more favorable.

For me, driving, it was too much. you may have a different experience/tolerance level than me.

the OP can decide if your idea or my idea of traffic and busyness is too much or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2014, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Chicago
4,688 posts, read 10,061,898 times
Reputation: 3202
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post

I found a secret way to escape the crazy downtown traffic jams - LOWER WACKER DRIVE!!! you can zip thru downtown beginning at Wacker and Lake Shore Drive all the way to the Congress Expressway by Racine, but you can leave it if you need to go up on the street all the way. Whats that,, a couple miles? sure made a difference anytime i wanted to not get caught up in traffic.
When you say you found a secret way, do you mean your GPS routed you onto a major arterial street?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2014, 09:09 PM
 
73 posts, read 108,793 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
ok, thats fine. it was the several times i've been thru there in that area that colored my perception of it. I'm glad to hear you have a different experience which is more favorable.

For me, driving, it was too much. you may have a different experience/tolerance level than me.

the OP can decide if your idea or my idea of traffic and busyness is too much or not.
Either way I don't have a car lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:05 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top